- Cast the Expert: The opening scene where the vets in the hospital are talking was totally unscripted. They were real Vietnam vets discussing their own views about the war. Jon Voight was supposed to have added to the dialog, but out of respect stayed silent and listened.
- Cast the Runner-Up: Jon Voight had been considered for the role of the husband, but after becoming involved with the film, he campaigned to play the paraplegic veteran.
- Dueling Movies: Came out the same year as The Deer Hunter, another film dealing with the after-effects of The Vietnam War.
- Irony as She Is Cast: Jon Voight, playing a Vietnam veteran, had participated in the anti-war movement.
- Playing Against Type: Bruce Dern isn't playing a villain or a psycho for once.
- What Could Have Been:
- Fonda had wanted John Schlesinger to direct, but he declined as he felt that the Vietnam experience should be filmed by an American director.
- Warren Beatty, Al Pacino and Sylvester Stallone turned down the role of Luke Martin.
- Jane Fonda wanted Meryl Streep for Vi but Streep had already signed up to appear in a play.
Trivia / Coming Home