- Actor Allusion: This isn't the first time Tim Allen has scared someone into falling off a roof on Christmas Eve.
- Creator Killer: Downplayed. The film's sorry reputation did damage the careers of the people involved, although some of them have recovered:
- Joe Roth directed only one more film, 2006's Freedomland. However, he then returned to producing, the enormous success of Alice in Wonderland leading him to participate in a number of large-scale films.
- Dan Aykroyd would not play a major character again on film, instead choosing to focus on his wine business. Lee-Curtis had no major film roles for fourteen years after this films release, until her leading role in Halloween (2018) helped her avert this trope.
- Critic-Proof: Was savaged by critics at the time of its release, and still managed to become a box office success.
- Genre-Killer: The film's negative reception ended the trend for Christmas family movies kick-started almost 15 years earlier with Home Alone. Ironically, Chris Columbus was involved with both films.
- What Could Have Been: Ally Sheedy was considered for the role of Nora.
Trivia / Christmas with the Kranks