Twilight the Musical was created by Gliff Productions, a group of plucky high school students running off of seemingly no funding. What it lacks in production costs, it makes up for in effort (with songs set to all-original tunes and masterful editing) and many moments of genuine humor.
Being a parody, the plot is played with and differs significantly from the original.
The project was ultimately never completed but the unrealized script for the rest of the series can be read here.
Twilight the Musical also stands as the earliest online collaboration between Griffin Lewis and Jenny Nicholson. The two would later go on to form the Sherclop Pones persona under which they would produce the abridged series Friendship is Witchcraft.
This work provides examples of:
- Actor Swap: There are two girls cast in the part of Isabella Swan. The creators have said this is to emphasize Bella's vague personality— she's such a flat character, she might as well be anyone.
- Affectionate Parody
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-universe. Mike, Tyler, and Eric border on creepy in their pursuit of Bella.
- Not to mention Edward himself as a schizophrenic murderer.
- And Lonnie's portrayal as a Friendly Neighborhood Rapist.
- Ax-Crazy: Edward. Or rather, "Evil Edward", who lives in the mirror...
- Bears Are Bad News, including the incident with animal actor Shinnuko, as detailed in the blog, which became a Running Gag.
- Big "NO!": Bella does this on her first day of school when people start trying to be...friendly.
- Camp abounds.
- Catchphrase: "Cold things can't feel love."
- "I'm so clumsy!"
- Dark Reprise: The ending of "The Cold Ones" has a more ominous take on the chorus from "The Cullens."
- Double Entendre: "If you think you can go around playing hackeysack with any girl's apples, without any consequences, you are mistaken!"
- Eye Am Watching You, invoked by Edward in the second episode.
- Hilarity Ensues: Pretty much the whole thing.
- "I Am" Song: "I'm New Here". See title.
- And not just the title. Pretty much the whole song is full of this.Edward Cullen: I am a vampire.
- And not just the title. Pretty much the whole song is full of this.
- Incredibly Lame Pun:Edward Cullen: I'm COUNT-ing on it.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Bella.
- Charlie in a cut segment.
- The Klutz: Bella. Lampshaded by her Catchphrase.
- Mockumentary: Most of the "behind-the-scenes" content the cast puts out.
- Noodle Incident:Jessica: ... and then we had to dump the bodies in the ravine. But enough about my love life ...
- Orphaned Series: Hasn't been updated since 2009.
- Parental Abandonment: Renee dumps Bella with her father, Charlie. Step-father Phil makes it clear that he doesn't want her coming home any time soon.
- Perpetual Smiler: Jessica, which is... unsettling to say the least.
- Product Placement: Charlie makes Bella "her favorite breakfast," a prominent meal of Corn Pops.Charlie: But Bella, you gotta have your Pops!
- Rescue Romance: After he saves her from Tyler's van, Edward and Bella share their first romantic look.
- Running Gag: Every time Edward has a fevered conversation with his multiple personalities in the bathroom, he eventuallty turns around to find various baffled onlookers watching him, then he quickly tries to look nonchalant and shuffles away awkwardly.
- Also the incident with bears, Chase's stupidity, and weird accidents preventing the videos from being uploaded.
- Stalker with a Crush: Edward is this for Bella.
- And Eric, Mike, and Tyler.Tyler: I'm gonna give her chloroform!
- And Eric, Mike, and Tyler.
- Talking to Themself: Edward, in his visits to the men's room.Evil Edward (pretending to be Doll Edward): Listen to Evil Edward, Normal Edward! He's got a lot of good ideas!"
- Unwanted Harem: Despite doing everything in her power to avoid being "smothered with too much attention", Bella attracts many devoted admirers (of varying degrees of insanity).
- Wig, Dress, Accent: Pretty much all of the actors in the musical rely on ridiculous costuming to appear more like their characters. Many of them are in wigs.
- That's not a wig, that's her real hair!