Stardew Valley: The Board Game is a 2021 Co-Op Multiplayer adaptation of the videogame of the same name, for one to four players. Like the original game, the player(s) are tasked with taking over their deceased grandfather's farm, but this time they have to accomplish their mission goals (four of Grandpa's goals and six Community Center bundles) in a single year, which is composed of 16 turns during the game.
The game was worked on by the video game's developer Eric Barone and independent board game designer Cole Medeiros. The game proved so popular that its first two printings were sold out immediately.
The game's rules can be found here.
This game provides examples of:
- Co-Op Multiplayer: The game is completely co-op with up to four players. There is a single player option, too.
- Extremely Short Timespan: The game takes place over a single year, while the videogame takes place over an indeterminate amount of time. Despite being sixteen turns, players have very little time to accomplish all of the goals.
- Everyone Has a Special Move: Like many co-op board games, each player has a special role with their own powers, which can be either Mining, Fishing, Farming, or Foraging.
- Luck-Based Mission: Every game has random goals in the form of Grandpa's letters, and much of the game relies on dice rolls.
- Nintendo Hard: Thanks to the Random Number God and the compressed gameplay, the game can be brutally difficult. Even when things are going the players' way, the game still demands efficiency.Eric Barone: It's easy to play once you learn the rules, but it's not a short, casual game.
- Polyamory: Oddly, if a villager gets married, they're married to all of the co-op players, meaning they now have up to four spouses.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: The game condenses much of the video game's mechanics. For instance, players only need to give villagers a single gift that they like to make them friendly enough to marry.
- Solo Tabletop Game: The game features solo player rules.
- Unique Items: There are legendary versions of resources that the player can acquire, such as legendary fish.