- Actor-Shared Background: In the film, the Basque Íñigo is portrayed by Basque actor Unax Ugalde.
- California Doubling: The decision to film the TV adaptation in Hungary has met criticism.
- Disowned Adaptation:
- Pérez-Reverte criticized the film.
- Though he shockingly spoke rather well of the TV series (even if he still concluded it was a lost chance), producer Paolo Vasile and most of the executives labelled it as a failure even before its screening. Nobody in the audience really disagreed with that.
- Fake Nationality: In the movie, Alatriste was portrayed by Danish-American actor Viggo Mortensen.
- Remake Cameo: In the series, the Marchess of Hinojosa is played by Luis Zahera, who also appeared in the film playing a character named Pereira.
- What Could Have Been: According to Reverte, he was once approached by two Hollywood execs who wanted to do a film adaptation with poor Alatriste being left in the gutter in favor of a Canon Foreigner who would be his amoral girlfriend. At the end of the film, apparently, this new character would have risen up to become Queen of Spain.
Trivia / Alatriste