Tranquil Fury in fanfiction.
- In Amazing Fantasy, Stain pushes Peter's buttons with his insane preaching and wanton disregard for lives. But rather fly at him in a berserk rage, Peter calmly gets off the floor and dislocates Stain's jaw in one punch before subjecting him to a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- Axis Powers Hetalia fanfic Gankona, Unnachgiebig, Unità: Do not insult food in front of Japan, especially food from his land. Japan nearly provoked a fight with Germany when he insulted hijiki and dried shiitake mushroom spaghetti.
- Bill Cipher, of all people, enters this state when his brother cracks Steven's gem in A Triangle in the Stars. If you ever get a usually full-on raging demon exhibit cold fury, you've done something horribly, horribly wrong and should probably be running. Too late...
- The Child of Love: When Rei gets pissed off she does not yell or threatens. Not at all. She states her intentions quietly before crushing you.
- Child of the Storm uses this constantly. This includes most of the Avengers, as they're conscious of the kind of damage they can do if they lose control of their tempers.
- Watson enters this in the fanfic Mortality, when interrogating a criminal on his friend's whereabouts. It's pretty scary."If your master's actions destroy him whom I regard as-as the best and wisest man I have ever known, make no mistake that I shall hunt down, to a man, everyone who played a part in his destruction."
- It ends badly for said criminal, since Watson calmly, coldly murders the guy.
- He's still in this when he coldly kills Smith. Nice job, Smith. You had to piss off a likeable doctor by torturing his friend, AND GLOATING over the guy while he's dying. Now this mild-mannered doctor is going to actually calmly, coldly KILL YOU.
- Emily Hastings from An Entry with a Bang does this when a friend of hers gets killed, toying with the ASF pilot responsible and taking him out methodically weapon-by-weapon.
- HERZ: When Asuka is angry but she is acting quiet and self-controlled she is actually more dangerous:"Kensuke..." said Asuka dangerously. That meant quietly.
- These lines from Team 8 after Neji demolishes Hinata in the Chuunin Exam preliminaries demonstrate both this trope and his knowledge that Naruto will not take this lightly.Shino: What variety of flowers would be appropriate?
Shino: For your teammate's funeral.
- Ripples, Waves, Tsunamis:
- After an occurrence of Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking, Zoro and Sanji express the crew's discontent at Luffy prioritizing meat over the crew's healing wounds.
- After Zoro suggests cutting off Raijaxs limbs and then having Chopper sew them back on, Nami serenely states that if any of them maim him, she'll crush their testicles in their sleep for the rest of their lives. Even Brook is terrified, and he doesnt even have testicles anymore.
- Enemy of My Enemy: Vtan 'Arume goes into this after his old friend Rukth is killed. Vtan's human friend Perry states that this is the first time he's ever been truly scared of Vtan. Torikus also had a moment during which he acted like a "calculating murderer".
- After his subordinates are wiped out, a Yakuza boss in Kyon: Big Damn Hero enters Tranquil Fury.
- It's also one interpretation of Kyon's mental state after someone nearly killed Tsuruya.
- In the last installment of the Elemental Chess Trilogy, Roy Mustang is on trial for the murder of Fuhrer Grumman. As the Amoral Attorney prosecutor continues to badger him about everything under the sun, he gets progressively more and more agitated. Then the prosecutor is pushing the idea that Roy committed the crime to further his ambitions, and Roy points out that even setting aside the other reasons he wouldn't have done it, he could never hurt his wife by committing such an act."Well," says the prosecutor, "maybe you love your ambition more than you love your wife."
If Ed were blind, he would still be able to see that this is the Wrongest Thing anyone has ever said to Mustang. He fully expects him to light the prosecutor on fire, although this wouldn't exactly help his case. At the very least, he expects Mustang to explode.
He doesn't. His black eyes are burning a hole through the prosecutor's head, but he remains seated, clutching the arms of the chair in a furious grip. And when he speaks, his voice is dangerously low and hissing, and fully informing the prosecutor that he has crossed the uncrossable line.
"I don't love anything more than my wife."
- In The Last Spartan, The Master Chief struggles to remain composed when Saren dismissively calls him by his real name.
- In Progress, Princess Luna goes into tranquil fury mode when Prince Blueblood makes hurtful and lewd comments towards Sundance. She maintains a perfectly calm facade while sending him for a gut-wrenching test ride that leaves him thoroughly shaken, and he makes a hasty exit.
- Fluttershy in Ace Combat: The Equestrian War, while fighting Razor. Until she deals the finishing blow.Fluttershy: I... I will not run! You will not hurt my friends again!
- This becomes Rainbow Dash's default mood after her augmentation in Deus Ex Equine Revengeance.
- In A Month as Naruto Uzumaki, Sarutobi spends a month as Naruto to see how bad the village really treats him. In less than 3 weeks he decides he's seen enough and recalls something the First Hokage told him, "A Hokage must never give into rage. But, should your anger be too much to contain, you must make sure that your anger be three things. Your rage must be cold. Your rage must be reasoned. And your rage must be legendary." In the end, Naruto owns roughly 30% of Konoha, the Uchiha clan is down to six children, and the entire main branch of the Hyuuga clan has been wiped out except for Hinata (Hiashi had told Hanabi about Sarutobi's law).
- In MSLN Test Dummies, Roland goes into this when he learns about the screwed-up training battle Crash has gotten into.
- In White Devil of the Moon Vita gets an uncomfortable reminder of just why she gave Nanoha the moniker White Devil when her sister is kidnapped.
- Friendship Is Magic: The Adventures of Spike: After recovering from Chrysalis' attack, Celestia tracks her down amongst the chaos of the invasion for a rematch in order to punish her for threatening her subjects (especially Spike). When she finds her, she doesn't even raise her voice as she threatens her.
- Harry enters this in Old Soldiers Never Die when, during a raid on a Death Eater hideout, he finds a woman they kept as "entertainment".Harry: Did we take any of them alive?
McLain: A few sir.
Harry: What was that? I'm afraid I didn't hear you.
McLain: I said no sir. They died to the last.
- In A Midsummer Night's Dream, this is Michael's reaction in chapter 8 to learning the ponies found the wreckage of Brawler Yukon and have been suppressing the news for three months.
- In the first chapter of the Star Trek (2009) fic Safe and Sound, Winona Kirk goes into a tranquil fury when she comes face to face with Khan. It's very awesome, and describing it here could not do the scene justice.
- In chapter 25 of the Star Trek: The Original Series fic Insontis, Spock becomes coldly furious when a visitor performs a shirt lift on the eight-year-old Kirk.Spock was utterly expressionless, eyes devoid of anything but pure ice. That in itself was scary, because [the security team] knew that no one was as pure cool Vulcan as their Vulcan when he was restraining the urge to kill someone.
- Just like in Bleach Canon, in A Grudge Not Held, Gin does not get angry easily, but when he does, he stays in control and it is terrifying. In the past, when a Hollow hurt Rangiku, he spent half a hour torture the creature before purifying it. In the present, when Luppi hurt and left scars on her, her husband tortured the Arrancar by gradually chopping off his tentacles one by one before moving to the main body, all while smiling without saying a word. Luppi, in his fear, described that smile as a bloodthirsty smile of a crocodile or a snake.
- In Mega Man Reawakened, Wily has this with Break Man and Bass in Arc 5, chapter 5.
- According to Word of God in The Boy with the Magic Notebook, Coil used his power multiple times during the meeting with other villains and the Protectorate when Maxwell arrives with them due to how much his aid to the city has set back his plans.
- In The Fairly OddParents Fanfic Never Had A Friend Like Me, Norm slips into this after the Anti-Fairies and Pixies threaten to kill his current master (a little girl) in a plot to kill Timmy and out of sheer spite. He speaks in the same sarcastic tone, and becomes stone-faced when silent, but everyone can see the anger in his eyes, feel great magical energy in him building and waiting to be released, and it's terrifying to those present.
- Naruto and Hinata learn they've taken this too far in People Lie when they realize that Sasuke doesn't believe their very serious threats to kill him because they've learned to unconsciously suppress their killing intent.
- When Ichigo's truly pissed in A Protector's Pride, he'll appear completely calm while his reiatsu drives even captain level fighters to their knees.
- In Fist of the Moon Rei notes that Ranma never frowns, yells, or snarls while in the dojo. S/he only ever smiles or wears a serious expression. The latter means you've screwed up. Then, when Ranma is getting ready to "spar" with Mamoru after he condescends about Ranma's abilities, Ranma doesn't get serious. Instead, s/he acts very ditzy and cheerful, answering a question of his with a bright "Yeppers!", before ghosting around every one of Mamoru's attacks (Akane and Makoto are the only ones to realizes that Ranma dodges them all by the exact same margin of distance) before effortlessly handing Mamoru his honey on a platter.
- In the Soul Eater fanfic Oblivion, the Gorgon sisters' mother gets this when five-year-old Shaula tells her how her older sisters have been bullying her and telling her she's too weak to live. She doesn't yell at them, but young!Arachne and young!Medusa are apparently scared to be punished by her.
- In Matsu's Ashikabi, when Dumbledore arrives to "collect" Harry Potter and bring him to Hogwarts (read:kidnap him regardless of Harry's or Matsu's wishes), Matsu is described being so furious she didn't even feel upset, merely "dully polite". She also spends the entire visit plastering Dumbledore and his companions all over the International Most Wanted List, exposing the Wizarding World by streaming the conversation online, and creating plans to unleash the entire Sekirei species upon the Wizarding World in open war if necessary.
- In Weiss Reacts, Ozpin is shown to have a LOT of this under the surface despite his trolling tendencies and his reputation as an Eccentric Mentor.For a moment, as Blake studied Ozpin's expression, she was reminded not of a kindly, eccentric mentor, but of a far older, ancient warrior, his will to fight tempered by years upon years of endless battles, unintimidated by anything that would attempt to make him feel fear. This was not Ozpin the headmaster of Beacon, this was Ozpin, the Huntsman of old, feared throughout the Four Kingdoms and even amongst the Magus Association, the fighter of battles known and unknown, whose name was still whispered in hushed whispers though he had exchanged his battle armor for the robes of a scholar.
- In Nightblade, Rythin usually goes into this when his Berserk Button is pressed, shutting off all emotions and removing whatever pressed the button. One notable example was when it was hammered:Nick: I am so angry right now that I am beyond anger. If Sugou was in this room right now, I would kill him in a heartbeat with my bare hands and I wouldn't give a damn about the consequences. I would crush his throat with my bare hands and watch him die in satisfaction. That's how angry I am.
- In Living History, while being interviewed by a news reporter from the future, Xander learns that Faith had previously told her the two of them were having sex with everyone of age to "Boost morale".Xander: (Getting out of his chair) "Excuse me. I have to go commit cold-blooded murder."
- In The Familiar of Zero fanfic Soldier of Zero, upon learning that Louise has been drugged with a love potion, Saito asks Guiche what's going on, noted as sounding more annoyed and tired than anything. Guiche still feels like someone is holding a knife to his throat. Furthermore, Saito gets his and Montmorency's attention by throwing a butter knife hard enough for it to sink hilt deep into a stone wall.
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged:
- Vegeta himself has arrived at a moment of tranquil fury upon having his tail cut off. It's particularly notable since not much earlier he was in full blown Unstoppable Rage mode, complete with screaming about how he was going to kill everyone. When his tail gets cut off, instead of raging again, Vegeta speaks in almost a chipper tone as he prepares to kill them all.Vegeta: [calmly] You know... I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail... Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full circle. Oh well! Either way, it's time to put an end to this.
- Android 18 has this against Vegeta during their fight. Even before the fight Vegeta has been throwing misogynistic insults at her, which she steadily ignores as she first toys with him, and later starts getting the upper hand against him. A frustrated Vegeta responds by calling her a "Smug cunt." 18 sighs, and without ever visibly emoting, turns the fight into a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown where she batters Vegeta into submission and breaks both his arms.
- Vegeta himself has arrived at a moment of tranquil fury upon having his tail cut off. It's particularly notable since not much earlier he was in full blown Unstoppable Rage mode, complete with screaming about how he was going to kill everyone. When his tail gets cut off, instead of raging again, Vegeta speaks in almost a chipper tone as he prepares to kill them all.
- In Advice and Trust, Ritsuko notes during a test that Shinji looks calm and talks softly, but he is downright furious. She thinks that it's very enervating.
- Thousand Shinji: When Shinji learns about the true fate of his and his friends' mothers, he gets mad... at the beginning.Now he had transcended anger.
A strange calm and clarity washed over him. He would not get mad.
He would get even.
- In The Second Try, when Gendo says he questioned Asuka about her daughter Aki, Shinji gets furious, but he doesnt it show outwardly because he knows that his father wants to provoke him. So he decides to hold back, wait, and then make his father pay.
- Once More with Feeling: Asuka of all people slips into this when she sees Rei's atrocious living conditions, and finds out the whole thing was arranged by Gendo.
- In Death Dancer Ino, upon learning Orochimaru ordered the attack that killed Sakura, Naruto remains outwardly calm while tapping into the Kyuubi's chakra and saying, "He dies."
- An interesting variation shows up in Touched. Xander and Cordelia are cursed so that they're forced to remain in physical contact with one another. Furthermore if one feels despair, the other embraces them, and if one feels anger, both feel pleasure. When Cordelia accuses Xander of deliberately depressing himself so she'll snuggle up against him, he doesn't say anything but both are suddenly wracked by a massive orgasm. Cordelia becomes rather scared of him when she realizes just how furious he had to be for that to happen.
- In The Fire of Futures Past, Stitch gives a Death Glare to Leroy when the latter acts out CEO!626 and Angel making out in his story. He then walks up to the doppelganger experiment ready to chew him out for the act, silencing all the others' laughter in the process, until Leroy stops laughing and begins coughing and rolling around in pain. Stitch quickly calms down at that point and helps Leroy back up.
- This Bites!:
- In Chapter 2, Cross displays this to Luffy shortly after joining his crew, his face expressionless as he issues a very cold speech threatening to maim him if he steals his meat. To everyone's awe, it works.
- In Chapter 17, let's just say Vivi's not happy when she finds out that Cross lied to her about where the Rebel Army was in Alabasta.
- In Chapter 30, Captain T-Bone displays this when talking about the person who sold out his men to Akainu. It's Vergo.
- In Chapter 32, Jessica finding out that her husband has been throwing out the food she's made leaves her speaking in a tone described as the eye of a hurricane.
- Three, very notable examples in Chapter 39, all from the SBS broadcasting the Ohara incident, and Spandam taunting Robin afterwards:
- Upon learning that her classmates lodged a formal inquiry that she's been replaced with a changeling in Mana Based System, Louise is utterly enraged and filled with hatred that they think so little of her that they believe it genuinely impossible for her to ever perform magic. She keeps it bottled inside until she's alone, then practices her magic tirelessly in a fit of rage.
- Mahanon, in All This Sh*t is Twice as Weird, very coldly and calmly lets Briala know why insulting the Lady Inquisitor in front of the Lord Inquisitor is a really bad idea. Big Brother Instinct kicks in fast when it comes to his da'vhenan.
- In Hurt Me after Joyce walks in on Xander and Buffy engaging in some post sex cuddling, she walks into the kitchen and starts making pancakes while being "so calm it was a certainty she was furious". Though it's shown in their conversation that what truly angers Joyce is that 1) Buffy was having her boyfriend over while she's grounded, and 2) They weren't using protection.
- In Her Inner Demons, Sci-Twilight's default mode had become this as a result of the horrific bullying she endured. Outwardly, she was a quiet Shrinking Violet, but her internal thoughts were a thunderstorm of rage.Sci-Twilight: (after an Alpha Bitch bumps into her) Pardon me!Sci-Twilight: (thinking) Arrogant, self-centered, obnoxious bitch! Trotting around here like she owns the place, flaunting the riches of her family when she herself has done nothing! Money-for-brains, that one; I'd like to see how you'd scream if your family business went bankrupt tomorrow!
- Sitting On A Rock, Sunset tells Maud that she's going to keep tormenting Trixie to get back at Maud for bruising her arm. How does Maud respond? She punches a hole into her locker, shrugs off the fact that her arm is bleeding profusely, and asks Sunset politely not to bother Trixie. All the while maintaining her stoic facade. Sunset (reluctantly) backs off and fearfully runs away from Maud.
- Lincoln in Finding A Loud goes this way when dealing with rowdy children. Scaring Lola in behaving, as she's used to people getting....well, Louder when angry. Not quieter.
- In Dreaming of Sunshine, Sasuke enters this state after Kimimaro nearly kills Naruto.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition's Walking in Circles: Solas after he found Evelyn has been made Tranquil. When Ser Clacher found them, the elf just silently walked forward and gave him a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown with a sword instead of just using his magic, finally killed him after confirmed that the man didnt force himself on Evelyn.
- It was so terrifying that later, when Evelyn realizes that hes pointing the same look at Cassandra who demands Evelyn to hand herself over, she immediately begs him to calm down before anything bad can happen.
- He has that look again in the Bad Future when he talked about how he got Alexiuss amulet.
- When Motoko spills the beans on her sister searching for Keitaro's alter ego in Art Pamphlet, Tsuruko initially merely thanks her for the drinks she brought. After Motoko doesn't take the hint to leave, Tsuruko literally drags her out of the room and suggests they "go practice".
- Series Thirty and Three Quarters has Rei display absolutely no emotion while informing Asuka that, if she willingly causes Shinjinote any physical harm, Rei will kill her. After Rei leaves the elevator they were in, Asuka notices that she had pressed the emergency stop hard enough to crack the screen and leave an indent of her finger on it.
- Bucky Barnes enters this state while slaughtering HYDRA agents in Infinite Coffee and Protection Detail.The clench of anger in Barness chest has released. Inside, he is chill and silence. He is eyes connected to hands connected to triggers. His metal arm windmills, deflecting bullets. Like Rogerss shield. He plows through these assholes like retribution.
- In Weight of the Worlds sequel The Shattered Soul, an amnesiac Alfred is betrayed and left to die by Neo, Roman and Mercury, found by Raven and almost murdered, captured by Tyrian and Emerald, and recalls England pointing a gun at him in the Revolution. The last betrayal sends Alfred over the edge and he calmly and silently starts burning everything down with his Semblance, never changing expression.
- In X-Men: The Early Years, Scott Summers informs a guy who has just gotten Jean plastered that he's going to confess what he's done or Scott will kill him. His delivery is so absolutely cold and matter-of-factly the guy hightails it right away.I'm going to tell you what you're going to do, Jose;, and you're going to listen very carefully. If you don't, you're going to be dealing with me. You really don't want to do that. You are going to march right into camp and tell Carol what happened."
"What if I don't do it?" Jose; demanded.
Scott gave him a very chilling smile. "You're going to make me very angry. There's a difference between Warren and me. Warren will rip your arms off and feel guilty about it later. I, on the other hand, will simply hold your head under the water until you stop struggling and I won't feel anything. It would be in your own best interest not to irritate me. Do I make myself perfectly clear?"
- In Neither a Bird nor a Plane, it's Deku!, Izuku is thoroughly pissed off when he realizes that the zero-point robot at the U.A. Entrance Exam is a replica of Starro, perpetuating the cycle of Fantastic Racism that he has been trying to steer clear of for his entire life and throwing a massive hunk of concrete at it to voice his disgust. Despite his anger, he never loses his composure and methodically zips in and out of the fight to keep others out of the crossfire while he dismantles the robot and its drones with his Heat Vision and Super Strength.
- In Back From the Future, Luke Skywalker stops a clone trooper from killing the slaver who started detonating the explosive implants in freed slaves, until said slaver starts talking about fulfilling Hutt justice. Luke calmly agrees that they should follow Hutt justice, for him and every other slaver on the planet. Every slaver is fed to the Sarlaac, much like runaway slaves used to be.
- In Hellsister Trilogy, Darkseid informs Supergirl in a very calm, cool fashion that he is aware that her interference ruined his plans and he's going to kill her now.
- Hurricane in A Brief History of Equestria upon finding out that the father of Pansy's child is an Earth Pony.
- In Kara of Rokyn, rival wrestler Jasmine gives the main character the choice of sleeping with her or getting brutalized during their upcoming match. When Kara tells her to get out, Jasmine states in a scarily quiet, matter-of-factly tone that Kara'll regret her choice before leaving.The woman looked at Kara with the air of a butcher wondering which part of a carcass to start on. Then she turned, stooped, and picked her robe off the floor tiles. She slid it back on, did up the sash, and then looked up.
"You will regret this day," said Jasmine, without due emphasis.
Kara found that the scariest part of their encounter.
- White Sheep (RWBY): When in his Grimm form, Jaune is affected by the negative emotions of those around him, and thus prone to falling into an Unstoppable Rage. However, when Adam cuts off Yang's arm, Jaune starts thinking like a Grimm while remaining perfectly rational—meaning he is completely dedicated to killing the person who offended him, while intelligent enough to use all his abilities and resources to do so.The burning hatred was there, as was the desire to rip and tear for the sake of the joy such would bring him, but it was muted, concealed, buried under something far worse. This... This thing had done something unforgivable. It would die for that. No "he was going to kill it," but the simple fact that it would die. It was already dead. Reality just hadn't had a chance to catch up with it yet.
- In Concerning Us, a Sanctuary fanfic main character Janine reaches the point after a while where she doesn't care about upholding any sort of illusion and freely expresses her emotions, up to and including shouting anyone's head off. Then she's faced with the man whose actions caused the deaths of her brother and her aunt...Janine: I understand. Mistakes happen. Let me tell you what was your last one... You were afraid of the wrong sibling. (she stabs him in the neck)
- In the Diablo III shrine of the Video Game Shrines, the main character normally spends his time making flippant comments and lighthearted jokes. After Adria sacrifices Leah, he marches through Heaven after Diablo, saying almost nothing and quietly obliterating anything and anyone unfortunate enough to get between him and his quarry. Example: Rakanoth takes over the Library of Fate and barely gets a word of introduction in before Benamin immolates the entire library.The One-Winged Demoness: This isnt a great day for the angels. Either Diablo kills them all or Benamin wrecks the entirety of their home.
- Turning Point: While Dracula makes his wrath loud and public, Adrien prefers to be quick and efficient.Adrien/Alucard: I will go, Father. I will go. I will watch, and I will listen, and I will find the people who plotted to do this to us... and I will kill them, that they may do it to no one else. No one but they will know it was the House of Țepeș that brought their deaths.