- The primary tearjerker throughout the series of the relationship between Pop and Cub. Despite not being the greatest dad and on more than occasion murdering his own son, Pop seems to care a lot for his son.
- In "And the Kitchen Sink", after the two fall down a waterfall, we see Cub's head at shore. Believing that his son has died, Pop begins to cry at his loss, but Cub turns out to be alive, making Pop extremely happy and turning this scene into a big CMOH. Shame Cub drowns about a few seconds before the episode ends...
- In "Read em' and Weep", after Pop is forced to murder his possessed son, we see him and Lumpy mourning at his grave. Cub's tombstone being adorned by his trademark beanie doesn't help at all.
- Made even more tragic by the fact that unbeknown to Pop, Lumpy had actually succeeded to cast out the demon.
- In said episode, it's brief, but before the demon's tentacles emerge through the sink pipes to kill her, Petunia is seen crying from pain and fear.
- Another example is "Claus for Concern", Cub turns out to be in another bag and he's completely unharmed and happy and you'd think that's the end, but right after the credits, Cub is seen trying to turn off a light and Pop comes home and unintentionally slams the door on him and doesn't even know.
- "Water Way to Go" is almost the worst of all, where we see Pop desperately and frantically calling out for his son in a fit of terror, while not realizing he is actually murdering his son underwater. It's equally sad and scary as well.
- Even worse, Cubs mother somehow died permanently before we met them. In fact, Cant Stop Coffin briefly shows them mourning at a gravesite that is presumably hers, right before Cub is crushed by a tombstone.
- The end of Snip Snip Hooray has Cub dying yet again due to his father's obliviousness, which is sad enough on its own (especially since Pop never realizes Cub had died). And then come the ending credits, which are accompanied by an illustration of Cub's empty high chair and a framed picture of him on the wall behind it.
- In "Chore Loser", Cub can be heard calling out "DADDY!" as he's attacked by a vicious dog.
- Basically any time Cub suffers for a prolonged period of time, such as "And the Kitchen Sink", which is heartbreaking for those who love children. Even something as simple as him getting his lollipop stolen by Nutty in "A Sucker for Love", is heartbreaking due to the fairly realistic crying and the context of the situation.
- Sniffles' battles with the ants end gruesomely and horrifically on Sniffles' behalf. In just one episode of this stuff, his tongue gets nailed down, sliced with a cheese grater, poured on with lemon juice, and sliced with a band saw, plus he eventually gets his head blown up, all because Sniffles wanted to eat something. A much more horrifying example is "Tongue in Cheek". A little before halfway through the episode, the ants sew down his hand, tear open his nail, and literally pour salt on the wound. And it gets worse. After a mind-control mishap later, Sniffles is forced to inflict agonizing pain on himself that's torturous even by the show's standards. If the fact that he cries moments from his death isn't bad enough, some viewers even accounted crying with him.
- The ending of "Class Act", where everyone (yes, even Splendid and Cro-Marmot) dies when the school explodes after having been set on fire. It's Played for Laughs (like always), but still. Made worse by the fact that what had been happening moments before the explosion was a huge Heartwarming Moment.
- One of the most notable instances is in "Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya", where Flaky cries about having to put her foot on the nail. To say viewers were absolutely shattered watching that scene would be an immense understatement.
- A brief example in "I Nub You". The part where Petunia walks out of the hospital, visibly saddened at her bandaged nubs. The music in the background doesn't help much, either.
- You wouldn't expect Fliqpy of all people to have a moment like this, but in "Hear Today, Gone Tomorrow", when Fliqpy attempts to slice Lumpy with helicopter blades. The moment he imagines Lumpy as his good self, he starts crying and snaps out of his Ax-Crazy state.
- Similarly, Flippy's reaction to seeing that he had murdered some of his friends in Double Whammy. After, he seeks therapy to try to get his evil side under control, but to no avail. Seeing him break down further and further as the body count goes up is just depressing. Poor guy...
- Not to mention that, after everything he goes through in that episode, especially finally defeating his evil side and overcoming his PTSD...Flippy is unceremoniously run over and killed by a truck seconds before the episode ends.
- In "Blast From The Past", Toothy is first found to be sitting on the ground crying, with Giggles and Cuddles comforting him, because he broke his arm from a rather nasty fall caused by coming too fast off of a slide.
- A lot of Toothy's deaths qualify as this. Especially since most of them are someone else's fault. Special mention goes to "Eye Candy", due to the amount of torture he goes through for a lollipop.
- The episode "Aw Shucks!" is an interesting example. Lumpy treats his prize-winning giant corn cob like his own child; feeding it breakfast, accompanied by pictures of it growing up. Given this, it's kinda sad seeing him break down in tears when his cob becomes barren and burnt. At least, until he tastes one of the kernels and decides to eat it.
- The nonstop, unforgiving, and unsympathetic abuse Handy and the Mole suffer through in Don't Yank My Chain. And then there's the agonizing way Handy dies, even for this show, which involves being dragged by a train, violently ripping the flesh from his back. And, just before he meets his end, he lets out a helpless whimper, then screams in absolute terror as he sees his end fast approaching. He knows that hell is going to come in only a few seconds.
- Lumpy being forced to cut off his leg with a spoon in "Out On A Limb". His sobbing is pretty painful, (''especially'' in more ways than one) to sit through. And then he finds out that he cut off the wrong leg by accident, and things go even worse from there.
- Hell, the episode is enough to make a viewer feel sorry for Lumpy, even when taking into account the deaths he causes or any of the unbelievably stupid crap that he does.
- A blink-and-you-miss-it moment, but in "Sea What I Found", before he gets angry, Lifty looks downright betrayed that his brother would leave him to die. He also has a similar, more visible reaction before he's thrown out of the hot air balloon in "Milkin' It".
- Giggles sobbing over the death of everyone else in "See You Later Elevator".
- Lethally Stupid or not, whenever Lumpy dies trying to save someone or something can be seen as extremely tragic, as most characters never do the same.
- One of the biggest examples is "Blood Donor", where Lumpy makes a Heroic Sacrifice to save Giggles from blood loss at the hospital.
- Another example is in "All Flocked Up", where he dies trying to bring a little bird back to its nest.
- In "I Get A Trick Out Of You", a remorseful Lumpy decides to visit Cuddles's hospital room after a magic trick goes wrong. He even brings him roses. However, it immediately lapses into Black Comedy when Lumpy accidentally flatlines Cuddles and attempts to flee the scene before getting himself killed.
Tear Jerker / Happy Tree Friends
Yes, even a show like Happy Tree Friends can enter some sad territory.