- Although some fans consider this moment to be Narm-y, the moment where Rivals where Robin sings 'The Red Sarafan' to Joey, who is critically ill after being immersed in icy water while trying to rescue another girl, and pulls her back from the brink. Even Dick and Jem are struggling to keep it together.
- In-universe, the Passion Play at Oberammergau in The Chalet School and Jo. Even the naughty American girls are moved to tears by it, and Joey is so overcome with emotion that she faints on returning to their hotel.
- Margot Venables' backstory in New House. See the YMMV page for details.
- Joey's Heroic BSoD in Highland Twins, when she receives a black-edged telegram saying Jack has drowned at sea. Daisy and Robin are in bits, having never seen her like that before, and they beg Madge and Jem to come over and help. Madge is unnerved by Joey's eerie calmness and begs her to cry, but Joey can only laugh bitterly about 'the fortune of war'. Then Anna brings the triplets in - and Joey just breaks. It takes Jem giving her sleeping drugs to calm her down. Even after Joey finds out that Jack is alive, she's never really the same afterwards.
- The death of Jacynth Hardy's aunt in Gay from China, and Jacynth's subsequent Heroic BSoD, made even sadder by the letter which her aunt wrote for her before she went into hospital. She knew it was likely she was going to die and wanted to say goodbye to Jacynth.
- Naomi Elton's backstory in Trials. She wanted to become a dancer, but the car crash that killed her parents also disabled her, and she now has to walk with a stick due to muscular degeneration. She also suffers from terrible back pain. She wishes the accident had taken her pretty face rather than her legs, and is jealous of other girls who can move about freely without being in pain. As a result, she's a Broken Bird who's lost her faith in God, believing He doesn't care, resents the other girls and keeps them at arm's length...until Mary-Lou intervenes.
- The death of Lilian, Matey's sister, in Excitements. It's one of the few times we see the more vulnerable side of Matey, and she has a minor Heroic BSoD while staying with Joey and Jack. She buries herself in work to try and keep her mind off her sister's death, and Jack has to talk her into taking time off because she's at breaking point. And then there's this linenote :Matey: Apart from Eric, there's almost no-one left to call me Gwynneth now.
Tearjerker / Chalet School