- Character Overlap: Loads, with other books by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer. These include:
- The Chester, Lucy and Ozanne families from the La Rochelle books, who first appear in The Chalet School in Exile. Beth Chester and Julie and Betsy Lucy become Head Girls, while Barbara Chester stars in one book.
- Gerry Challoner from Gerry Goes to School turns up in The Rivals of the Chalet School accompanied by Grizel Cochrane, who she has met while studying music in Italy.
- Monica Marilliar and her cousins, Vicky and Alixe McNab - all of whom were originally featured in Monica Turns Up Trumps - are pupils at the Chalet School during the wartime era.
- Nigel Willoughby, the uncle of the Willoughby children in Seven Scamps, marries Rosamund Atherton, and they have two daughters, Blossom and Judy. Blossom is a CS pupil during the wartime and St Briavel's eras, with Judy appearing later in the Swiss era.
- Gillian Culver, the heroine of the Chudleigh Hold series, is a CS pupil during the war years and later becomes Miss Wilson's secretary.
- Jesanne Gellibrand, the heroine of The Hidden Staircase, and her friend Lois Bennett both appear in Lavender Laughs in the Chalet School.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Elinor M. Brent-Dyer converted to Catholicism, hence Joey's conversion and the increasing religious themes in the books, particularly the Swiss era.
- When World War II broke out, she realised it would be impossible for the school to remain in Austria and moved it to the UK. She also wanted to move the Chalet School back to the Tyrol when writing in the fifties, but the occupation by the Allies would have made it impossible, so she relocated it to Switzerland instead.
- Write What You Know: Brent-Dyer was a teacher herself. She actually tried to start up her own school (in Hereford, which became one of the Chalet School's locations), although unlike its fictional equivalent, the school was unsuccessful in the end.
- Briesau am Tiernsee, where the school was established, is based on the real-life Pertisau am Achensee.
- The expedition to the Bourneville factory in Changes for the Chalet School was inspired by a real-life school trip on which EBD went.
Trivia / Chalet School