- The big one to start with is also a massive spoiler: The Kannabi Bridge Arc.
- Kei goes into the arc expecting to overturn canon. She fails. Her personal Butterfly of Doom kicks in, and Kakashi is grabbed instead of Obito and despite Team Minato's best efforts. He's put through a field interrogation that results in the loss of his eye. While Kei and Obito do manage to kill the two Iwa jonin, because they underestimate the two chunin, Obito is still caught in a rockfall while saving the lives of his teammates. He has the longest death scene of any character in the story.Obito: "Kei...go. Please...don't let him die. He needs to...to keep his promise."
Kei: "N-No, I can't..."
Obito: "...I'm not going...anywhere, Kei..."
Kei: "...I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't... I should have done something! You shouldn't be stuck here..."
Obito: "Heh... That's just l-like you, Kei... G-Go. Move forward..."
Kei: "I...okay. Okay. You win."
Kei: "I know... (Im sorry.) Sleep well, Obito... I...we'll see each other again soon."
Obito: You...know it...
- But this is impact is eventually mitigated by Obito's reappearance one timeskip later.
- Kei goes into the arc expecting to overturn canon. She fails. Her personal Butterfly of Doom kicks in, and Kakashi is grabbed instead of Obito and despite Team Minato's best efforts. He's put through a field interrogation that results in the loss of his eye. While Kei and Obito do manage to kill the two Iwa jonin, because they underestimate the two chunin, Obito is still caught in a rockfall while saving the lives of his teammates. He has the longest death scene of any character in the story.
- The Commencement Arc:
- The body count for the arc includes Kei and Hayate's mother Miyako.
- In the aftermath, Kei and Hayate spend the next few chapters (and a timeskip) grieving in various degrees of visibility.
- The Bloodlines Arc:
- Obito finally has a long-overdue breakdown due to the group finding out that Madara died not long after the events of the Commencement Arc. The latter character's death isn't viewed as a tragedy by anyone else, but they stay to comfort Obito as the Stockholm Syndrome finally rears its ugly head.
- The Memory Arc:
- Kei gets put through the wringer on this one. First, spending almost a year outside of the village and away from her loved ones badly damages her already-wavering self-worth and leads almost directly into an emotional meltdown in the first chapter of the arc. While away from Konoha to recover with the help of the Chinatsugumi, on the assumption that staying in town with Minato would amplify the problem, the Chinatsugumi hub town is attacked by Orochimaru and Yagura. The fight kills the core Chinatsugumi with whom Kei was closest, and the supposed relaxation mission becomes a desperate fight for survival. And when Konoha gets the alert and intervenes, Kei's jinchuriki seal is damaged and sends her on a near rampage. Once brought down from that by Kakashi and Katsuyu, Kei uses the remainder of her strength to save Minato from being killed by the Kusanagi retaliatory strike.
- The entire lead-up to the arc gives the readers a good view into Kei's psyche, where her self-worth is tied up in her ability to predict the "future" and takes a nosedive once all the changes settle in.
- There is also art for this arc.
- During the battle for Sorayama, Kei's team—consisting of Gai, Genma, and Ebisu—ends up getting split to help the civilians evacuate while dealing with threats. While Gai and Ebisu are fine, Genma is caught unawares by Orochimaru and gets beaten half to death. Not long after he's saved from immediate danger, Raido's team runs across the field hospital. His reaction isn't optimistic.I lean down over Genmas face and press my lips to his forehead. If I concentrate, I can just barely feel his breath, weak though it is, brush against my right ear. Hes alive, still. But thats all. I just wish my thoughts could get through to him like this, but they cant. Im sorry, Genma. Even if you wake up I...dont see how this will work out.
- During the last chapter of the Memory Arc, Kakashi confronts a berserk Kei who has completely lost control of Isobu's chakra as the seal breaks down. He does his best to talk her down, but it fails. And when he does manage to stabilize the seal for a moment, she's almost immediately stabbed in the chest by Kusanagi right in front of him. Poor kid.
Tear Jerker / Catch Your Breath