Beyond the Supernatural is a Tabletop RPG by Palladium Books. Unlike most other Palladium games, the setting is modern day, and the supernatural elements are toned down to the point that many monsters hide in plain sight. The genres the game covers are anything from horror to mystery, but are typically low key and not over the top action. The psychic abilities in the game are arguably the most developed of a Megaverse book, with more categories than the core Rifts or Palladium Fantasy games.
This tabletop-game provides examples of:
- Abandoned Warehouse: An acceptable location for use by any aspiring BtS GM, also see Sinister Subway
- Background Magic Field: This is how magic works in all Palladium games, ala Ley Lines and Dragon Roads, Nexus Points, and places where reality weakens.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Many monsters and alien intelligences are not evil just... different.
- Layered World: Has multiple realms in the form of, the Astral Plane, and numerous others.
- Ley Line: See Above
- Muggles: Most humans.
- Monster of the Week: The game makes for easy use of Hook, Line, and Sinker one shot episodes.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Secretly controlled by monstrous alien overlords.
- Psychic Powers: Humans may develop psychic powers and many monsters possess psychic powers innately.
- Real After All: Sometimes crazy murders are just committed by plain old murderers.
- Shout-Out: To H.P. Lovecraft's and other modern horror literature.
- The Un-Reveal: The origin and motives for many creatures are left unknown.
- Urban Fantasy
- The 'Verse: The Beyond the Supernatural Earth is part of the larger Palladium Megaverse.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Many examples: Dragons, werecreatures, many monsters and alien intelligences.
- Mage in Manhattan: Many villains could fit this trope.