- Ability over Appearance: Alistair was written to be an older Russian man. But upon seeing Augustus Prewe's audition tape, the director rewrote the character to be younger and changed the nationality to accommodate him.
- Actor Allusion: Kim Basinger had lost a child in a traffic accident in the film The Door in the Floor.
- Deleted Role: Chris Massoglia was cast as an older version of Sam, reflecting a scene from the book. He doesn't appear in the finished film.
- Doing It for the Art: Both Zac Efron and Amanda Crew learned how to sail a boat for their roles. You can see bruises on the latter's legs in some scenes, which were the results of the training.
- Dueling Works: Subverted. Beastly was pushed back to avoid competing with this. That film stars Zac Efron's girlfriend at the time and High School Musical co-star Vanessa Hudgens.
- So My Kids Can Watch: Sort of. Both Ray Liotta and Kim Basinger took roles in the film because their children were big fans of Zac Efron, and this would allow them to meet him.
- What Could Have Been: Lindsay Lohan was one of the initial choices for Tess, and she even screen-tested for the part. They decided to cast Amanda Crew instead after they realised that Lindsay was impossible to insure.
Trivia / Charlie St Cloud