- After narrowly escaping the flash flood, Maggie and Calloway get into a terrible argument as the latter accuses the former of dragging her and Grace and insulting Maggie for her "show-cowy" behavior. The three bovines sadly go back to sleep.Maggie: Come on, girls, we can't give up!
Calloway: Maggie, that's enough. The minute this lets up, we're heading straight home, to Patch of Heaven.
Maggie: But what about catching Slim and collecting the reward?
Calloway: We never had a prayer of catching Slim in the first place. This whole ridiculous plan is just so that you can get revenge on those cattle rustlers!
Maggie: Hey, for your information, duchess, this whole "ridiculous plan" is about us saving our farm!
Calloway: (scoffs) Huh. Our farm might've had a fighting chance until you came along.
Maggie: What's that supposed to mean?
Calloway: Strutting around with your vulgar show-cow behavior.
Maggie: Look, I was just having—
Calloway: Wasting our time on your foolish plans. Through the years, Patch of Heaven has survived every hardship that nature can dish out. But you, Maggie, are the biggest catastrophe to ever hit our farm.
Maggie: (furious) Well, if that's the way you feel about it, maybe we should just go our separate ways!
Calloway: Now, that's the first good idea you've ever had!
(Grace helplessly watches the two argue. Maggie hangs her head.)
Maggie: Yeah. Fine. It's not like your farm was ever gonna feel like home to me anyways.
- The song "Will The Sun Ever Shine Again?"
- Watching Pearl really missing her cows, and the Sheriff and Rusty genuinely concerned about Buck, and Buck being both hopeless and determined... well, it's a real twanger.
- The song (perhaps unintentionally) captures the feeling of a long depression perfectly.How do you go on never knowing for certain
Will the sun ever shine again?
- Alan Menken states he wrote the song to reflect his thoughts on the 9/11 tragedies and The War on Terror.
- Buck upon learning that his idol, Rico was working for Slim all along. Sure, Buck has been a jerk for most of the film, but it's very hard not to feel sorry for him upon discovering that detail the hard way.Slim: Mr. Weasley, let me present the most traitorous, double-crossing gun for hire that I've ever had the pleasure to call partner—Rico.
Rico: You're too kind, boss.
Buck: No, it can't be!
Slim: His reputation as a bounty hunter is well-known, but lately he's been doing a little moonlighting and covering my tracks.
Tear Jerker / Home on the Range