"This city is rotting from the inside out, rotten at its very core."
Redemption is the fourth setting in the Cosmopol RPG universe, taking place roughly four to five years after the events of Retribution. Just as each of the previous have reflected a particular period (the Roaring 20s, Great Depression and World War II), Redemption updates the setting with a new Film Noir aesthetic, placing the characters amid a zeitgeist filled with Corrupt Corporate Executive types, gangsters, corrupt officials and schizo tech.
Tropes in this System:
- Bio Punk: a little less heavy on this for this setting, and heavier on computers and robotics.
- City of Adventure: The setting is more or less self-contained
- City Noir: Cosmopol itself
- Code Name: Night jobbers generally use a callsign.
- The Cracker: Really comes into its own as a character type in this system, with information technology approaching something resembling our universe.
- Company man Dieter Kohl is a "legal" example.
- Diesel Punk: with a far more Diesel Noir vibe than any of the previous three settings.
- Everybody Smokes: except that smoking now has consequences.
- Fantastic Racism: just as much as ever
- Framing Device: The universe and its major events are introduced by fictional characters living in-universe.
- Gadgeteer Genius: One of the player character jobs.
- Hacker Cave: Yes. Hacking comes into its own in this setting, and despite the technology looking low-fi (analog dials, for example), actually functions on a level more recognizable to "real people".
- Homemade Inventions: A major point of the game, but with the rise of monopolies and megacorporations on a scale previously unseen, you'll see less of this.
- Kafka Komedy: Everyday life.
- "I almost expect to wake up with six legs, on my back... any day now." - Company Man Dieter Kohl
- La Résistance: Former and current members of the Zero One like to get together in bars and reminisce about the old days, fighting with the resistance in Neustadt.
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: of the government-sanctioned variety.
- Mr. Exposition: D, in his communiques to other characters
- Punk Punk: Largely of the Diesel Punk flavor, with many Cyberpunk (this setting has more Cyber Punk vibe than any previous) and fewer Bio Punk elements.
- Romani: A minority ethnic group living in Neustadt's Unterstadt.
- Science Hero: One of the player character jobs, but unless you work for the government or a major company, expect to be rogue and steal your equipment... unless you can be funded by the mob.
- Schizo Tech: Computer intranets, large-scale architectural/civic projects, robotics and advanced genetic engineering... in a world that seems to run on internal combustion, fossil fuels, pneumatic mail, vacuum tubes, and display gratuitous use of pressure gauges and analog dials.
- Took a Level in Badass: the entire world. Expect to see bigger, badder weaponry than ever before.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?
- What Measure Is a Non-Super?: And how.