- Author Existence Failure: GameSpy, which provided the online multiplayer for the PC version, ceased operations in 2013. You can still play LAN multiplayer, though, and the Steam version has since been updated so that it uses Steamworks for multiplayer.
- Colbert Bump: Gave a little one to Cage the Elephant, the indie band who recorded the game's theme song.
- Descended Creator: Crazy Earl the memorably mad merchant is voiced by Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox.
- Fan Nickname: The Secret Armory DLC is often called the "farmory" (affectionately and not), thanks to a glitch that allowed you to easily loot the many chests at the end with no time limit (whereas normal circumstances give you ~3 minutes to grab stuff).
- Sleeper Hit: While not without excitement leading to its release, an original franchise from a relatively unknown studio becoming universally acclaimed was unexpected, to say the least.
- Urban Legend of Zelda: Played with and averted. It may sound foolish to go on the hidden boat in Treacher's Landing and shoot a few barrels, but then something actually happens. It's Tannis suddenly riding around the area on a fish, with unique music to boot.
- What Could Have Been:
- Early trailers suggested a story-based, Real Is Brown FPS with RPG elements and Procedural Generation. It was changed to a colorful, Rule of Fun FPS/RPG with focus on More Dakka. There was an entire story that was mostly cut out and the art-style underwent a total overhaul unusually late in development. All the original concept art went unused, which actually led to one of the devs (the art director) leaving the game industry forever. Helena Pierce also played a prominent role in the trailer, indicating that she was originally supposed to have a much larger role in the original storyline for the game itself, rather than being just one of many sidequest givers with almost no input into the main plot.
- In the Game Informer article, they mentioned being able to disassemble guns into their parts so you could build your own super guns out of them.
- The Wiki Rule: Borderlands Wiki.
Trivia / Borderlands