- Romance on the Set: Susan Sarandon and director Louis Malle had a personal relationship prior to and around the time that this movie was developed, made and released. The film was the second of two pictures the two made together, the other film being Pretty Baby.
- The Shelf of Movie Languishment: Filmed in late 1979, the film was not released in the USA until 1981. The picture was released in Canada, Germany and France in 1980. Some territories did not get the film until 1982 and 1983.
- What Could Have Been:
- Henry Fonda, James Mason, Robert Mitchum, Laurence Olivier and James Stewart were all considered to play Lou. Fonda was rejected due to ill-health and its associated insurance risk. Reportedly, when the producers saw that Mitchum had had a face-lift recently, they lost interest. Mitchum had said to them: "I just had my face lifted, and I only play under 45 now."
- Ginger Rogers was offered the role of Grace but turned it down. She replied with a note saying: "How dare you! At this stage in my career, that I'm going to end up in this filth!"
- Working Title: Atlantic City U.S.A.
Trivia / Atlantic City