- During Harry's first summer, Ron tells him about how an author named "Rowl-something or other" wrote a series of books called "The Young Lily Evans Adventures" series that are all the rage with girls Ginny's age (11 at that time).
- Luna manages to convince the Sudowoodo to become her Pokémon by using a speech similar to the one Frederick Frankenstein uses to get the Monster to calm down.
- Luna at one point tries to figure out who fits which Ranger color.
- Luna is just an endless fountain of what are actually In-Universe obscure pop culture references (but still shout-outs).
- Luna asks Professor McGonagall why she does not get on well with Mrs. Crawley.
- The Credo of the Pack and the Sons of Johto is "This is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky..."
- All of Jack's Pokemon save for Oroku (his Protean Froakie, which shares a name with Koga and Shredder's) and Baby Love (an Amaura inspired by the baby dinosaur from It's not the Raptor DNA) are named after characters from Lord of the Rings.
- Also, all of Jasmine Kenway's Pokemon are named after Disney characters - save her Aegislash.
- Barty Crouch Jr. is very much like The Doctor.
- Rosen and Guilden, the two aurors stuck on midnight desk duty, are named for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, the minor characters from Hamlet.
- The Kenway Ancestors all take their names from Assassin's Creed. There is Edward, Haythem, Connor, Evie, Jacob, and Shay that are all mentioned back Jack and his family.
- Harry summons Hedwig only for the Hoothoot he thinks is Hedwig to reveal itself to be Luna, who proclaims, "You thought it was your Pokemon you were summoning, but it was I, Dio!"
- Luna then proclaims she is able to break the laws of physics because this is a fused loop and she is the only one awakened. She then tries to explain about Yggdrasil before Ron distracts her.
- During the discussion on Umbridge, Luna somehow gets her hands on a Guy Fawkes mask and claims they have to blow up Parliament, before jumping into an Added Alliterative Appeal-studded speech.
- In order to distract Luna, Harry (pulling a book similar to one the Pack apparently uses when Jack goes on his little mind travels) asks her why Lost ended in a church.
- Dark Lightning, the Signature Attack of the Kenway Family's Tyranitars, resembles Godzilla's atomic fire breath.
- Harry's newly caught Kommo-O is named Vegeta by the Pack due to his arrogant nature and desire for battle. Later, when he uses Focus Blast the dragon performs it just like it was a Final Flash. Naturally, when Luna captures a Goodra, she calls it Kakarot, and the two Pokémon show a rivalry.
- Jack's Tyrantrum, Smaug, lives up to his namesake, using an altered version of Smaug's "Step into the Light" speech when he first appears.
- Looker hacks into the Pokémon League to reveal his information on Team Nocturne, just as the League is considering giving Voldemort a position in government, and asks Voldemort if he knows about them. When Voldemort denies it...Looker: Well, that is rather odd then, isn't it? Because I'm pretty sure that is the name you've given to your little band of rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, muggers, buggerers, bushwackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.
- When Harry asks why Remus and Sirius didn't want to mention about what the Order of Moltres tried to do, Remus says it is because they were ashamed they almost sold his future for "peace in our time".
- Xeno Lovegood's article on Team Nocturne is studded with these.
- He begins by referencing Beatle Mania.
- When speaking about what Team Nocturne is doing, he includes keeping Pokelantis off the map, keeping the Martians under wraps, holding back the electric car and making Steve Guttenberg a star.
- He reminds Avalonians that, when encountering someone from Team Nocturne, they should not feed them, especially after midnight.
- He offers the theory that Patrick Parkinson was turned into a Joltick, placed in a box which was placed in another box and mailed to Umbridge, who then smashed it with a hammer.
- One of the "people" he interviews is Barry Allen (who was sadly trapped in Xeno's television).
Shoutout / Harry Potter: Pokémon Master