The first act of the show compresses several episodes of the anime into one: Ash receives his first Pokémon, Pikachu, tangles with Gary Oak, and meets Misty and Brock. However, Team Rocket is determined to capture Pikachu and deliver him to their boss, Giovanni. The second act breaks away from the episodic formula as Ash journeys to find Pikachu even as his friends think he's pushing himself too far. An unlikely alliance may be the only thing that saves the day, but will Ash ever overcome his daddy issues?
Not to be confused with Pokémon Live!, which was an official Pokémon musical.
This show contains examples of:
- A Twinkle in the Sky: Jessie, James and Meowth rather confuse their Team Rocket bosses when they incorporate this into their plans."You're going to take this gun, and you're going to grab the Pikachu. And if the kid does anything to stop you, you're going to shoot him."
"At what point does the ding come into the plan?"
- Big Damn Heroes:
- Mr. Mime helps Ash and Gary free themselves after Giovanni captures them in the Team Rocket base.
- Later on, they're saved again by Misty and Brock, who defeat Giovanni before he can escape with Pikachu.
- Black Comedy: A lot of the edgy stuff is played for laughs.
- Boastful Rap: Brock's song.Haters blowing smoke,
But all this hatin' is pollution.
God is in my future:
He's my next evolution.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Act 2 is slightly more serious than Act 1.
- Chair Reveal: Giovanni tries to do this with a folding chair.
- Chekhov's Gun: Professor Oak gives Ash a turkey baster, saying he'll know when the time is right to use it. He attempts to use it to free himself and Gary after they're captured by Giovanni, but drops it.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Professor Oak and Giovanni. Oak asks everyone if they're a boy or a girl, thinks he's a Pokemon, and overall is both excitable and not very smart. Giovanni is more competent, but he's in denial about his Pikachu's death from when he was a child and is convinced Ash's Pikachu is his, to the point of dancing in joy when they're "re"united.
- Deconstruction Fic: The show deconstructs Ash's bond with Pikachu — when Team Rocket successfully kidnaps Pikachu, Ash goes crazy, and becomes willing to stop at nothing to get him back. Though Ash recovers Pikachu and all is right at the end, the implication is clear that, if he had failed, Ash would have become just like Giovanni (whose reason for villainy in this is because he himself lost his own Pikachu) in time.
- Eyes Always Shut: Brock's actor closed his eyes for the entire show, since Brock in the anime and games always had his eyes shut.
- Freudian Excuse: Giovanni's mother killed his pet Pikachu, prompting him to capture Ash's, as he wants to believe it's his old Pikachu.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Team Rocket don't completely suck a hundred percent of the time.
- Precision F-Strike: Ash says the F-word when Gary is shot. It's the only time it's said in the show.
- Quarreling Song: Ash and Gary often get these kinds of songs.
- Running Gag:
- Giovanni shooting people. ("One a day, Giovanni, just one.")
- Gary ordering Eevee to use Leer, following the command with "SICK!"
- Time-Compression Montage: Seen with Ash, Misty, and Brock as Ash encounters a man who wants to trade his Farfetch'd, captures Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur, and encounters Team Rocket.
- Too Dumb to Live: Several Rocket Grunts annoy Giovanni and are shot as a result.
- One Grunt reports that an agent fought a boulder for twenty minutes because they mistook it for a Graveler.
- Trigger Happy: Giovanni has a very itchy trigger finger.
- Villain Song: Giovanni gets "To Be Boss" and "Finally," while Team Rocket gets "The Plan." Gary gets several villainous parts as well in different songs.