- Cut Song:
- "Wind Fortress"note , "People of the Root", "Plant (B)", and "Pier Walk". There are also beta versions of at least ten songs.
- There's also the midi versions of all the songs in the Wii version. YMMV on whether they sound better than the final instrumented versions, but according to the composer for the remixes, the final versions sound little like he intended. Also includes some tracks that didn't make it to the final version, such as a version of "Plantation" that uses the main theme in a style more similar to "Plant."
- To a lesser extent, the expanded portion of the song "Zombie" as heard within Guxt and Kero Blaster as evidenced in the way the song's stored within the song filenote .
- Dueling Dubs: The original freeware version has a slightly different translation and artwork compared to the commercial versions, particularly Cave Story+. Some fans prefer the original, fan-written translation while other like the offical Nicalis version. However, the more common points of debate are less about the dialogue and more about the art style: is the original pixel style, the smoother remastered version, or the 3D version better?
- Development Gag: In an early version of the game, all enemies are shaped like bars of soap. Balrog is likely a remnant of this idea, as is Puu Black, the ghost in the clinic in the Labyrinth. Furthermore, "Puu" was Balrog's early name.
- Fan Nickname: Unquote for the Quote sprite that replaces Curly in Curly Mode during the holidays, because of the Stealth Pun. spoiler note
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: The game itself doesn't qualify for the most part, but one specific version, the WiiWare version, became this due to the Wii Shop Channel not allowing any new owners to purchase any games as of March of 2018. Even if you already purchased the game, even redownloading isn't an option once due to the Wii Shop Channel shutting down entirely in 2019. The only way to play this version without having downloaded it back then is piracy at this point.
- Let's Play: Several, by DeceasedCrab among others.
- No Export for You: The WiiWare version of the game has never seen a release in Japan, and, due to the shutdown of the Wii Shop Channel, never will, which is ironic since that's where the game was made. However, it has seen a European release.
- Shrug of God: "How much of this world have you created that we don't see in the game? ...What is Balrog, exactly?" "Nothing of that world exists beyond what you see in the game, as I don't have the skills to construct anything further. I leave the details of Cave Story's world to the player's imagination."
- Word of God: However, according to this video, Balrog is a bar of soap twisted beyond recognition. He also said that King has red eyes "by red flower" which he ate "for the power" and didn't go rabid because "he may have cooked it."
- What Could Have Been: Quote's original name was going to be "Curly Brace". Then someone mentioned to the developer that it sounded feminine to Anglophones, so he changed it.
- The Wiki Rule: Cave Story Wiki
Trivia / Cave Story