- Acclaimed Flop: The movie was well received among critics but performed poorly at the box office. It has since become something of a Cult Classic though.
- Real-Life Relative: The boy who talks to the Sheriff in front of the bank is played by Walter Matthau's son Charlie.
- What Could Have Been: Siegel's first choice to play Varrick was Clint Eastwood, who turned the part down. The movie has a subtle In-Joke about this when one character sarcastically remarks to another: "I didn't figure you for Clint Eastwood".
- Working Title: The Last of the Independents, which is also the slogan of Varrick's crop-dusting business (and wound up being one of the film's taglines).
- You Look Familiar: Andy Robinson, who plays Harman, and John Vernon, who plays Maynard, had earlier appeared in Siegel's Dirty Harry (as Scorpio and the Mayor, respectively).
Trivia / Charley Varrick