- B-Team Sequel: Ryan Coogler didn't direct, as he was busy with Black Panther (2018), though he did return as executive producer. It was announced that Sylvester Stallone would direct and produce.
- Cast the Expert: As in the first film with its main antagonist, Viktor Drago is played by real-life heavyweight boxer Florian Munteanu. The now-retired Andre Ward returns in a brief showing as Danny "Stuntman" Wheeler, and Jacob "Stitch" Duran makes a third appearance as himself in Creed's corner.
- The Cast Showoff: Tessa Thompson, who comes from a family of musicians and performs in a band, performs three songs in the film. In particular, "I Would Go to War" to present Adonis heading to the ring of the Moscow Olympic Stadium to face Viktor Drago at the end of the movie.
- Deleted Scene:
- Rocky gives a eulogy at Spider Rico's funeral. It's implied that Rico learned to be a boxer at the same desert training grounds that Adonis would later train at.
- Adonis greets locals at Max's Steaks, and discusses his accomplishments with Bianca.
- Rocky trains child boxers at a gym.
- A brief fight scene between Rocky Balboa and Ivan Drago was filmed, but omitted from the theatrical release. The scene would take place in the hospital by the security desk area. Both would exchange fists before immediately being broken up by security and Drago's crew.
- After the end of the final fight, Adonis greets a defeated Viktor in the locker room and gives him words of encouragement. Ivan sees off Adonis and consoles his son, while Rocky and Ivan nod at each other, leaving on better terms.
- Dyeing for Your Art:
- In order to get into the same weight class, Michael B. Jordan had to gain 25 pounds in muscle for his role, while Florian Munteanu had to lose 20 pounds. (Munteanu still ended up having 25 pounds on Jordan, however.)
- Dolph Lundgren collaborated with director Steven Caple Jr. to change his physique and age the character of Drago to visually translate the poverty and suffering endured, as he colored his teeth yellow.
- Fake Russian: None of the main Russian characters are actually Russian; along with the fake Russians of Rocky IV (the Swedish Dolph Lundgren and the Danish Brigitte Nielsen playing Ivan and Ludmilla Drago respectively), Viktor Drago is played by the Romanian Florian Munteanu.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Brigitte Nielsen was seven months pregnant when shooting her scenes, making it necessary to shoot around her bulging stomach. She gave birth to her fifth child and first daughter, Frida, exactly two weeks after the movie was wrapped up.
- The Other Darrin:
- In the Latin American Spanish dub, Oscar Gomez voices Ivan Drago, replacing both the late Eduardo Borja from the first Mexican dub of Rocky IV and Oscar Flores from the third Mexican one (The second one was done in the U.S. by a Spanish-speaking studio in Los Angeles, CA)
- The same goes in the Japanese dub, as Ivan Drago is voiced by Masaaki Itatori, instead of Norio Wakamoto.
- Role Reprise:
- Dolph Lundgren reprises his role from Rocky IV as Ivan Drago, the brutal steroids-enhanced Russian champion who killed Apollo Creed during an exhibition boxing match and was later defeated by Rocky.
- Brigitte Nielsen is also back as Ludmilla Drago.
- Milo Ventimiglia is back from Rocky Balboa as Robert Balboa Jr.
Trivia / Creed II