- This happens with Megatron and Optimus in the last episode of Beast Wars. See the main page's quote.
- In "Code of Hero", Megatron was speechifying about how Dinobot had no hope of defeating him (which, given that Dinobot just burned up all his reserves and taking massive quantities of damage fighting through Megatron's minions while Megatron had not yet done a thing, not to mention he's got massive upgrades which makes him even more resistant to damage, makes a pretty good point). Megatron asked "What can you possibly do?" Dinobot's response? "Improvise". As he takes his stick, creates a makeshift hammer, and smacks Megatron to the ground.
- Ben 10: Alien Force: In "Time Heals", as Charmcaster keeps going on how she's going to kill Gwen again, Gwen karate-kicks her to the ground mid-speech and tells her she needs to stop saying that.
- Ben 10: Omniverse has two of them:
- In "Trouble Helix", when eleven years old Ben defeat Malware for the first time, Malware immediately boasts that he will be back:
- Then Azmuth delivers one to Dr Psychobos during his murder attemptAzmuth: Psychobos, stop this madness!Dr Psychobos: That's DOCTOR Psychobos to you! Can you now see the superiority of Cerebrocrustaceans over Galvan?
- In Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, The Joker takes rather badly to Terry's Break Them by Talking and gives a rather angry rebuttal by tossing grenades at him, which knocks the superhero out.
- Which is then subverted when he grabs Terry and starts to choke him, telling him to laugh it up now.Terry: Ha...ha. (pulls out Joker's killer buzzer and proceed to shock him)
- Another small one happens in the series when Kobra leader Xander tells Max of his plot to turn all his men into dinosaurs and drop a bomb that will incinerate the world so they have extra heat to live on. She responds accordingly:Max: I think I finally get it now.
Xander: (he smiles)
Max: You're crazy! All of you! Certifiable in need of medication!
- Which is then subverted when he grabs Terry and starts to choke him, telling him to laugh it up now.
- In Batman: The Animated Series, Ra's al-Ghul explains his wonderful plan to save the world by wiping out most of humanity. Batman responds with a note of wonder in his voice. "Yes... I can see it all clearly now for the first time. You are completely out of your mind."
- A variation combined with Pre Ass Kicking One Liner occurs in Danny Phantom: Spectra is giving Danny a Break Them by Talking. It is succeeding. Then, there was Jazz.Jazz: Excuse me. I don't know this kid, but I hope it's okay if he gets a second opinion.
- "The Million Dollar Ghost" contains a rare villain-to-hero example: Having learned by now how best to get under his Arch-Enemy's skin, Danny taunts Vlad about how "bitter and alone" he is after losing "the love of your life" to Danny's father. Vlad responds by grabbing his wrist and delivering several seconds of agonizing Electric Torture.
- In one episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy, Ed acts unusually moody due to having a rock in his shoe. When Sarah, who regularly bullies Ed, tries to demean him as usual, Ed shouts at her to back off, scaring her shitless.Sarah: Ed! You listen to me, mister! You can't kick me out! I LIVE HERE TOO!!Ed: SO MOVE!!
- A fan favorite moment from Freakazoid!, seen here:Jeepers: You want to see something strange and mystical?Freakazoid: NOOOOOOO!!!!! GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT WATCH!!! LAY OFF THE POOR BEAVERS, WILL YA?!? SHEEEESH!!! YOU'RE A CREEP! GO AWAY! WE WERE ALL HAVING A GOOD TIME UNTIL YOU SHOWED UP, JEEPERS!!! UUUUUUUUGH! GO HAVE A COFFEE, WITH CREAM OR SOMETHING! BECAUSE I'LL TELL YOU SOMETHING: THIS IS A HAPPY PLACE!!!!!!
- Less eloquent but as effective, Hulk Vs. Thor shows Loki interrupted in mid-rant by Thor's hand around his throat. A "Shut Up, Hannibal" via sign language?
- In Invincible (2021), the Mad Scientist Villain of the Week Sinclair starts to go on a Motive Rant about how his Unwilling Roboticisation was For Science! and "saving the human race from disease". Mark responds by breaking his jaw.
- In the first Season Finale of Jackie Chan Adventures, the battle between Jackie and Shendu goes back and forth, until Jackie manages to grab the Rat talisman, rendering the villain helpless:Shendu: I will have my revenge even if it takes another 900 years!Jade: Pfft. No Rat means you're just a statue, and no Dog means you're not immortal.(Activates Dragon Talisman, blowing Shendu to smithereens.)
- In the Justice League Unlimited episode "Divided We Fall", The Flash gets a most awesome Shut Up Hannibal against the robot Evil Knockoff created by the Big Bad.Alternate Flash: Slacker! Child! Clown! We have no place here among the world's greatest heroes!
Flash: Says you! I've got a seat at the big conference table. I'm gonna paint my logo on it!
(Flash punches through Evil Flash's chest and vibrates his arm at Super Speed; explosion ensues)
- The Flash does it again later in the same episode when Braniac/Lex Luthor taunts him on the fact that he was all that was left between total destruction. Flash then begins to pound Luthor over, and over, AND OVER, stripping Braniac's tech from Luthor's body with each blow. Made all the more awesome when you realize that Flash was doing this by running around the Earth at 25,000 miles PER SECOND as he hit Luthor time after time.
- Lampshaded earlier in the episode "Wild Cards".The Joker: Even you can't disarm one of my bombs in time!
Flash: Shut up!
The Joker: What kind of retort is that!? You're not even trying!
- The world-of-cardboard speech itself is an example; as Darkseid rampages through the ruins of Metropolis and asks why the heroes continue to fight against him, Superman decks him and shows he was holding back all this time.Darkseid: You [Batman] still try to fight? Can't you see this is hopeless?
Superman: (Pins Darkseid to a wall by the throat) That man won't quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem. (Punches Darkseid through the wall) I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am. (Hits Darkseid so hard he's sent flying across Metropolis)
- Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters has an especially epic one in the season 2 finale, as well as a rare practical use of the Power of Friendship. As Ray and the Choten are dueling, the Choten uses a spell to control two creatures at the same time, all while gloating about how naive Ray was to think befriending creatures could be a good substitute to controlling them. Ray answers by summoning five additional creatures and sending them all to attack him.Choten: You can't possibly control that many creatures at the same time!
Ray: I don't need to control them. They are my friends.
- Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama, when Kim interrupted Drakken's speech about how he cracked Kim's weakness; her own insecurities, especially regarding dating. Not quite a pure example, since he didn't know she was listening in, but she definitely had the "Shut up!" part down!"You're right, Drakken. Boys, dating, that's hard. But this is easy. (She punches Drakken. Hard.)
- King of the Hill: The premiere episode has Hank listening to one of Dale's conspiracy theories on global warming, only to retort "Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas! It's already 110 in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter I'm gonna kick your ass!"
- In The Legend of Korra, Bolin cuts Zaheer's ranting Villainous Breakdown short by literally suffing a sock in his mouth.
- Unalaq calls Tenzin a horrible father for letting Jinora into the spirit world and asks what kind of father he is. Jinora responds with "Better than you".
- Baatar Jr. tells Varrick that once a discovery is made, people will do whatever it takes to share this knowledge with the world. Varrick responds with "You wouldn't notice a wolfbat making a nest in your butt!"
- Looney Tunes: In "Wild and Woolly Hare", Bugs Bunny interrupts Yosemite Sam's boasting:Yosemite Sam: Any one of you lily-livered, bow-legged varmints care to slap leather with me? In case any of ya get any idears, ya better know yer dealin with. I'm the hootinest, tootinest, shootinest, bobtail wildcat in the West! [fires guns, raising Sam up] I'm the fastest gun north, south, east annnnnnnd west of the Pecos!....I'm the....Bugs Bunny: Ahhhh, shaddup!Yosemite Sam: DID I HEAR SOMEONE SAY "SHADDUP"?!Bugs Bunny: (calmly) Yep.
- World War II-era Daffy-The Commando has a rotoscoped Adolf Hitler delivering one of his ranting speeches. In flies Daffy Duck, courtesy of being shot from a cannon moments earlier, who then proceeds to whack Hitler on the head with a mallet.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: As polite and self-effacing as she was Fluttershy completely shut down every attempt on Discord's part to arouse resentment against her friends during the season 2 opener, ensuring that she could not be turned against them without a proverbial sledgehammer of mind-altering magic. Unfortunately, Discord could and did use that sledgehammer.
Rainbow Dash: All right, Princess!
- Twilight gets an epic one the next episode. She weaponizes her normal And Knowing Is Half the Battle speech into this.
- Princess Celestia actually fires off two Shut Up Hannibals in Part 1's Canterlot Tower scene. The first time, Discord tries to get a rise out of her with a Break Them by Talking; she shoots him down. The second time, Discord's in the middle of another one directed at the Mane Six; she butts in to order him to quit screwing around and answer her question. He tosses her a riddle and vacates. The blink-and-you-miss-it look on her face seconds later suggests she was indeed winding up a third Shut Up, Hannibal! In case you needed her to validate her previous claim to being a Retired Badass.
- From episode 26 of Ninjago:Overlord: You cannot defeat me! Where there is light, there will always be shadow!Lloyd: Unless my light is brighter!(cue massive Final Battle climax)
- The Powerpuff Girls have no time for any villain's shenanigans.
Princess: Because a true superstar, me, knows when to go solo. After all, I'm pretty much the most beautiful, the most talented, the most powerful—"(Buttercup flies in and clocks her.)Buttercup: The most annoying!
- One that deserves special mention is their reply to Mojo Jojo's (who just seemingly beat them in his One-Winged Angel form) Break Them by Talking in the movie:Mojo Jojo: Can't you see? None of them will ever understand you the way I can. For we are kindred spirits whose powers spring from the same source. So girls, do not make me destroy you! For we are smarter! We are stronger! We are invincible! We have the power! We are superior to them! And we shall rule! All we have to do is work together. Girls, join me.
Powerpuff Girls: NOOOOO!
Blossom: We'd never join you! And it's because we are stronger!
Bubbles: Because we are invincible!
Buttercup: Because we have the power!
Powerpuff Girls: Because we've got to protect them from you!
Blossom: It's you who is to be feared!
Bubbles: Because you are a monster!
Buttercup: Because you are evil!
Powerpuff Girls: And you are...it! (they push him off a skyscraper)
- Another very ironic example: In one episode, a bump on the head made Bubbles think she was Mojo. Apparently, Mojo found listening to her imitation of his endless rants just as annoying the Girls found it when he did it, so he just yelled "OH, SHUT UP!" and clocked her with a steel beam. (Unfortunately for him, he went right back to doing the exact same thing, and didn't notice that he had knocked the sense back into her, and well, you can probably guess how it ended.)
- In "Princess Buttercup", Princess has Blossom and Bubbles trapped after paying a gang of tough girls to befriend Buttercup and keep her away:
- One that deserves special mention is their reply to Mojo Jojo's (who just seemingly beat them in his One-Winged Angel form) Break Them by Talking in the movie:
- Regular Show: After Rigby is in comatose after an allergic reaction to eggs, Mordecai and his co-workers are told that he may be on the verge of death. Benson then makes a couple of callous remarks towards Rigby's state, only for Mordecai to punch him in the face and give him "The Reason You Suck" Speech.Benson: Well, I hope you've learned something from this.Mordecai: What?Benson: Maybe if you were working like you were working like you were supposed to, none of this would have happened.(Mordecai punches Benson in the face and his co-workers try to restrain Mordecai)Benson: Mordecai, what are you doing?Mordecai: What's your problem?! This has nothing to do with work! He just wanted the hat!Benson: And look where it got you! That friend over there is only gonna get you in trouble!Benson: I have friends.Mordecai: No, you don't! Everyone only hangs out with you because you're our boss! Rigby may have tried to win the hat, but he doesn't deserve to be put in a coma because of it.Benson: What are you doing?Mordecai: Back to the restaurant.Benson: Why?Mordecai: Because I made a promise to Rigby and I'm gonna keep it. That's what friends do for each other.
- Samurai Jack has a scene where Jack does this without saying a word. He's just defeated the Daughters of Aku and Ashi is left dangling from a tree. She launches into a rant about how she will kill Jack, and an unamused Jack simply untangles the chain she's hanging from and lets go, causing her to fall to a(n apparent) Disney Villain Death.
- South Park: The episode "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" (which is exactly what it sounds like) has the head of NAMBLA continually protesting that he's being discriminated against. Stan and Kyle reply:Kyle: Dude, you have sex. With. Children.Stan: Yeah! You know, we believe in equality for everybody, and tolerance, and all that gay stuff, but dude, fuck you.
- In the Sonic Underground episode "Sleepers", Robotnik traps Sonic in a room and fires beams of vaporizing energy at him while taunting him. Sonic is not fazed in the slightest.Robotnik: Instead of "heir to the throne", you'll become the air that we breathe!Sonic: Yeah, yeah, whatever, round boy. [dodges another beam]Robotnik: Sooner or later, you'll get tired.Sonic: I'm already tired... of listening to you! Besides, this is a lame trap. I'm outta here![Sonic dodges a massive barrage of laser fire, which blasts a hole in the wall and allows him to escape]Sonic: I'm tellin' ya, Buttnik: you'll get yours!
- Steven Universe:
- In "Jailbreak", Jasper expresses disgust and disbelief that Ruby and Sapphire are fused into Garnet again, claiming that fusion is a cheap trick that weak gems use to become stronger. Garnet chuckles and proceeds to lay out exactly what fusion really is and how it makes her so much better than Jasper. Then demonstrates by kicking Jasper's ass. While singing. "Stronger Than You" is pretty much a Shut Up, Hannibal! speech in song form.
- In "Back to the Barn", after Peridot spends nearly the entire episode looking down on Pearl for being a made-to-order servant, Pearl gives her a hell of a right hook."That's right! I am a Pearl!"
- In "Crack the Whip", Jasper tries to demean Stevonnie for being a human/gem fusion. Stevonnie, who's royally ticked off at Jasper for poofing Amethyst and trying to shatter her has none of it."I don't want to hear anything you say (holds up Amethyst's Gem) unless it's "sorry".
- From Superman: The Animated Series, after Darkseid has beaten up Superman and demanding the earth to surrender...Darkseid: People of Earth, I am Darkseid, lord of Apokolips. Here is your savior, cowed and broken. I have crushed him as easily as I have crushed all who dared to oppose me throughout the cosmos. I am power unlike any you have ever known: absolute, infinite, and unrelenting. You have no choice but to prepare for a long dark future as my subjects and my slaves.
Dan Turpin: ...In a pig's eye!
- At the end of the three-part pilot "The Last Son of Krypton", Superman confronts Lex Luthor. Luthor gives a speech about how he owns Metropolis and that Superman should be working for him. Lex loses his cool when Superman responds with a simple "I'll be watching you, Luthor."
- In "In Brightest Day", when Sinestro tries to take the power ring from Kyle Rayner, the new Green Lantern.Sinestro: You cannot run from me, Green Lantern. I never give up!
Kyle: (blasting him) You never shut up, either.
- In Teen Titans Raven delivers one of these to Trigon. She then delivers a "Reason You Suck" Speech while repeatedly blasting him with magic in this epic scene.
- Happens in the second episode of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, when The Shredder says the turtles should join him because it was his mutagen that transformed them from their pet forms, hoping they'll ignore the little detail that he also turned Hamato Yoshi into Splinter, was actually trying to kill Yoshi and currently has Splinter tied and suspended from the ceiling. Naturally, Raphael has the perfect response: "Does the phrase 'go suck a lemon' hold any meaning for you?"
- Totally Spies!:
- Frequently used by the characters against revenge-seeking antagonists, usually in the form of "You're only doing this for revenge!" (often complete with deconstructions of any supposedly-good goals the villain has).
- Frankly a lot of villain's plans get shot down this way on the show. There's the option above, suggesting a way the villain could have used their issues/abilities for something not evil, and even, in a spectacular aversion of There Are No Therapists, suggesting self help books, hobbies, or therapy.
- Optimus Prime's defeat of Megatron in their fight in Transformers: Prime, where Megatron learns that Optimus was buying time for the other Autobots to destroy the space bridge, that would bring millions of undead Cybertronians to Earth.Megatron: Ah... Misdirection, Optimus. You would have made a fine Decepticon!*Optimus blocks Megatron's finishing strike*Optimus: I chose my side.*Optimus blasts Megatron point-blank*
- In the second season finale of X-Men, Mr. Sinister gets plenty of self-righteous speechifying about the future out of the way while he has his audience chained to a wall. Eventually, the tables turn, punctuated by an optic blast from Cyclops. This doesn't stop him from weakly defying Scott's repeated request to leave his friends alone.Sinister: I can't... I won't... the world needs— (gets cut off by another blast)
Cyclops: What was that? I don't think I heard you right!
- He gets it again about two minutes later. Trying to pull himself together, Sinister grumbles that "the future" (his future) can't be destroyed so easily. Jean Grey responds with a calm "Yes, it can" and a well-placed shot of telekinesis. This is appropriate, since he was trying to effectively breed a new race from the two of them.
Shut Up Hannibal / Western Animation