- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: Call of Duty games often use the quote "only the dead have seen the end of war," attributing it to Plato.
- Cash Cow Franchise: Since Modern Warfare 2, each new entry in the series (up until and including Black Ops II, anyway) has become one of or simply the biggest-selling game of the year. In 2018, Activision verified the series' sales to be over 300 million units sold, putting it behind only Super Mario Bros. and Pokémon, and that was before the release of several other games (there's also the fact that Pokemon and Mario both had large head starts and their sales are inflated by handhelds, which cost a lot less; not to mention there are 200+ Mario games compared to <20 COD games).
- The 2019 Mobile Phone Game release marks the return of record-breaking numbers Call of Duty has been raking since 2012. Specifically, it accumulated over 100 million downloads in two weeks, making it the biggest mobile game launch ever.
- Cowboy BeBop at His Computer:
- The people who say the Modern Warfare series glorifies war and xenophobia. It's kind of hard to state that when the first game alone shows the horrible consequences of gung-ho military adventurism while having you teamed up with Russian Loyalists the entire time. It also seems to have even skipped a lot of player's attention that the American forces are coming to "liberate" the unnamed Middle Eastern country, with ambiguous and contradictory evidence about whether it's a genuine sentiment or a transparent power play for control of the "oil rich" Arab nation. Y'know, just like real life.
- Can apply to the whole series since every and each installment has at least one level that shows that War Is Hell. However, it's still thought of as "the FPS series that glorifies war" by people who, if they played it at all, paid zero attention to anything but the shooting.
- Fan Nickname: Quite a few people who discovered the original, United Offensive and Call of Duty 2 after playing the next-gen games are now calling them "Call of Duty Classic". The first game was released with this title as a downloadable game after Modern Warfare 2's release.
- Black Ops is usually shortened to CoDBLOPS or just "Blops".
- Name's the Same: There are three important characters who shared the last name Petrenko in the series (Mikhail in CoD 1, Yuri in UO* , and Dimitri). None of them are related to each other.
- No Port For You: A vast majority of CoD installments have been ported/released on the PC. However, two notable exceptions are 3 and The Big Red One.
- Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things: Tactical Insertions in online multiplayer. Originally debuting in Modern Warfare 2, they were intended to allow players to choose where they would respawn after their next death. However some of the community used Tac Inserts as a way to boost for easy XP, unlockable equipment and camos, and easy killstreaks. As a result, Tac Inserts were banished to the Infected game mode in both Call of Duty: Ghosts and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, though this has not discouraged boosting.
- The Wiki Rule: The Call of Duty Wiki.
Trivia / Call of Duty