- Lucas's unrequited love and obsession for Beth, to the point that he wants to be a Love Martyr.
- "Hey, Kid," which triples as a Heartwarming Moment of Awesome Josh's solo as his wife goes into labor reflects his fear, disbelief, determination and joy:As a father, kidI may not have a clueBut your mom and me will somehow muddle throughIf my asshole dad could do it - I can tooIn fact, I'll do better,I'll start new
- Because Liz never got the job of city planner, the deputy's nephew got the job. His terrible planning gets a child killed in traffic.
- "Some Other Me." For context, Lucas and Beth have a stressful conversation several years after they last talked, where he's upset that she aborted their child without telling him.
- Josh's death. Worse, Liz before he leaves has lots of Anger Born of WorryI love youI love youI love...d you!
- Just knowing that Lucas doesn't meet David in the Beth storyline.
Tear Jerker / If/Then