Three Sisters (Три сeстры) is a play by Anton Chekhov, first produced by the Moscow Art Theatre in 1901.
It follows the lives of three sisters, Olga, Maria ("Masha"), and Irina over the course of several years. Significant supporting characters include their brother Andrey and his selfish, manipulative wife Natasha.
This play contains examples of:
- The Bad Guy Wins: We meet Natasha as a middle class towns girl, eventually, she grows more controlling of the Prozorov family, as well as the maids.
- Henpecked Husband: Andrey.
- Old Retainer: Anfisa is too old and feeble to be much good as a servant anymore, but is kept on out of loyalty, until Natasha starts running the house.
- Rags to Riches: Natasha's story arc.
- Small Town Boredom: Irina.