"Who can sleep? Science!!!"
Always Plenty of Light at the Starlight All Night Diner is a play by Darcy Parker Bruce.
The play is a SUPER queer time travel adventure space play with dinosaurs and lots of kissing.
This play provides examples of:
- All Gays are Promiscuous: Sam pretty much has a new lady every night.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Danni is definitely very interested in Sam despite the fact that Sam only has eyes for Jessa.
- Bittersweet Ending: The play ends with Dr Moxie dying and all three women wondering what to do about the continued threat of the asteroid in the Cretaceous.
- Butch Lesbian: Sam is a hard butch on the outside but a real softie on the inside.
- Cast Full of Gay: Most of the characters are queer.
- Forceful Kiss: Danni, being Danni, is realizing the gravity of being stuck in the past when she realizes how alone she is, grabs Sam, and kisses her — hard, and passionately. This rather effectively communicates her true emotional state, i.e. she's attracted to Sam and a mess at expressing it. However, Sam isn't really into it.
- Love Hurts: By the time Sam and Jessa finally get together they're still stuck in the past with no way to get out, an asteroid is hurtling towards them, and Jessa is still pregnant with her dead husband's baby. It hurts.
- Official Couple: Sam and Jessa are the love story of the play.
- One True Love: After Dr Moxie's death Sam tells Jessa "I know Iím not, Iím not like Johnny and I never will be but maybe, maybe I can be better because I would never leave you and every time, every night when you left and I had to watch you go it was- my heart hurt so much. And I think you and Mae and everything you are together, mother and daughter, i want- i want to help you raise her. i, you might not think Iím good enough or just enough but- but I am." and tells Jessa "her heart hurt" every time Jessa left the diner without her. Jessa reciprocates, telling Sam she knew the whole time.
- Science Hero: Both Danni and Moxie use SCIENCE! to save the day.
- Socially Awkward Hero: Danni. Completely unable to keep her cool around Sam, yet eventually will have to figure out how to save everyone from the second asteroid.
- X Meets Y: Described as a cross between Back to the Future, Jurassic Park and Fried Green Tomatoes.