- A Bug's Life: Flik gives one to Hopper following his No-Holds-Barred Beatdown at the hands of Thumper.You're wrong, Hopper. Ants are not meant to serve grasshoppers. I've seen these ants do great things, and year after year they somehow manage to pick food for themselves and you. S-so who is the weaker species? Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's you who need us! We're a lot stronger than you say we are... and you know it, don't you?
- Gus gives a not-entirely-undeserved one to Stanley in A Troll in Central Park, when the latter refuses to help him save his sister Rosie from Gnorga, out of fear of being stoned:Gus: Oh, come on! Stop being such a scaredy-cat!
Stanley: Eh, but what can I do?
Gus: What about all your powers, "Mister-You-Gotta-Believe-Green-Thumb"?
Stanley: Oh, no, no, no, my prestidigitation, is no match for Gnorga's magic—
Gus: Oh, sure! You're just saying that, 'cause you're scared to fight her! (flowers gasp)
Stanley: Gus! Don't you understand?! In the troll world, darkness always triumphs over light!
Gus: (gives up and begins to leave) You know what, Stanley? You'll never have a dream come true. And you know why?! Because you're too scared to fight for what you believe in! YOU'RE A COWARD!
- Prince Achmed tells Aladdin how worthless he is and that no one would mourn him except the fleas."You are a worthless street rat. You were born a street rat, you'll die a street rat, and only your fleas will mourn you."
- In the Aladdin: The Return of Jafar, Jafar delivers one to Genie in form of the song appropriately named "You're Only Second-Rate", in which he sings about how much weaker Genie is than himself whilst effortlessly deflecting and countering every attack that he throws at him — ultimately finishing it by imprisoning him in a crystal ball, seemingly for good.Genie: Jafar!Jafar: Sorry to spoil your picnic, boys — but I can't have any Genies mucking about, ruining my plans.Genie: Don't worry, Abu! He's a Genie! And Genies can't kill anyone — (is cut off by Jafar transfiguring his hands into fire-breathing snakes that proceed to scorch him) — but you'd be surprised what they can live through!Jafar: (laughs cruelly) You always were good for a laugh!Genie: Oh, yeah?! (Genie transforms and uses powerful magic to blow Jafar up, exhausting him) Ha! Who's laughing now?Jafar: (with a distorted laugh, Jafar warps back up out of the crater, completely unharmed) Why, I believe it's me!
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire has Milo giving a sarcastic praise on Vinny, Audrey, Mole, Cookie, and Mrs. Packard when he finds out that they were Evil All Along.Milo: So, I guess this is how it ends, huh? Fine, you win. You're wiping out an entire civilization, but, hey, you'll be rich. Congratulations, Audrey. Guess you and your dad'll be able to open that second garage after all. And, Vinny, you-you can start a whole chain of flower shops. I'm sure your family's gonna be very proud. But that's what it's all about, right? Money.
Félicie: Looks like you need more training. You are nowhere near ready.
- After finishing her Character Development, Félicie gives a brief one to Camille on her lack of passion, showing she couldn't care less about her insults anymore.
Imelda: I am trying to save your life!Miguel: You're ruining my life!Imelda: What?!Miguel: Music's the only thing that makes me happy! And... and you wanna take that away! You'll never understand!(...)Miguel: But I don't wanna... pick sides. Why can't you be on my side? That's what family's supposed to do — support you. But you never will.
- Miguel gives one to his ancestor Imelda, for banning music from their family and therefore, not supporting his dream of being a musician.
- The Emperor's New Groove has Yzma giving one to Kronk after getting fed up with his idiocy — thereby causing him to make a MookFace Turn.Yzma: Kronk! Why did I think you could do this? This one simple thing. It's like I'm talking to a monkey.Kronk's Shoulder Angel: Whoa, now!Yzma: A really, really big, stupid monkey named KRONK!Kronk's Shoulder Devil: Ouch!Yzma: And do you want to know something else? I never liked your spinach puffs!Kronk, Shoulder Angel, and Devil: (GASP)Yzma: NEVER!Kronk: (sobs)
- Frozen does this on a lot of occasions and all of them is always involved with Anna:
Elsa: What do you know about true love?!Anna: More than you know. All you know is how to shut people out!
- When Anna gets her blessing of marriage to Hans denied by Elsa, an argument escalates between the two of them until Elsa demands to know as to what she knows about true love. Anna rightfully calls out Elsa on being a terrible sister who does nothing but shut her out in her entire life.
Anna: W-What? Y-you said you did.Hans: As thirteenth in line in my own kingdom, I didn't stand a chance. I knew, I'd have to marry into the throne somewhere.Anna: What-what are you talking about?Hans: (puts out a candle near her) As heir, Elsa was preferable of course but no one was getting anywhere with her. But you...Anna: Hans?Hans: You were so desperate for love, you were willing to marry me, just like that! I figured after we married, I'd have to stage a little accident for Elsa. (puts out the fireplace)Anna: Hans, no! Stop!Hans: But then she doomed herself, and you were dumb enough to go after her.Anna: Please...Hans: All that's left now is to...kill Elsa and bring back summer.Anna: You're no match for Elsa.Hans: No, you're no match for Elsa. I, on the other hand, am the hero who's going to save Arendelle from destruction.Anna: You won't get away with this!Hans: Oh, I already have.
- Hans giving this one out to Anna when he reveals his Evil Plan to marry her, kill Elsa, and rule Arendelle as king while at the same time, leaving the girl he married to die from the icy curse Elsa accidentally inflicted on her.
Hans: But she froze your heart!
- Anna gives a minor speech to Hans at the end of the movie, when he sees that the royal sisters are very much alive.
Elsa: That I'd shove on the gloves, thats how your story ends!Anna: It does! It's just like it was, except for well be best friends.Elsa: So thats been your plan ? To force me back in a cage!Anna: Whoa, whoa!Dont get upset lets get back on the same page!Elsa: Gee, thanks for coming up to see the placeAnd showing off your mastery of tact and graceOkay! Run down the hill and spill my secrets, make a full report!Bye-bye!Anna: Wait!Elsa: Cause lifes too short!Anna: There it is!The door you love to slam in my face!You did well there, for a spell, but now youre back in the same place.Kick me out if you want, but Im the only one whoIs not one hundred percent convinced the prophecys you!Elsa: You can think whatever you want 'cause I dont care.Youre a fool who married a stranger!Anna: That is so unfair!Both: I swear Im through with taking your unshaking sisterly support!HAH! Lifes too short!Anna: To let you treat the people down there just as coldly as you always treated meElsa: La la lalala laaaa!Both: Lifes too short!Elsa: To listen to a reckless fool who only ever sees the things she wants to see!Anna: You dont know...Elsa: You have no idea...Both: What I've been through!Because of you!Lifes too short to waste another minute!Lifes too short to even have you in it!Lifes too short!
- The second part of the cut song, "Life's Too Short" (which was from the era of the film's development when Elsa was a villain), was Anna and Elsa calling each other out.
- The Great Mouse Detective:
Dawson: Dash it all, Basil! The queen's in danger, Olivia's counting on us, we're about to be horribly splattered, and all you can do is lie there feeling sorry for yourself! I know you can save us, but if you've given up, then why don't we just set it off now and be done with it?Basil: Most assuredly... you insidious fiend. You're not my Royal Consort! You're a cheap fraud and impostor. A corrupt, vicious, demented, low life scoundrel. There's no evil scheme you wouldn't concoct. No depravity you wouldn't commit. You, Professor, are none other than a foul stenchus rodentus, commonly known as a...Ratigan: DON'T SAY IT!Basil: (making a Dramatic Entrance) SEWER RAT!Ratigan: AAAARGH!
- A rare case of a good guy doing this to another good guy happens in The Great Mouse Detective. After Basil has fallen into Ratigan's trap, resulting in him and Dawson in an elaborate Death Trap, Basil is in a Heroic BSoD, until Dawson finally gets angry at him. His speech ends up triggering a Eureka Moment that snaps Basil out of his B.S.O.D.
- In Home, Tip gives one to Oh for what his species have done to Earth, after he tried to get her to come with him for safety. Tip also tells him his people are not even his family.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame Quasimodo delivers one to Frollo after he realizes exactly how evil Frollo is:Frollo: Now... now, now listen to me, Quasimodo...
Quasimodo: No, you listen! All my life you have told me the world is a dark, cruel place! But now I see that the only thing dark and cruel about it is people like YOU!
- Syndrome, a.k.a. Buddy, delivered some pretty good ones to Mr. Incredible in The Incredibles. The movie directly referred to this trope as "monologuing" - Frozone describes a scenario where a villain once had him dead to rights, but still lost because instead of finishing the job, he stopped to deliver a speech.
- Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie: Khalil lays a big one on Jonah (that is more or less identical to God's "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Jonah in The Bible):Khalil: Would you look at yourself?! You care more about that weed than about all the people in Nineveh!!
Jonah: Well... I...
Khalil: Why are you here now? Instead of back in the belly of that whale? Because God is compassionate! He wanted to help you! And because he is merciful! He gave you a second chance!
Jonah: Oh, yes - and I'm very grateful-
Khalil: Has it ever occurred to you that maybe God loves everybody, not just you?! That maybe he wants to give everyone a second chance!
Jonah: Uh, well...
Khalil: He saw that those people needed help - that they didn't know right from wrong - and he wanted to help them! And that is why he sent you! And when you told them what they were doing wrong they said they were sorry - they put down their mackerels and their halibuts - and they asked God for a second chance. And by golly, he gave them one! Don't you see? God wants to give everyone a second chance! And so should we!
Jonah: Well, if they get a second chance - those fish-slappers - well, then... it would be better if I were dead! Oh, I wish I were back in that whale!
Khalil: (stonily) You are pathetic.
- When Jonah protests Khalil's decision to leave, Khalil then retorts:Khalil: I wanted to be big and important... just like you! But the world doesn't need more people who are "big and important". The world needs more people who are nice. And compassionate. And merciful. That's what I want to be. You can find yourself a new traveling buddy. Goodbye.
Jonah: You can't just leave!
Khalil: Can and am!
- When Jonah protests Khalil's decision to leave, Khalil then retorts:
- In The LEGO Movie, Lord Business delivers one of these to Emmet when he has the latter cornered, right after it's revealed that the prophecy proclaiming Emmet to be "The Special", the destined savior of the world, is made up.Lord Business: Hey, not so special now, huh? Well, guess what? No one ever told me I was special. I never got a trophy just for showing up! I'm not some...special little snowflake, no! But as unspecial as I am, you are a thousand billion times more unspecial than me!
- While it does not appear in the actual movie, The Lion King has an alternate climax in which Simba gives one to Scar during their famous battle.Simba: You think that just because you killed my father, this means you're better than him? You're pathetic, you're weak and above all Scar, you're nothing but a coward.
- Megamind manages to provide one to Titan with two sentences near the end of the movie.Titan: This'll be the last time you make a fool out of me!
Megamind: I made you a hero. You did the fool thing all by yourself!
- The matchmaker gives one to Mulan in one scene."You are a disgrace! You may look like a bride, but you will never bring your family honor!"
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks: The Dazzlings deliver a cruel one to Sunset Shimmer when she confronts them on their true nature. Unimpressed, they mock her claims to be turning over a new leaf, claiming she simply didn't have the power to become a threat, and that for all her talk of friendship, none of the Rainbooms have really warmed up to her.
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Friendship Games: Sunset Shimmer explodes at Human Twilight Sparkle when her messing around with magic endangers everyone's lives, tearing into her lack of knowledge and recklessness for tampering with what she doesn't fully understand. She soon regrets it, though, after she sends Human Twilight running off in tears.
- In Osmosis Jones, Mayor Phlegmming gives one to Drix:Phlegmming: Son, do me a favor and read what it says on your arm.
Drix: For the temporary relief of symptoms associated with—
Phlegmming: Exactly! Temporary. You're nothing but a wannabe, a placebo, a generic brand. Marked-down, over-the-counter, useless Tic-Tac! Now get out of my body!
Leah: Mayor, something freaky is going on with the weather.Mayor Phlegming: We're probably just drinking some hot coffee.Leah: Sir, look at the maps. What if Jones is right?Mayor Phlegming: Jones? Ha ha ha! Funny, funny.Leah: You care more about your stupid re-election than you care about all our lives! Something is going on, and I'm going to the hypothalamus to check it out!
- However, Phlegmming gets one himself by Leah, who is finally tired of his attitude.
Shane: This is so unfair! I'm tired of this! I go where you wanna go, I eat what you wanna eat. Don't you care about anyone other than yourself?
- Frank's daughter Shane gives him a less vitriolic one regarding his health and selfish behavior:
Frank: ...I think about you all the time.
Shane: Were you thinking of me when you packed me that fried Slim-Jim sandwich for lunch?
Frank: Yeah, it was a Turkey Slim-Jim!
Shane: You know dad... maybe if you and mom listened to me more often, and took better care of yourselves... maybe she'd still be here.
- In Rango, the title character gets one from Rattlesnake Jake, who calls him out on his lies and tall tales.
- Recess: School's Out: Unsurprisingly, it happens in a dramatic moment between T.J. and Principal Prickly. Very surprisingly, it's T.J. who is the recipient of it. When T.J. and Prickly are both imprisoned by Benedict, T.J. angrily accuses Prickly and all other adults of being no better than Benedict, not caring about summer vacation. Prickly retorts with a long speech about how T.J. has unfairly cast him as a heartless villain:Principal Prickly: I'll let you in on a little secret, Detweiler. Every adult you've ever known was a kid at sometime in his life. You think we don't remember summer vacation? Riding bikes down by the creek, catching polliwogs in a jar, camping out under the stars? Well, you're wrong! Some days, I sit there in my office, looking out at you kids on the playground and I think, 'They don't know how good they got it. In a few years, they're all going to be grownups like me and all those good times will just be memories for them, too.' So go ahead. Put a whoopie-cushion in my chair. Cover my carpet with fake vomit. Make fun of my big, saggy butt. But don't you ever say I don't care about summer vacation, (voice breaking) 'cause those memories are the last part of childhood I got left.
- In The Rugrats Movie, Tommy delivers a scathing one to Dil after being built up over time by Dil's selfishness, ultimately reaching his Rage Breaking Point after Dil tears their only blanket when they're abandoned in the woods in a middle of a thunderstorm. He gradually gets more and more angry as he rants about how much Dil has ruined his life, and in doing so nearly pours mashed bananas on him for some nearby monkeys to take him away—Tommy: You think this is funny?! Phil and Lil was right. You're a bad, naughty baby and you're never gonna get any better! I'm through being your big brother! I don't want my "sponsatility" NO MORE! (tosses his compass away, the monkeys notice)Dil: My monkey, my monkey! Mine!Tommy: You want monkeys? Fine, I'll give you monkeys. Oh, you have a monkey mommy, a monkey daddy, and a monkey brother! My friends wanted to take you back to the "hopsicle". But noooooo, I said. He didn't mean it, I said. He was only playin'! But I was wrong. Now I don't have any friends. (throws a diaper over his shoulder, the monkeys grab it) Dil wants monkeys, and monkeys want the manners. (takes out the mashed bananas) Ohhh, EVERYBODY GETS WHAT THEY WANT!
- Shark Tale Angie is heartbroken and disappointed upon discovering Oscar lied about being a Sharkslayer. The rift escalates after Gold Digger lionfish Lola forcefully kisses Oscar in front of the cameras. Later, Angie furiously argues with Oscar, revealing the crush she had on him and calling him out as a shameless, opportunistic conman. Oscar sadly leaves.Angie: Just tell me Oscar, because I'm curious. Why do you think Lola's interested, huh? Do you honestly think, for one minute, that she'd even be with you if you weren't the rich and famous Sharkslayer?! Are you that blind?
Oscar: At least she treats me like I'm somebody!
Angie: Yeah, but would she love you if you were nobody?!
Oscar: NOBODY LOVED ME WHEN I WAS NOBODY!
Angie: I DID! (Oscar stares at her speechless: Angie turns away) Before the money... and before the fame... before the lie. To me, you were a somebody, Oscar. Now, you're nothing but a fake. A sham. A con. You're a joke.
(Oscar is deeply hurt by her words)
Oscar: (reaches out his fin) Angie I-
Angie: (rebuffs his fin, on the verge of tears) No, forget it! Just go! Cause I'm tired of hearing about how everything you had in your life wasn't good enough — including me.
(Oscar lowers his head in despair and sadly swims out of the warehouse, while Angie weeps)
Donkey: Shrek, what are you doing? You're letting her get away.Shrek: Yeah, so what?Donkey: Shrek, there's something about her you don't know. Look, I talked to her last night, She's-Shrek: I know you talked to her last night. You're great pals, aren't ya? Now, if you two are such good friends, why don't you follow her home?Donkey: Shrek, I—I wanna go with you.Shrek: I told you, didn't I? You're not coming home with me. I live alone! My swamp! Me! Nobody else! Understand? Nobody! Especially useless, pathetic, annoying, talking donkeys!Donkey: But I thought-Shrek: Yeah, you know what? You thought wrong.Donkey: Shrek...
- Shrek lays one on Donkey near the film's climax when Lord Faarquad retrieves Fiona, having overheard and misunderstood Donkey and Fiona's conversation where she reveals her cursed ogre form, causing Shrek to believe that, while she was self-deprecating herself for suffering this curse, that she was referring to his appearance.
Donkey: You know, with you, it's always "Me, me, me!" Well, guess what?! Now it's my turn! So you just shut up and pay attention! You're mean to me, you insult me, you don't appreciate anything that I do! You're always pushing me around or pushing me away!Shrek: Yeah? Well, if I treated ya' so bad, why did you come back?Donkey: 'Cause that's what friends do. They forgive each other!Shrek: Alright, Donkey, I forgive you... for stabbing me in the back!Donkey: You're so wrapped up in layers, Onion Boy, that you're afraid of your feelings!Shrek: Go away!Donkey: Ya see? You're doing it to me again just like you did with Fiona. And all she ever did was like you, maybe even love you.Shrek: "Love me"?! She said I was UGLY! A hideous creature! I heard the two of you talking!Shrek: She wasn't talking about me? Well then who was she talking about?Donkey: Nuh-uh! I ain't telling you! You don't wanna listen to me, right? RIGHT?!Shrek: Donkey.Donkey: No!
- Not long after, Donkey returns the favor and calls Shrek out on his attitude problems and unwillingness to let people in, despite his evident lonesomeness.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: SpongeBob shows up at the Krusty Krab one day after he is passed over for the promotion to manager again, and he has this to say to Mr. Krabs, whilst completely smashed off his face on ice-cream.King Neptune: Before I turn this conniving crustacean into fish-meal, who here has anything to say about Eugene Krabs?
SpongeBob: (drunkenly stumbles into the door) I've got somethin' to say about Mr. (belch) Krabs!
Mr. Krabs: SpongeBob, me boy, you've come just in time! Please, tell King Neptune all about me.
SpongeBob: (staggers over and bumps into King Neptune) Pardon me, miss! (falls into Mr. Krabs' arms) I have worked for Mr. Krabs for many years, and always thought he was a great boss.
Mr. Krabs: Y'see? A great boss!
SpongeBob: I now realize, that he's a GREAT BIG JERK! I deserve that manager's job! But you didn't give it to me, 'cause you said I'm a kid. Well, I am one hundred-percent MAN! And this MAN has got something to say to youuuuu! (blows a long raspberry at Mr. Krabs, and poses smugly) There! I think I made my point.
Patrick: SpongeBob, what happened?
- Also, at The Climax of the movie, Plankton gives this to SpongeBob when he has him, Patrick and Mindy cornered by a mind-controlled King Neptune.
SpongeBob: Plankton cheated.
Plankton: CHEATED?! (turns to Neptune) Hold on there, Baldy. (Neptune puts his flaming trident out, then Plankton turns back to SpongeBob) Oh, grow up! What do you think this is, a game of kickball on the playground? You never had a chance to defeat me, fool! And you know why?
SpongeBob: Because you cheated?
Plankton: No, not because I cheated! Because I'm an Evil Genius! And you're Just a Kid! (laughs) A stupid kid! (continues laughing)
- In Tangled, Rapunzel gives one to Mother Gothel, after she discovers she is the kingdom's missing princess, and also realizes that Gothel never loved her at all and only wanted to use her hair to stay young forever, reminiscent of Quasimodo calling out Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame—Rapunzel: ...I'm the lost princess.Mother Gothel: Please speak up, Rapunzel. You know I hate the mumbling.Rapunzel: I am the lost princess! Aren't I? (Mother Gothel stares at her, stunned) Did I mumble, Mother? Or should I even call you that?Mother Gothel: (regains composure) Oh, Rapunzel, do you even hear yourself? Why would you ask such a ridiculous question?Rapunzel: It was you! It was ALL YOU!Mother Gothel: (coldly) Everything I did was to protect you, Rapunzel.Rapunzel: I've spent my entire life hiding from people who would use me for my power-Mother Gothel: Rapunzel!Rapunzel: — when I should have been hiding FROM YOU!Mother Gothel: Where will you go? He won't be there for you.Rapunzel: What did you do to him?!Mother Gothel: That criminal is to be hanged for his crimes.Rapunzel: (gasps) No!Rapunzel: NO! You were wrong about the world, And you were wrong about me. And I will NEVER let you use my hair AGAIN!(At this, Gothel's expression hardens)
- The Tigger Movie has one, when Tigger accidentally destroys Rabbit's Rock-Remover.Rabbit: Just look at my Rock-Remover! Everything's ruined, and all you can think about is...(angrily stutters) b-b-bouncing?!Tigger: But that's what Tiggers do best.Eeyore: Exactly. Unlike us.Piglet: Wh-What we're... trying to say is that, uh, we really can't bounce like Tiggers anyway, because, uh—Pooh: —we're not Tiggers.(Tigger looks at them sadly, realising what he's done)Rabbit: (glares at him angrily, before looking away contemptuously) Hmph!
Rabbit: What on earth are you doing?! Stripes? Springs? Have you lost your minds? You should be covering the windows! Counting your supplies! Gathering firewood! Winter is here, and you aren't even ready. What are you doing wasting your time with... What am I doing wasting my time?! I've got serious work to do! At least I haven't lost sight of what's really important.
- Rabbit does it again, when he caught Pooh and gang dressing up as Tiggers:
Rabbit: Are you crazy? It's not safe out here.Tigger: Exactakly! That's why you should all go home where it is safe. But I've got to wait here in my family tree for my real family!
- After finally having enough of Rabbit's behavior, Tigger gives him one saying that time he's going to disobey him.
- In both Toy Story and Toy Story 2, the phrase "You are a toy!" is used to this effect, though sadly it doesn't really take.
- In the first Toy Story, Woody gets so fed up with Buzz being lost in his Space Ranger persona, he snaps and shouts "YOU! ARE! A! TOY! You aren't the real Buzz Lightyear, you're an action figure! You are a child's plaything!" All Buzz does is proclaim Woody a sad, strange little man and that he pities him.
- In Toy Story 2, Buzz uses the phrase to get Woody to stop with his star-struck ideals over being part of the Roundup Gang. However, when Woody refuses, Buzz does get in one that really gets him thinking.Woody: I don't have a choice, Buzz. This is my only chance...
Buzz: To do what, Woody? Watch kids from behind glass and never be loved again? Some life.
- In The Transformers: The Movie, Optimus gives a little one to Megatron in the opening battle, after the latter tried to beg for mercy, when the former managed to turn the fight in his favor. Sadly, this was just a ploy to get Optimus to let his guard down.Megatron: No more, Optimus Prime! Grant me mercy, I beg of you!Optimus Prime: You, who are without mercy, now plead for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff.
The Reason You Suck Speech / Animated Films