Whipped cream (or a sponge) is put in the game's arm. Everyone spins the spinner to decide how much each player will turn the handle. The players take turns turning the handle, and every turn makes it more likely that someone will get splatted in the face with whipped cream. The goal is to reach 25 points by turning the handle enough times without being splatted.
The game spawned three variants. In Pie Face Sky High!, the player tests their strength by strongly hitting the plate with a hammer and making the pie hit the opponent. In Pie Face Showdown!, the player quickly hits the button to make the pie land in the opponent's face. In Pie Face Cannon!, the player aims and fires whipped cream at the opponent while the opponent blocks the whipped cream with a blocking hand.
Pie Face! provides examples of:
- Edible Ammunition: In Pie Face Cannon!, players shoot whipped cream out of a cannon and try to aim the whipped cream at their opponents.
- The Last Straw: After tons of other players safely turn the handle, one final tiny turn of the handle can be enough to launch the pie.
- Never Trust a Title: The title Pie Face! makes it sound like you get splatted with a full pie, but in reality, you only get whipped cream in your face.
- Pie in the Face: This is the main point of the game. When the handle is turned enough times, the arm will eventually toss the whipped cream from a pie into the player's face.
- Scoring Points: Players score points by turning the handle without being splatted with whipped cream.
- "Test Your Strength" Game: In Pie Face Sky High!, the player tests their strength by strongly hitting the plate with a hammer and making the pie hit the opponent.
- Title Confusion: This game is sometimes called Pie in the Face!