- King Haarahld's final moments, as well as the Wylsynns' and Nahrmann's.
- Merlin reading the letter written by Saint Zherneau, detailing how they knew of Nimue's sacrifice.
- Midshipman Lainsair Svairsmahn's Mercy Kill by Gwylym Manthyr's hands, especially with the impassioned plea for Svairsmahn not to blame himself for breaking under torture that precedes it.
- Haarahld's conversation with the traitorous Duke Tirian's widow and sons after the Duke is killed for his treachery.
- The Siddermarkian Civil War is full of them.
- One of Ahnzhelyk's agents is being tortured in an Inquisition facility in Zion (an Expy of Lefortovo Prison) and there's no way to rescue her or the other people (the vast majority innocent) being held there, and there seems to be no way to even spare them more pain without revealing "supernatural power". Nahrmahn comes up with the plan to use a nanotech attack to allow the prisoners to peacefully and painlessly die mysteriously, with the added benefit of causing all the Inquisition staff to drop dead. The attack is told from the POV of the agent as she realizes she's finally going to be released from the endless pain she's suffering.
- Early in Through Firey Trials there's a scene in which Merlin, Cayleb, and Sharleyan attempt to bring the Duke of Eastshare into the Inner Circle, and it represents the first time on-page such an attempt fails utterly. Sharleyan and the person they're trying to convince are crying openly, even as the latter insists that they will not be swayed by Shan-wei's lies, the only give being an acknowledgement that the Inner Circle, and even Merlin himself, may be Unwitting Pawns of Shan-wei. They do this knowing full well that it means their death because He Knows Too Much. The whole thing is alleviated only by the fact that The Inner Circle no longer has to kill anyone in this scenario. Merlin puts them into cryo-sleep but, even after all that, they ask that Merlin gives Sharley their love.
Tear Jerker / Safehold