- Completely Different Title: In Sweden, the film was called "Skälmarnas marknad", meaning roughly "The Market of the Rogues".
- Creator Backlash: Humphrey Bogart reportedly disliked the film, perhaps because he lost a good deal of his own money bankrolling it.
- Production Posse: This was the final collaboration between John Huston and Humphrey Bogart.
- Those Two Actors: This was the last of four films that Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre made together.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: The script was deemed unsatisfactory, so Truman Capote was brought in to re-write it while onset.
Trivia / Beat the Devil