open/close all folders
- Soundbite will often say "Roger roger" in affirmation to a command.
- The TDWS's attack names are references to works of art their namesakes created.
Being an animal himself, Soundbite can understand other animals, and his Devil Fruit allows him to give them the ability to speak. And the voices he gives them are rather... symbolic.
- In Chapter 8, he gives Carue the voice of Donald Duck.
- He also gives the two other Baby Transponder Snails the Straw-Hats have the voices of Pinky and the Brain.
- In Chapter 17, the voice he gives Eyelashes the camel belongs to Achmed the Dead Terrorist.
- And in Chapter 22, he gives Lassoo Goofy's voice and Muttley's laugh.
- In Chapter 27, he gives the South Bird they were trying to capture the voice of Gilbert Gottfried (ala Iago), and the two South Birds the former hands to Cross on a silver platter the voices of Isaiah Mustafa and Terry Crews. They even argue in the exact same way!
- In Chapter 28, Soundbite initially gives Pierre a stereotypical French voice, but upon learning that he ate the Horse-Horse Fruit, gives him Twilight Sparkle's voice instead. When Cross points out said pony isn't a Pegasus, Soundbite asks if he'd prefer Pinkie Pie note .
- He also gives Su the voice of Brock's Vulpix, though considering that said Pokémon only ever said her species name while Su speaks coherently, it's nowhere near as notable as the above.
- To the boss of the cloud wolves he meets in the Skypiean forest, he grants the voice of the Fonz.
- In Chapter 34, he gives a dachshund the voice of Winston Churchill, a bull moose the voice of Robin Williams (which is a reference to him playing Teddy Roosevelt in Night at the Museum), and an alligator the voice of Steve Irwin. He also gives Shelly the voice of McGonagall, and Chuchun the voice of Al Roker.
- In Chapter 36, he planned on giving Yokozuna the frog the voice of Kermit the Frog, but upon hearing the conviction in his voice, gave him Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice instead.
- In Chapter 37, Gonbe the Rabbit (that thinks it's a cat) is given the voice of Sylvester the Cat. And then Soundbite gives the voice of Mr. T... to Iceburg's little mouse Tyrannosaurus.
- In Chapter 38, Sodom and Gomorrah are given the voices of the Blues Brothers. Cross notes that there was never a chance of them leaving those waters without Soundbite using their voices at least once.Sodom: "It's five miles to the Tower of Justice, we got bellies full of fish, a trailer full a' fighters, it's day in the middle of the night, and we're wearing goggles."Gomorrah: "Hit it!"
- In Chapter 40, it is revealed that Soundbite has given Hattori the voice of James Spader.
- In Chapter 43, Soundbite gives Funkfreed the voice of Mickey Mouse, to Cross' disbelief. When he objects, Soundbite states there was no way he was not having the Disney Holy Trifecta on the crew, and Disney's dimension-hopping copyright lawyers can take it up with him.
- In Chapter 46, the Accino Family's top four Fierce Penguins are given the voices of The Penguins of Madagascar. They even have the same names and jobs.
- Chapter 54 has him giving Boss the mutant beetle the voice of André the Giant, after a bit of difficulty.
- In Strong World, Apis' pet Millenium Dragon, Lindy, is given the voice of Abridged Alucard, while the electric duck Billy is given the voice of Donald Duck's nephews Huey, Dewy, and Louie (no specific one, not that anyone would be able to tell the difference anyway).
- In Chapter 60, he gives Megalo, Shirahoshi's pet shark and palace retainer, the voice of Bruce the Shark.
East Blue Saga
- When Soundbite first eats and assimilates Cross' iPhone, he makes what Cross blatantly points out is the alert sound from Metal Gear Solid, followed by some very well-known songs.
- When Soundbite is trying to awaken Cross, he decides to shout "HEY, LISTEN!"
- "A dingaling? A goofball? A Knucklehead Mcspazatron?"
- When Cross is wondering how the hell he's supposed to find Luffy in Loguetown, Soundbite suggests "Second star on the right AND STRAIGHT ON TILL MORNING!"
- Soundbite quotes the We Can Rebuild Him quote from The Six Million Dollar Man when Cross decides to get him a Transponder Snail rig.
- Soundbite's new rig is an Ichabod-Portentia 6S. Initials sound familiar?
- "One does not simply sail into the Grand Line!"
- When the Sea Kings show up, Soundbite sings, "They're he~ere."
- Cross tries to quote the Cheshire Cat regarding his adrenaline junkie status. Nami does not appreciate this.
- As the Merry pulls into Whiskey Peak, Soundbite has this to say:
- Cross steals a battle plan from Captain America;
Soundbite: Puny GOD!
- Usopp: You find a good rooftop and act as support, take out anyone that isnt us.
- Nami: Find Sanji and Zoro and break them up if you can, then send them back here to tie these guys up so they dont get loose. And keep an eye out, alright? There could still be some stragglers hiding here and there, so theres a good chance they could try to jump us.
- Also; loot everything that isnt nailed down and a lot that is.
- Luffy: Smash.
Cross: That comes later. For now, just puny Frontier Agents.
- Nami has a Freak Out when she realizes a Warlord is going to be after the Straw Hats' scalps.Nami: What did I ever do to deserve this!?
Cross: Do you want that list chronologically or alphabetically?
- Upon realizing the Inevitable Waterfall that's heading right for them, Soundbite throws out several lines, including this:Soundbite: Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!
- In this chapter, we are introduced to Pinky and Brain, the two Baby Transponder Snails purchased in Loguetown. Compare and contrast another pair of blatant expies introduced over a dozen chapters later...
- When Cross asks the crew what they think is on Little Garden, the response is "Lions! Tigers! Bears! Oh, my god!"
- When Cross is confronted by the last raptor that wasn't distracted by the Unluckies, he says, "Clever girl." The raptor takes offense.
- Shortly after Luffy decides on recruiting Chopper, Soundbite plays a tune Cross identifies as the theme song to My Little Pony.
- The way Xomniac writes Soundbite's Cluster F-Bomb is taken directly from Berserker of Fate/stay night.
- After Cross tricks Kureha into letting them go without paying and giving them free reign of the palace's food storage, Kureha goes back on the deal as far as letting them go. What follows is one big Shout-Out to The Empire Strikes Back:Nami: Hey, that wasn't the deal!
Kureha: I'm changing the deal! Thank whatever gods you pray to that I'm not changing it further!
Soundbite: Fwhooooooh Ktchhhhhh... Fwhooooooh Ktchhhhhh note
(Nami and Cross glare at Soundbite)
Soundbite: (grinning sheepishly but unapologetically) SORRY, couldn't resist.
- Apparently, Zoro was under the impression that bones become stronger after recovering from a break. Chopper is naturally aghast at his thinking of biology.
- Cross calls Usopp DiCaprio after a round of bragging from the latter, Soundbite chiming in with his iconic line from Django Unchained.
- When Cross lectures on the formidability of Devil Fruits, he uses a hypothetical fruit called the Blind-Blind Fruit as an example. The Blind-Blind Fruit is from Nine Minutes.
- This chapter marks the first use of the "I am conflicted" running gag.
- Once Cross, Luffy, and Ace finally have a chance to talk without interruption, one of the first things they talk about is Luffy chewing on the bars of his crib as a kid.
- Unsurprisingly, Cross compares the Sandora Dragons to baby Godzillas.
- When Cross puts on a mask Vivi gave him to protect himself from the desert sand, he gets the inexplicable urge to cover his eye, read smut in public, and be three hours late to every appointment.
- When Nami gives an explanation about mirages, Cross calls her Bill Nye.
- When Nami and Chopper keep interrupting each other in trying to ask Cross a question, Cross likens it to an Abbott and Costello routine. Soundbite adds to it by playing a bit of their famous "Who's on First" routine.
- "REALITY IS AN ILLUSION, the planet is a mirage, buy gold, LET'S GO ALREADY!"
- Cross stamps on Tashigi's Berserk Button of insulting her womanhood by playing LMFAO's Sexy and I Know It.
- After Cross takes down the first Marine during the chase scene, Soundbite booms FATALITY! Cross immediately panics.
- Amidst his attempts to outrun/outfox Tashigi's squad, Cross pulls a Bavarian Fire Drill, posing as Sergeant Hartman.
- Scissors' voice prompts Cross to state that Soundbite has no sense of decency. The snail's response?Soundbite: I ate its liver with a side of fava beans!
- At the very end of the chapter, Cross takes a leaf out of Jake Sully's book, with a blatant reference to the film, as he jumps from a building onto the Unluckies to save Soundbite.
- Cross calls fighting the Unluckies pest control.
- Catching up to and starting to drown Mr. 13 in the water barrel, Cross has this to say.Cross: That'll do, pig. That'll do.
- As a method of payback to the Unluckies, Soundbite tortures them with Vogon poetry.
- Then we have two references to Pokémon: first, when Cross tells Miss Merry Christmas that he believes there aren't any bad animals, just bad owners, and Soundbite responds with the series' slogan to lampshade the reference. Then, fed up with Luffy's food theft, he ties his tongue around his head as a reference to Greninja.
- When B.R.O.B temporarily increases gravity, Zoro notes that such a thing would be good for training. However, Cross tells him that particular Devil Fruit is already or will be in the possession of someone who will become a Marine.
- May serve double duty, because Christopher Sabat provides the English dub voices of both Zoro and Vegeta.
- In retaliation for Vivi being outlawed, Cross establishes the Strawhat Broadcasting Station AKA the SBS.
- When he hears the arrival of the Great Kung Fu Galleon, Soundbite starts to play He's A Pirate, before switching to something a little more appropriate...
- Five Kung-Fu Dugongs end up joining the Straw-Hats, four of which carry very specific weapons, wear very specific headband colors, and have very specific names.
- The way the Kung-Fu Dugongs argue about what to name their group is reminiscent of a scene from Bleach where Nel and her companions argue about what to call their group.
- Bite my slimy mucus ass!
- Tennessee Williams;Soundbite: We all live in a house on fire, no fire department to call; no way out, just the upstairs window to look out of while the fire burns the house down with us trapped, locked in it.
- When Chopper's Mad Science Split Personality straps Cross to an Operating Table, Soundbite shatters his steel gag and sounds the alert;S.O.S., S.O.S.! MAYDAY, MAYDAY! WE NEED AN OLD PRIEST AND A YOUNG PRIEST, STAT! HEEEEEELP!
- After learning how Chopper created a super intelligent but morally bankrupt personality in himself, Cross first double checks with the crew if Robert Louis Stevenson is still a factor in their world, before continuing his analogy about how Chopper turned himself into Jekyll & Hyde.
- In response to Robin's wondering what Cross has planned for the revenge he promised her in Whiskey Peak, he and Soundbite paraphrase a speech from one episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.Cross: I'm not going to take revenge, Nico Robin. Or at least...I'm not going to take revenge today. Maybe not even tomorrow. You see
Soundbite: (in Uncle Phil's voice) I need to think a long, long time about just what I'm going to do with you. I don't know, it might come to me, pff, in the middle of the night... or maybe next week or, a few years from now. In the meantime, why don't you worry about it?
Soundbite: Be afraid, Robin.
Cross: (in Uncle Phil's voice) Be very afraid. (Evil Laugh)
- Shogun Octavio is the spitting image of DJ Octavio.
- Cross doesn't get the reference to Life's a Glitch TV after Soundbite gives the following line:Soundbite: But at what cost, SANJI?! At what cost?!
- When the skull lands on the ship, Cross and Soundbite use it to quote Hamlet, then quote Sherlock Holmes to explain where the skull came from.
Sky Island Saga
- Cross, Donny, and Robin do an improv Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney skit though only Cross knows it, the others are simply playing along.
- After Masira's crew replies to his question with "Aye, aye, captain, sir!", Soundbite prepares to start singing the theme song to Spongebob Squarepants until Cross forbids it...at least until they meet the talking starfish.
- There was some setup for this one, as they did see a sea turtle the size of an island in the previous chapter.Cross: So, what does it say about my life so far that I can say without a doubt that that is the second biggest sea turtle any of us have ever seen?
- "EAT MY SHORTS!"
- Cross likes his jacket, it's comfortable and easy to wear.
- When Cross ends up using Miss Friday to launch himself over a fence, Soundbite plays the theme music from Super Mario Bros., claiming it was because Cross just did a Goomba Stomp.
- Soundbite says "Run, Forrest, run!" to Cross.
- Cross and Soundbite justify how taking a walk resulted in the town being set on fire by insisting it was a "very enthusiastic walk".
- Chopper mentions calming pies while in Hyde mode.
- In an attempt to block out Luffy, Masira and Shoujou's singing, Soundbite begins playing the audio version of Two Girls, One Cup. Link not provided to preserve your sanity and lunch.
- While suffering through the antics of the previously mentioned South Birds, there's a subtle nod to a certain crazed German Medic.Cross: (exasperated) Kill me now.
Soundbite: (in a German accent) Later.
- Justice League;Masira: Actually, to be fair, the News Coos haven't come to this island since you started your show; their next delivery is later tonight...
Cross: That's. Not. Helping.
- When the Straw Hats are first bouncing around on Skypia, Soundbite sings an inverted version of "Under The Sea".OVER THE SEA, Darling it's better, UP WHERE IT'S HIGHER, Take it from me!
- Apparently Admiral Kizaru has something of a habit when it comes to accidentally shooting Vice-Admiral Brett.
- Cross quotes Alice in Wonderland, saying the Grand Line just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. Robin appreciates the reference.
- Soundbite sings a familiar little song about a jar of dirt.
- All the traps associated with Indiana Jones are experienced to Cross' cues while the crew is traveling through Skypiea, even if the giant rolling boulder of doom shows up a bit late.
- "Your stunned silence is very reassuring."
- When going through the tunnel leading to the Ordeal of Balls, Soundbite sings the tunnel song from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
- Cross tells the crew the story of Davy Jones and Calypso as a campfire ghost story... and a scare prank.
- When reassuring Merry, Soundbite sang "Impossible" from Cinderella (Rodgers and Hammerstein).
- Smoker tells Tashigi about the fate of 13th Royal Marine Flotilla. The last act they were part of was the 451 Degree Campaign. Paper burns at 451 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When asked where Eneru is headed, Soundbite replies, "BAM, POW, straight to THE MOON!"
- According to Word of God, if Soundbite ever saw the Heart Pirates' submarine, he'd have to be gagged to prevent from singing Yellow Submarine.
- Cross trolls the MI4 when they call him, by pretending to be Saint Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.
- When Nami kisses Robin out of sheer elation, Soundbite goes, "Ooooh myyyy..."
- When Conis asks the Straw Hats to join their crew, upon realizing that the pirate crew her mother joined before her was the Roger Pirates, Luffy, Usopp, Chopper and the TDWS bow down to her over and over while chanting "WE ARE NOT WORTHY!"
- When Cross and Luffy are swinging away from Drake and his men with Luffy's rubber arm, they end up crashing into a tree. Cross wonders why this reminded him of something, at which Soundbite pipes up the George of the Jungle theme song.
- When Nami and Vivi are trapped in a cell, Soundbite plays Jailhouse Rock, much to Vivi's chagrin.
- When the Straw Hats take out Navarone's main bridge, Soundbite starts singing London Bridge is Falling Down.
- When questioned about some of his actions by Jonathan, Cross has Soundbite quote the grrreat Captain Jack Sparrow:
- And to keep up with the Pirate of the Caribbean references:Luffy (upon the crew's escape): You will always remember this day as the day you almost caught Monkey D. Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates!
- What does Cross make the password for Isaiah and Terry to give Jonathan to be able to get into Marine Integrity?... Old Spice.
- Cross's codename is Ophiuchus, the unofficial thirteenth gate of the Zodiac. This is possibly a Fairy Tail reference. Or even a Saint Seiya referrence.
- When practicing his aim with Lassoo, Cross tries to shoot an apple off the top of Usopp's head.
- "You raaaaang?"
- Vivi's words on a king's anger resemble the First Hokage's in A Month as Naruto Uzumaki: "Your anger must be cold. Your anger must be controlled. And your anger must be legendary."
Water 7 Saga
- While aiming for an ambushing Foxy, Soundbite first asks if he's with Chica and Bonnie, and then gives directions in Widdershins. Cross calls him out on the latter.
- Nami's Angrish after using an Impact Dial ends in a similar way to a similar rant from Buggy in the fanfic New Game Plus:Nami: AND IT WILL BE BY FAR THE MOST DELICIOUS AND SATISFYING SALAD THAT I WILL EVER EAT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!
Cross: So glad that I can't be sued for all of this.
- When Ito announces that Luffy has donned an afro over the broadcast, Woop Slap shouts, "SHAME! SHAME ON YOUR WHOLE FAMILY! SOMEONE MAKE A NOTE OF THIS!"
- Soundbite plays Uptown Funk when Afro Luffy shows up.
- Aboard Hatchan's restaurant, he, Papugg, and Keimi ended up caught in the "Two Hard-Boiled Eggs" routine of the Marx Brothers.
- When Luffy is caught by an explosion and (briefly) believed killed, Usopp screams out the Game Over line from Metal Gear Solid:Usopp: "Luffy? Luffy!? LUUUUFFYYYYY!"
- Itomimizu is compared to Beaker... whose franchise is apparently known on the Grand Line.
- At the end of Luffy's fight with Foxy, Soundbite declares "FINISH HIM!"
- When a sea monster pops up in front of Aokiji, Boss and Su stop anyone from helping him. Why? The sea monster's already dead.
- Soundbite's battle cry while fighting Aokiji:What do we say to Death? NOT TODAY!
- During Cross's SBS broadcast, two of the listeners are a forgetful blue tang-fishgirl named Lori and a worry-wort clownfish-fishboy named Martin. One guess as to who they're based off of.
- Anybody else get flashbacks to Naruto with Cross talking about ending the cycle of hatred?
- Cross needed a code word to let Apoo know when to interrupt the SBS. The word he chooses? "Allon-sy!"
- When asking aloud how long it will take to get to Water 7, Cross hears Usopp shout "Land ho!" In response to the timing of this, Soundbite says in the voice of Andre the Giant:
- During the chase with the Unluckies, Soundbite plays "I Can't Turn You Loose" from Blues Brothers, much to Cross' irritation.
- At one point when it seemed like they lost the Unluckies, Soundbite quotes a certain commercial by saying, "That was easy."
- While fighting off the Unluckies, Cross hears somebody shout "MY CABBAGES!" And it wasn't Soundbite.
- When asked why he gave a female Yagara a male voice, Soundbite decides to blame Canada.
- Cross claims Franky is second only to Dr. Vegapunk. Franky asks, "Doctor who?"
- An awesome shout-out to Fullmetal Alchemist with Franky and Boss bonding by flexing their muscles.
- "BOSS USED SHELL SMASH! IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!"
- Hellsing Ultimate Abridged is always great for a laugh. Even better, the Marine Tashigi plays the Heroic Comedic Sociopath and the pirate Zoro plays the Only Sane Man;Tashigi: Glad to see you're as insensitive as ever, Roronoa.
Zoro: Glad to see that you're as grateful as ever, four-eyes.
Tashigi: Glad to see that you're still a barbarian.
Zoro: Glad to see you're still a novice.
Tashigi: BASTARD, I CUT PEOPLE!
- "GET ON WITH IT!" Soundbite is a bit surprised when Cross realizes that this is the first Monty Python reference he heard from him and resolves to try and make more.
- Usopp screams "USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS!" while repeatedly stomping on his Sniper King mask. After checking that Soundbite isn't responsible for this one, Cross comments that he makes it work.
- When Vivi panics about the Rocketman not having brakes, Soundbite cackles:
- Surprisingly, Kokoro happily points out that they will be passing 88 mph by a wide margin.
- Soundbite realizes Chopper just made a Call-Back to an event that happened before he joined the crew, then complains that his explanation raises even more questions.
- When Cross says "Let's get down to business", he preemptively tells Soundbite to not say anything about Huns.
- Franky, throughout the chapter, asks Conis if she is ready for whatever they're about to face. Conis notes he keeps asking that questionshe's starting to wonder if it means what he thinks it means.
- Cross calls Chopper Heterodyne-lite.
- When starting the SBS, Soundbite plays the first Death Note opening in English. Specifically, this version.
- After learning through the SBS that the Straw Hats are storming Enies Lobby, an apoplectic Sengoku orders his subordinates to get him "EEEVERYYYOOONE!"
- This exchange between Cross and Soundbite: "Good snail." "Best friend!"
- When calling the Rocketman, Soundbite quotes the Elton John song of the same name.
- When Nami begins unleashing hell on the Marines, Soundbite chants:
- Cross attempts to finish the quote, but cuts himself off when Nami gets especially scary.
- And later on, Cross refers to Zoro as Macduff and Nami as Lady Macduff.
- Cross gives his own version of Psalm 23:4, editing it in a manner to scare the bejeebers out of the Marines:"Yea, though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we will fear no evil... for we are as death itself."
- This song. Just, this song.
- After Sanji gives Judge Baskerville a spectacular put-down, Soundbite gleefully adds, "COURT DISMISSED! BRING IN THE DANCIN' LOBSTERS!"
- Jabra's ultimate technique is Fang Howling Over Fang.
- Soundbite quotes Lovecraft to help inspire Robin.
- Jabra's Cluster F-Bomb includes "Fuck the power rankings".
- Apoo and the Great Kung Fu Fleet raid a Marine convoy known as Task Force Cerberus, led by a trio of combatants wielding wires, a bazooka that doubles as a hammer, and tonfas/tong fa.
- After the flight of the Rocketman into the Tower of Justice, a furious Nami requests an equally furious Soundbite to Gastro-Amp her up to eleven before tearing Luffy and Cross a new one.
- In what doubles as a Moment of Awesome and Funny, Cross and Soundbite weaponize Abbott and Costello to take out a government agent. They then decide it isn't right to deprive the world of such comedy, so Cross has Soundbite play the Who's on First? routine on the SBS while he loots Spandam's office.
- After reading some incriminating material to the world and spreading some real chaos, Cross shouts "Are you not entertained?" as an appeal to B.R.O.B. to save Merry.
- After Cross broadcasts Spandam announcing his desire to replace the Five Elder Stars, Cross gleefully cuts in:Cross: You're on candid-snail, my friend.
- Hattori's reaction to Cross's plan to escape by jumping out a window, and Cross's response:Hattori: You're mad.
Cross: To paraphrase Will Turner's dubiously good friend Jack Sparrow-!
Soundbite: CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW!
Cross: Yes, yes, Captain Jack Sparrow, thank you... (Grins) Good thing I am, because otherwise this would probably never work.
- When deciding that Blueno would make a good springboard, Cross does a Dynamic Entry off his face, even shouting the attack as he does it.
- After Cross comments that Zoro was right that Enies Lobby was a zoo, Soundbite called it The Most Magical Place In The Grand Line. Cross groans that now all his memories of that theme park would be tainted.
- In a truly EPIC Shout Out to the anime, Soundbite finally gets past B.R.O.B's media block and plays music from One Piece's soundtrack.
- When Soundbite awakens his Devil fruit, he plays "Overtaken".
- When Soundbite declares he is a "god of noise", he plays "The Very Very Strongest".
- To Cross's request, he plays individual pieces for his, Boss, and Franky's climatic fights:
- The names of the nations involved in the wars around the Jewel Tree Adam (Shule, Cohor, Jared, and Akish) are a reference to leaders of the constantly warring Jaredites from The Book of Mormon.
- "EVERYBODY HAD MATCHING TOWELS!"
- In regards to fixing up an old rowboat, Cross attempts to tell Franky to "Do the thing."
- Captain Sharinguru claims that "THE HAMMER OF JUSTICE FALLS FROM ABOVE!", which after Conis incapacitates him leads Su to inquire if "Hammers of Justice" often get caught halfway down.
- Cross does another Dynamic Entry, this time into Spandam's face.
- When Spandam screams at the Straw Hats that Robin is a demon, Soundbite retorts that she's their demon, so Spandam has to cut her the hell loose.
- Cross describes Spandam's expression of growing horror (when he realises that Franky and Robin are in charge of his punishment) as "That glorious dawning moment of comprehension adored by sadists and stuffed tigers the world over."
- When Soundbite feebly declares that today is a good day to die, Conis retorts this is a good day for someone else to die.
- Conis ordering Su to lower the Marines' morale.
- And then Soundbite follows up by playing the Curb Stomp song.
- There isn't a single human alive that can comprehend Lindy's sexual preference.
- Upon seeing a topless Kokoro, Conis screams that "The goggles do nothing!"
- When the 300 elite Marines attack, Soundbite comments that they will fight them in the shade.
- Cross describes one of the Marine captains stretching like Mr. Fantastic.
- When Cross is turning ships against each other, at one point he chooses the ship with "Eenie meenie minie you".
- "Sea turtles, mate."
- Thanks to the Human-Human Fruit, Model: Child, the Going Merry essentially becomes a shipgirl.
- Continuing the No Time to Explain references wrt. Spandam's torture, he makes an appearance this chapter just long enough to shout: "SHOULDN'T I BE PASSING OUT BY NOW?! OH GOD THE PAIN!"
- The doctor in Water 7 apparently got the same advice as Papa Tearoom from a little girl for a few berries.
- Franky fueling up on spinach juice turns him into Popeye.
- "Fly, you fools."
- "MY RAGE IGNORES THIS."
- Merry used Fake Tears! It's only halfway effective.
- Usopp asks Cross what they're going to for the day. Cross replies with the same thing they do every day... start up the SBS and make the world a little more mad!
- Soundbite plays the Jeopardy! theme while Dorry and Broggy are trying to figure out how their duel started.
- Cross grumbles about Vivi's new ability, likening it to the Jedi Mind Trick.
- After Luffy is punched by Garp, Cross recognizes the opportunity and pulls Joseph Joestar's "Your next line is," trick.
- When Luffy sees a post-Garp-trained Coby, he calls him Natsu Dragneel. Cross is so agonised about Luffy's idiocy transcending time and space that he's the one who gives the Captain a Megaton Punch.
- Soundbite describes Cross's knowledge as, "Things that were... things that are... and some things... that have not yet come to pass."
- Soundbite gives his own version of the opening narration of Burn Notice to the CP9 agents.
- When Cross reads exactly what Urouge did to earn his new bounty, he tells Soundbite to "Do the Takei."Soundbite: Ooooh myyyy.
- The TDWS's wanted poster has them performing the Ginyu Force pose. Soundbite just says to be happy he didn't have them do Jojo.
- Cross's narration as he's being knocked out by Koala:
- When Cross is awoken by the foghorn button after his trip to Baltigo, he angrily asks who do they think he is, Spongebob?
- Another Girl Genius reference for Chopper: his epithet is "Spark of Genius".
- When it comes time for the latest meeting of MI6 (which is renamed the New World Masons in the process), Soundbite assigns new codenames to Zoro, Nami, Vivi and Merry, drawing inspiration from the members of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad.
- When it comes to naming their new ship, Robin, Boss and Soundbite suggest, respectively, Nostromo, Ishimura and Enterprise. Cross goes from Face Spasming to Face Faulting in minutes.
- Conis' suggestion for Sunny's name is Fluffy McFluffmeister.
- Log Horizon fans will recognize this joke;Usopp: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU THREE!?
Lassoo: Better question: what isn't?
- When the Thousand Sunny is leaving Water 7, Cross declares "We have our heading".
- Cross tells Garp he throws like Brett Favre.
- Boss doesn't handle Garp's favorite attack well;
- Luffy once again says the "You'll always remember this day" quote from Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Soundbite numbers the next SBS broadcast episode 493.
- The Accino Family leads Luffy into a trap with a trail of pieces of meat.
- The Penguins of Madagascar expies defeat the TDWS.
Thriller Bark Saga
- Five minutes. Monkey D. Luffy. And one traumatized pirate captain, his ambitions snuffed out. Result?
- When the Phoenix Pirates depart shouting "Aye-Aye, Captain!", Soundbite starts to sing a certain theme song, only for Cross to stop him.Soundbite: Spoilsport.
- The Mad Penguin of Gascar and cohorts. 'Nuff said.
- Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble!
- Pavarotto's description of playing music in the background of interrogation sessions is reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange.
- Concerning Burrato, Cross decides the last thing they need is for him to pull a runner... or worse, accidentally slap the ring on a corpse.
- Appropriately enough, Burrato's physical description is almost a complete match for Victor's.
- Robin is made to play the organ, and she has fun with it:
- As the wedding starts to crumble around them, Cross hits a detonator for the explosives wired to the Hirunos' ship, only for it to not work. Multiple times.Soundbite: Oscar-worthy performance, Ledger.
- When the suspiciously witch-like Hiou Hiruno is hit by the "punch" Sanji made for the wedding:
"I WILL NOT HAVE WHAT SHE'S HAVING!"
- At which point, a rather amused Soundbite paraphrases When Harry Met Sally...:
- Soundbite when Merry says anything that tries attacking Sunny from the front will be split clean in two:
- Brook, when confronting the zombies, gives Fezzik's Dread Pirate Roberts speech under suggestion from Cross.
- Bring out yer dead!
- Cross names the infiltration team "Gatecrasher".
- Let's see, we have a Male Coward (Usopp), a Female Beauty (Conis), a Female Brainiac (Robin), the Male Leader (Cross) and a talking dog (Lassoo) (who even has his laugh changed for the occasion!)... Ladies and gentlemen, we give you Mystery Incorporated, One Piece Edition.
- Instant Epicness and Funny: Cross channeling the King of Pop by leading dancing zombies to the appropriate beat.Cross: EAT YOUR HEART OUT, JACKSON!
- Cross does the Gendo Pose to hide his now-rigid smile when called "Farmer Jeremiah" by Su.
- While Su is cleansing the labyrinth of spider-mice, she gives herself the codename "Solid Fox".Su: "Shhh no no, no tears only dreams now.
- When Team 2 knocks Abasalom off the Sunny, Merry comments that she didn't hear any splash.
- While in Dr. Hogback's manor, Robin draped herself over what was described as a red velvet fainting couch with one arm over her face.
- There are mentions of zombies wearing iron buckets and traffic cones.
- Soundbite warns Su not to go into a certain tower and when she asks what'll happen if she does.Soundbite: YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME.
- He also keeps saying "But no one came."
- Shortly after Conis blows open the door to Freezer 900:Robin: "Ah, of course, of course."Cross: "No time for a horse, let's go!"
- Hildon's team of zombies are the Deimon Devil Bats.
- Donny's General Zombie opponent is Fire Zombie Bill.Bill: LEMME SHOW YA SOMETHING!
- When Cross arrives on the battlefield, he's riding a zombified cyborg Tyrannosaurus Rex. As he makes it breathe fire, it roars with the same roar as the T-rex in Jurassic Park.
- When the sun finally shines at the edge of the Florian Triangle, Soundbite recites the first lines of Puck's final monologue from A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- As Soundbite introduces the Obelisks of the Florian, he adopts the voice of Rod Serling.
- Lola's codename as a member of the New World Masons? Rabbit.
- When Onion explains how he figured out Cross would need five hours to sing "1,000 Bottles of Rum on the Wall", the other Veggie Pirates keep yelling "Neeeerd!"
- During his friendship speech to Zoro and Nami, Cross quotes the first One Piece opening.
Little East Blue
- Soundbite utters the Goofy holler when he and Cross are snagged by Luffy and lifted up to Boss!Kabuto.
- Brook remarks about how he died from a poisoned arrow to the knee, though the wound itself wasn't too bad and wonders why everyone makes such a big deal out of it.
- When Luffy asks why Soundbite hasn't translated Boss Kabuto's language, Soundbite channels his inner Bones.
- Yoko's obsessive desire to prove the Straw Hats are evil has her uttering "FAIRY GODPARENTS" at one point.
- Usopp references the Dread Gazebo.
- One of the baby animal hybrids in the Grove of Unusual Animals are turtle-ducks.
- When Corto asks Cross if he's seen a giant beetle around, Cross goes around describing the beetle in full, before concluding with "Nope! Sorry, can't help you!"
- After landing a good hit on Corto, Soundbite asks Cross if he has anything he wants to say to his adoring masses. Cross apologizes to the Academy, claiming he did not mean to ram that antique car into the side of a building, and that he was aiming for the Dairy Queen next door.
- One declaration of "Man's Romance" has Boss show up with a brief overlay of Maito Guy.
Summit War Saga
- During the victory party, Soundbite hopes he can see someone fall overboard. When Usopp obliges, Soundbite is pleased."I did, I DID SEE SOMEONE fall overboard!"
- Conis at one point cries out "Excelsior!" while drunk.
- Just like his other confidante crewmembers, Cross assigns Robin a Code Name from the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad - specifically, Black Mamba.
- While approaching the Red Line, Cross has to ask if the Sunny is stuck in a gigantic whirlpool, then question the possibility of there being sharp rocks at the bottom.
- BIG MEATY CLAWS.
- On a side note: with the appearance of Pappug, Soundbite finally gets to sing the theme song (though thankfully, the story skips over it).
- Cross notes while discussing mermaids that he has never been one to "HEL-LO NURSE!"
- The Little Mermaid is apparently a thing in the One Piece world... albeit with a few differences.
- While facing Nami over the appearance of the former Arlong Pirates, Cross admits fault but declares he will not go silently into that good night.
- Chopper: "Good eve-ning!"
- The authors reference the fanfic Ashes of the Past by Saphroneth for the phrase: "We draw a veil over the scenes of indescribable carnage."
- Soundbite refers to Funkfreed, an informant on illicit government operations, as "Deep Nose."
- When Sandersonia introduces herself to Tashigi under the codename of "Anaconda", Soundbite started to sing a particular lyric from Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby got Back"note only for Cross to stop him before he could go any further.
- Cross gives Soundbite the greenlight to quote Darth Vader when revealing the truth about Hody Jones to Jinbei.
- When the Risky Brothers meet the Thousand Sunny at the gate of Skelter Bite with "Who dare approaches", Soundbite retaliates "YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!" sounding like Darth Vader possessed by Zuul.
- As Vivi, Carue and Brook are given a tour of Skelter Bite, a shot rings out and out comes a British man in a white suit and impressive beard holding a gun, announcing he just shot someone. He's even named Benedict, to boot.
- One of the Straw Hats' guides around Skelter Bite is an ex-Rolling Pirate named Jagger.
- After Funkfreed tells Law about Flevance and getting the appropriate reaction, he mentions half of Horton's oath ("I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.") when asked if he's being truthful.
- Law utilizes his powers to immobilize and intimidate Cross in a manner very reminiscent of Darth Vader. To the point where Soundbite tries to get him to say "Cross, I am your father."
- When Bonney addresses one of her crewmates, a scholar named Oriol, the context is in such a way that she says "And Oriol?" This is a reference to another One Piece SI fic called But Mom, I Don't Wanna Be a Pirate; Andoriol is the author's username.
- "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"
- Soundbite sets the Supernova Bar Brawl to "Bad Reputation". This isn't the first time that song was set to a free-for-all fight, or involved with One Piece.
- Bepo: (getting stuck halfway through a wooden wall) "Oh, bother..."
- "GO FOR THE EYES, WHITE ONE! THE EYES!"
- During the brawl, Cross performs the "People's Elbow!"
- After overhearing Cross tell Law about her, Bonney considers going up to Mariejois to have some Century Soup and Jewel Meat.
- Cross's duel with Brook is interrupted by Captain Bearington◊, who is most definitely not just a giant grizzly bear.
- Nami asks Hachi if he or the other Arlong Pirates found 'him,' to which he answered that although Arlong sent word out, they never heard anything back. Odds are that Nami was referring to Raijax, a character from Xomniac's earlier One Piece story, Ripples, Waves, Tsunamis.
- Cross opening the SBS for the Dead End Race to the tune of "Professional Pirate" from Muppet Treasure Island.
- Vivi uses kismet to describe Zoro and Sanji's relationship with each other, clarifying that she means that they have a "destined loathing." Kismet is one of the root words (the other being nemesis) of the type of troll romance that involves hatefucking.
- Jonathan advices Ain to cease with her polite coughing, because it really sounds like a fat toad stuck in her throat.
- To cap off their punishment of two privateer captains for abusing their ships, Merry and Franky execute a textbook Muscle Docking.
- And shortly afterward, when Cross Impact Dials Boss off of Chuchun after the latter geeks out of over the technique, the dugong shouts "FOUL!" on the way down.
- As a Call-Back, it's revealed that Soundbite did sing "Yellow Submarine" after seeing the Heart Pirates' ship, as Law apparently found it catchy.
- While Cross is making his request to Shakky for supplies, Soundbite has this to add:
- While the Straw Hats are running assorted missions across Sabaody, Cross's group has a brief meetup with a half-fishman Miror B., Poké Ball haircut and all.
- Mention is made of a sandwich shop, known as the "Crazy Chicken". (In Spanish? "El Pollo Loco".)
- Soundbite takes the opportunity to start playing Libera Me from Hell when Hachi declares that going Beyond the Impossible is exactly what Fisher Tiger did, and what they should do too.
- While Law is interrogating a slaver, he ends his demand with the phrase "Would you kindly?". Soundbite immediately eavesdrops mentioning Law should get a moustache and be hit with a golf club to the pirate's confusion and ire.
- A chemist that Cross meets briefly while the Sabaody Revolution is in progress is in full Yzma-mode, with a nearby bartender substituting for Kronk. Complete with lever-operated trapdoor.
- While listening to the SBS broadcast of said Revolution, Lindbergh more or less recreates the Trope Naming scene for My God, You Are Serious, when he asks whether Belo Betty is jealous of Cross's ability to incite riots.
- To restore the morale of the rescued slaves at Grove 77, Cross, Soundbite, and Brook kickstart a performance of Do You Hear The People Sing?.
- During the performance, Soundbite refers to Brook as "Bonejangles", after the skeleton band leader in the afterlife from Corpse Bride.
- Cross and Soundbite running into a gas-masked wearing clairvoyant who tells them not to reveal his presence, and is also confused as why their thoughts connect video games to him...
- One of Tashigi's men answers Cross as Kanji from the Bad, Bad Bathhouse.
- Cross remembers watching The Secret of NIMH and The Land Before Time as a kid and being focused more on the taking animals and spectacles than the darker themes as a way to comprehend why Saint Charloss enjoys his SBS while ignoring all the Anti-World Government lectures.
- Cross introduces the SBS with Charloss using the theme song of The Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day as a Stealth Insult.
- After the interview, when asked if he needed anything by Robin, Cross asks for a list of items ending in a gun to shoot himself which may be a reference to Dragon Ball Z Abridged where a hungover Roshi lists items in a similar manner.
- Cross's speech when confronting Saint Roswald:Cross: Back home, where I'm from? Well, a great man once said something about my country. He said that it was a nation that was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences. What that means, is that when anyone, be it the mob, be it the press, be it even the World, tells you to move, to stand aside and let what you know, you know to be an injustice be committed... your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole World... (walks up to Roswald) No. You move.
- When Rayleigh grabs hold of Kizaru, the latter makes a calm request.
- When Kizaru sees the hold Rayleigh has on his leg, he starts to panic. Rayliegh remarks:
- Cross, in describing Kuma: "He's more machine now than man, twisted and-"
- "The avalanche has begun, and it's too late for the pebbles to vote."
- With Sandersonia still fainted, Cross is going to try to wake her up, but while she is prostrated at a table he is relieved that "she doesn't have flowers or is bathed in light, Although Soundbite provides an angelic choir".
- Just before being sent flying by Kuma, Soundbite says "I don't want to go".
- After Marguerite loses an eye, her comrades ask if she's getting an urge to read porn in public and suggests she avoid wearing a face mask.
- The Bio-weapon that Stussy and Ratchet brought to the island as a backup plan is titled "Project: Snake Eater."
- After Luffy tosses a sea king steak at an insectoid BioMEGA, everyone is left speechless for a few seconds. Then a Sea King rises from the nearby canal to bite the BioMEGA's head off, and Luffy smirks, crosses his arms, and says, "All according to cake...or whatever it is Soundbite says when he's being smug." The correct phrase is, "All according to keikaku," taken from the Death Note fandub.
- When they crash into Level 3, Galdino remarks that he hates sand, since it's coarse, rough, and gets everywhere.
- When Izo shows up on the Moby Dick, getting from Paradise to the New World seemingly without a boat, Marco demands to know how he did it. Izo, in a hurry, simply claims, "Sea turtles."
- After meeting Buggy, Luffy makes a break for it as some Impel Down guards appear. Luffy thinks they saw him... and then they open fire.Luffy: Yes! Yes they did.
- Buggy swears by "Kefka below". For extra points, Buggy and Kefka have the same voice actor.
- When bursting out of the boiling cauldron of blood, the Warden's massive venom Hydra lets out Godzilla's Signature Roar.
- The gift Usopp gives Luffy before they separate is a super durable rubber band he dubs the "Usopp Elastic Wonder", with 999 different uses.
- Hannyabal declaring "I... fight... on..." just like Tatewaki Kuno.
- "The boo box" is mentioned as one of the punishment methods Sadi has picked up from listening to the SBS.
- Impel Down's motto: Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here
- Luffy tells Magellan (done earlier by Cross and Soundbite to the crew) an abridged tale of the life of Jesus and the details of his death.
Decks of the World EX: Pt. 2
- To stop the Dr. Vegapunk's lab from exploding, Franky has to complete three tasks within sixty seconds. Following along with a color keypad, swiping a security card, and entering a 5 digit access code. All of these tasks come from Among Us.
- When Merry sets up traps for the Fishmen in Davy Jone's Locker, she proudly screams "Suddenly pineapples!" while one of the Fishmen cries out in pain, "MY LEG!"
- For all the horrors of this chapter, there are a few references:
- Cross admits to getting Undertale vibes from Lily Carnation.
- When Usopp gets carried off, Soundbite shouts "Up, up, and away!"
- Soundbite refers to the drill that can pierce the heavens.
- Papa Tearoom complains about being given advice from a young girl for only five berries.
- "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
- Usopp scares off a monster Giraffe with a Kamehameha Expy. Though it was actually just a Lamp Dial hidden in his hands.
- At one point, Funkfreed refers to Lassoo as Snoopy.
- The SBS that starts off the event is started with Sono Chi no Sadame, the first opening of Jojos Bizarre Adventure, being played over it.
- When Cross's group finally finds the Sunny, Soundbite plays the classic "Hallelujah" Victorious Chorus from Handel's Messiah.
- When Boss is seen wearing Triangle Shades, one of Neptune's ministers muses about a young fishman who wore similar shades who spoke of seeing the surface himself.
- While opening fire on the enemy pirates, Merry cheerfully boasts that "entire crew is babies!"
- When fighting off Shiki's forces, Miss Valentine notes that she's embarrassed because it's a party and she forgot to bring a banana. Apparently you should always bring a banana to a party.
- When applying new clown makeup, Dr. Indigo adds more black to his features for intimidation. Chopper notes that the Juggalo look (learned from Cross) is fitting for an "insane clown" like Indigo.
- The seagulls that attack the mutated doe all say, "Mine."
- Soundbite's first bit of (trolling) advice to Usopp is the Konami Code.
- When the time comes to leave, Gin notes that they came, they saw, and they kicked their asses, so it was time to leave.
- Lindy, when reveling in his youth, gives a little speech that would do a certain kishin proud. The fact that he grew stronger by "de-volving" also calls to mind Mosquito, who grew stronger by reverting his body back to previous points in his long life.
- Merry's newest gun costs forty million beris to fire for twelve seconds.
- When Merry realizes just how much the Cannibal's "attitude adjustment" is going to cost her, she lets off Captain Haddock's most iconic swear (in the original French, no less):Merry: MILLE MILLIONS DE MILLE MILLIARDS DE MILLES SABORDS!
- Lindy remarks that he'd dream about being captain of a better pirate ship than the Cannibal, Apis asks how that would be better. Apart from having dragons, it'd also have blackjack and hors d'oeuvres. Apis correctly guessed that he meant "hookers".
- Bartolomeo demonstrates the diversity of the word fuck at one point.
- Among the Merveille beasts, there's also an unusually acrobatic tiger and a small kangaroo.
- While getting himself and Nami away from the snowball fight, Cross almost completes the iconic line from Terminator:Cross: Come with me if you want to li- ow!
- BROB decides to make a One Piece Halloween more entertaining by turning the Straw Hats and their allies into their costumes and send them to the Halloween world of The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- As for their costumes...
- Robin becomes Rob Sterling from The Twilight Zone (1959)
- Brook, of course, becomes an afro-wearing twin of Jack Skellington.
- Becomes a Chekhov's Gun, as it turns out Jack's always wanted to pull a twins act!
- Sanji dressed as Remy from Ratatouille
- Apis becomes a literal Doctor Dolittle.
- Ever is described as a GI Jane.
- Bartolomeo dressed up as Beetlejuice while Foxy dressed up as The Mask, leading to a superpowered competition.
- Hina is Maleficent, which she even calls herself in the third person.
- Nami became Tiamat from Dungeons & Dragons, all five heads having a different aspect of her personality.
- Jango and Fullbody become Thing One and Thing Two.
- When Cross lets everyone know that they're safe, Soundbite tries to quote Willy Wonka, though has to ammend the phrase.Soundbite: Little surprises around every corner, but nothing... INTENTIONALLY dangerous!
- Dr. Finklestein recreates the classic "It's Alive!" while trying to figure out how Franky works.
- Robins finds herself reading a book named "To Serve Man".