- California Doubling: Set in Michigan, but filmed in New Zealand.
- Exiled from Continuity: Elements from Army of Darkness weren't allowed to show up in Season 1 due to the film having a different copyright holder, although this didn't stop the show from indirectly referencing it. These legal scruples were resolved for Season 2.
- Mid-Development Genre Shift: The series was originally meant to be the fourth movie, but due to so much material being written, the makers decided to turn it into a television series instead. If the first season was a movie, it would've been around five hours long.
- No Stunt Double: Mimi Rogers threw out her back a couple days before shooting her cameo as Kelly's mother. Nevertheless, she insisted on performing as many of the stunts she could physically do, including fight scenes, falls, and crawling on walls.
- Production Posse: Bruce Campbell, Rob Tapert, and Sam Raimi are together again. Joe LoDuca is back doing the music. There's Lucy Lawless, of course, too. Since the show films down in New Zealand, a couple episodes were directed by Michael Hurst. The inevitable Ted Raimi finally shows up in season two as Chet, Ash's childhood buddy. Joel Tobeck (previously on HTLJ, Young Hercules, and Cleopatra 2525) is the Season 2 Big Bad.
- Real-Life Relative: Lucy Lawless, who plays Ruby, is the wife of co-producer Robert Tapert.
- Role Reprisal: Ted Raimi returns as Possessed Henrietta twenty-nine years after he first donned the fat-suit. Ellen Sandweiss also reprises her role as Ash's sister, Cheryl.
- What Could Have Been: Due to Executive Meddling and Creative Differences, showrunner Craig DiGregorio stepped down late in production of season two, and the finale was radically altered. Among other things, the events were meant to lead into the beginning of The Evil Dead (1981), and Ash was to end up having sex with a woman who would turn out to be Kelly's mother, accidentally changing the past to make him Kelly's father, with that new dynamic affecting their character arcs in the third season.
Trivia / Ash vs. Evil Dead