open/close all folders
- Matt's power of mimicry is loosely based on Kirby (specifically his appearances in Smash).
- As an adult, he wears Kaito's coat and scarf.
- Artemis' full name, Artemis Astarte, contains allusions to both Artemis Fowl and Astarte.
- The Maid's alternate title is "Outraged Drider In a maid Outfit", or ODIO for short.
- Eloria's axe is named Hector.
- Collin basically has Tyki Mikk's powers.
- Caroline keeps getting called Coraline.
- Rebecca's hair is based off of Junko Enoshima's Mega Twintails. Her icon on social sites is one of fake!Junko's character portraits.
- Esther has Chiyo-Chan's corncob shaped pigtails.
- Marcus was named after the shopkeeper from the Borderlands series.
- Dark Matt's thorns main attack being an embarrassing fondling is reminiscent of Demon Mobster Kingpin.
- Damien's "Black Breath" attack is an obvious reference to the infamous Bad Breath move from Final Fantasy as it's a party wide status inflicting move.
- It also just so happens to be Bulzeeb's title in ''Bomberman 64: The Second Attack.
- "And That's Why He Shakes" is titled after a line from one of Jeff Dunham's skits.
- In Scardey Fox Training, the first slide is a "Skelington".
- Ophelia Memory 1 is blatantly inspired by the Spaceman Spiff (and other bouts of imagination) strips from Calvin and Hobbes.
- Arachnightmare's author's comments outright admits to being heavily based on a Brawl in the Family comic.
- Luigifan, Matt, and Dark Matt frequently start singing actual songs. However, it's hard to notice with Matt, as he is usually singing an English version of a Vocaloid song.
- Kazu makes an obscure song reference, one to Rush; quoting their song The Twilight Zone, mentioning the key part (for those who don't know the lyrics; Use the key / unlock the door / see what your fate might have in store). note
- Mysta's main gimmick may be an obsession with the moon, but his secondary gimmick is clearly his usage of Spell Cards in general, and using the Spell Card system from Average Joe In Bullet Hell in particular.
- Many of his spell cards are either lifted wholesale from or inspired by Reisen Udongein Inaba and Eirin Yagokoro. (Note that he actually does this as a gesture of respect to them; Mysta claims that Eirin was his tutor.)
- Arthur Calibur wields Soul Calibur from the Soul Series. For those among you wondering how this is possible...
- Several of the names of Luigifan's characters are Shout-Outs:
- The Pequin tribe in general is named after the Pequod, Captain Ahab's ship in Moby-Dick. (Which was itself named after a Native American tribe.)
- Luther is named after Don Knotts' character in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (not Lex Luthor, as many people seem to assume).
- Sonja is named after a character from Advance Wars.
- Most of the Dawns are named after Fire Emblem characters. (The main exceptions are Lindsay (who was named after one of Luigifan's childhood friends), roughly half of Linus's children (who are named after Luigifan's cousins), Carnation (who follows the Natchrallis' floral Theme Naming), and Harry (who was named after Harry Potter).)
- Lucy Round's name is a blatant I Love Lucy reference.
- Margaret's name is taken from The Five People You Meet In Heaven.
- Dream's name is derived from "Dream a Dream" by Captain Jack.
- Chevy and Shirley are named after Chevy Chase and Shirley Temple, respectively.
- Dexter's name is lifted from Dexter's Laboratory.
- Horatio's name is lifted from Hamlet.
- The nicknames of Luigifan's Pokémon also tend to be Shout Outs (at least, when they're not bad puns).
- His Kyogre is nicknamed Shamu, after the famous performing whale.
- Luigifan nicknamed his Ho-Oh Orion, as a reference to the Orre region.
- Luigifan's Reshiram and Zekrom are nicknamed Forblaze and Aureola, respectively.
- His Kyurem is nicknamed Frostmournnote .
- His Volcarona is named Solaris, after the sun god from Sonic '06.
- His Greninja is named Rikimaru, after the Tenchu character.
- He has a Gardevoir nicknamed Galaxina, after, well... she's also a character in this comic...
- Luigifan nicknamed his Xerneas and Yveltal Yggdrasil and Soma Cruz, respectively.
- Ryu has a similar penchant for Shout Outs with his Pokémon. Thus far, he has named his own Pokémon (all of which are Hoenn legendaries, given his creation around the time of the Hoenn remakes) Amaterasu, Susanoo, Orochi, and Tsukuyomi for Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Jirachi, respectively.
- Torch and Matthew's eventual daughter Elodie was named after the main character of Long Live the Queen, while Lydia and Sunlight's son Lucius was named after the Fire Emblem The Blazing Sword character.
- pommyman providing exposition as Valkenhyne, just as he does in Rachel's Gag Ending in Continuum Shift.
- "Atta boy, ____!"
- "This can't be happening! WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
- The more sadistic villains, such as Wrapsodi and Corneria, are frequently noted to enjoy watching a person lose all hope.
- Sonic, Amy, and Silver are frequently mentioned as having a resistance to toxins — an ability that hedgehogs actually possess in real life.
- Funny moments are sometimes lampshaded with a character mentioned to be "beside him/herself at all the free comedy (s)he's getting".
- Potentially very painful situations are lampshaded by declaring that they "sound hurty".
- "Thanks a bundle!" is commonly used as a "big thanks" line.
- Luigifan proclaiming "I have a cunning plan!" when he's come up with an, erm, creative solution to the current dilemma. Much like in Exterminatus Now, the other characters (especially Dream) tend to be rather terrified whenever he says it.
- During bleak situations, it's not uncommon for someone to say, "We might actually be screwed."
- Disqueting information is often met with a reply of "Be afraid. Be very afraid."
- Damien, Ne, and Sky have a habit of going "Eeeee" like Chibi-Mikuru.
Dark Matt Bio
It's A PDGM
- The Mobian Inquisition gets namedropped early on.
- During the briefing, Luigifan claims that Damien Kane is screwed from behind, without lube or cessation due to Mr. Snow's cryokinesis, and that Empire City is at risk of becoming "a frakkin' Gotham".
- Upon being left to die in an explosion by Lillian's alternate personality and buried under some rubble, Lily angrily mutters that Lillian will have some explaining to do.
- Luigifan compares Damien Kane to Lelouch Lamperouge.
- "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR??????"
- The Heroes' League briefly discusses killing Bill.
- Luigifan calls Sonic "Property Damage the Hedgehog" after he causes a huge mess in the Mobian Museum.
- The entire discussion of robot sex alludes to Two Evil Scientists. And then the conversation quickly segues into a discussion of the work of another DeviantART user (username lol20).
A rare moment indeed
- Luigifan, upon capturing Chong, Wu, and Lung, asks them "Do you feel lucky, punks?"
- Daisy is mentioned to have kicked Bowser's ass... while completely unarmed. She has, in fact, done precisely that during the Story Mode of Mario Party 3.
- Matt, while mimicking Pit, taunts Tatanga by singing "I've got a bow of lii-ght!", much like Jack Sparrow taunts Davy Jones with his jar of dirt.
- Mario (badly) quotes Sonic's "real super power of teamwork" speech. Sonic immediately lampshades it.
- Cassandra sings a heavily modified version of the gingerbread man nursery rhyme while chasing Tatanga alongside Mario and Luigi.
- While going ballistic on Bling, Luigi shouts that "YOUR GAME'S AS GOOD AS OVER ALREADY!!!!!"
- Later, Luigi is mentioned to be carving phrases too disgusting to be repeated in polite company into Bling's flesh. This is a reference to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where Lisbeth Salander does the same thing to a man who raped her.
- This roleplay marks the first appearance of Luigifan's aforementioned singing. In order, he sings "Kiss from a Rose", "Rush", "Renegade", "Let's Dance", "Amaranth", and "Without a Fight". And that's just Luigifan singing...
- Damien's idea of preparing to fight Necrongius's zombie horde? Dress the cast up as the survivors from Left 4 Dead.
- After Pommy scares Annie by moaning "Braaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss" right behind her, Luigifan lampshades just how mean-spirited it was:Luigifan: You have startled the Witch. You are now screwed.Annie: ...What.
- Artemis suggests using a shotgun on Necrongius, reasoning that he'll consider it too primitive to bother with dodging.
- This exchange:Necrongius: Yes... Cassandra has only five more minutes to live... And when those five minutes are up, the Lord of
ChaosRuin shall consume her soul and reign supreme over everything!!!Luigifan: *from the rear of the chapel* Let me get this straight - YOU'VE TURNED CASSANDRA'S SOUL INTO THE ***ING ONE RING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?Doopliss: ...Your analogy is clumsy, but I suppose it'll work.
- As he's struck down by Arthur, Necrongius declares that "I will haunt you to the day you die..." Luigifan even declares him a Vile wannabe, making a reference to ClementJ642's LP.
- Upon making her entrance, Super Caterina declares that "I, Caterina, will knock you all down!"
- Princess Peach bonks Cackletta in the head with a turnip. When Todd mentions that Cassandra would find this hilarious if she was conscious to witness it, Cackletta's response is "The answer's simple... We kill the diplomat." Todd immediately lampshades it.
- "Whose idea was it to bring the only thing to rival Discord in sheer magical insanity?"
- Dark Matt releasing Restriction 666 to punish Devin (declaring that hes about to go SNK on [her] ass) when he finds that she's already given his gold to the True Evil Pig Wizard.
- While chasing Luther to Skyzapper, Bowser Jr. declares "THE MOTHER OF ALL WARS HAS BEGUN! THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE BLOOD OF THE NONBELIEVERS!!!"
- When confronted by Artemis over Bowser Jr.'s attempt to kill Damien (interrupting his attack on Skyzapper to finish Lindsay off), Bowser's response is "I don't know what you're talking about... Move, bitch, get out of the way!" while shoving her into Don Pianta's office (from outside of the building it's in).
- After being viciously attacked by Artemis (both because of Bowser Jr.'s actions and the above-mentioned violent rebuffing of her accusation of such), Bowser complains that now he's got back problems all over again, referring to the reason why he wasn't able to curl up in his shell right from the start of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.
- Blackveil, Bowser's Darkrai, declares "Let the haunt be the haunted" while infiltrating Skyzapper. This is a reference to Saliva's take on the Spy Hunter theme, which became Bowser Jr.'s Bootstrapped Leitmotif during this roleplay. (It's also a pun, since the original line is "Let the hunt be the hunted".)
- Fawful, upon capturing Rudy, threatens to kill him by quoting Monty Python.Fawful: Tulip Natchralli! If you don't surrender your voice to the Great Cackletta, your mate will cease to be! He'll be an ex-fox! Shuffle off the mortal coil! Pining for the fjords-
- Immediately afterwards, Ben shuts Fawful down. His Pre-Asskicking One-Liner of choice? "Torgue. Because they don't make their guns out of freakin' wood."
- Right before she starts singing her version of "In the Dark of the Night", Mysto declares, "Hmph! Fine! You want a song? I'll give you a song!", mimicking Queen Narissa's pre-One-Winged Angel Villainous Breakdown/Badass Boast from Enchanted.
About dang time
- While searching through his PC and finding that it's taking way longer than it should, Luigifan blurts out "MOVE FASTER POKEY!!!!!"
- Even Margaret cannot resist making references to The Ghost and Mr. Chicken:Margaret: "Atta girl, Lucy!"
- When Donald summons The World to freeze Lucy to death, it introduces itself with its intro quote from its home game.
- When it's revealed that Bowser Jr. is trying to drop Lindsay's mom into highway traffic, Dandelion's response is "Sounds hurty".
- When Tora asks what an ogre is, Luigifan begins to explain, "See, ogres are like onions..." (He's shut up before he can get to the spiel about layers by Tora and Entegra staring at him with a look of sheer incomprehension.)
- Bowser Jr.'s scheme to barricade the exits of the church and burn it down with Lindsay trapped inside is explicitly mentioned to have been inspired by The Patriot, where Travington does the same thing with considerably more success.
- When Bowser Jr. runs off, vowing to get Lindsay next time, Lindsay imitates the screeching of Dr. Claw's cat.
Fatty Versus Fairy
- Cosmo reminisces about one of Dark Matt's plans that was interrupted by Yatterman.
- Upon revealing herself to Lindsay (who she has just rendered helpless with her newfound power), Corneria declares "I'm back, you subnormal halfwit!"
- When Lucy lets out a Big "NO!", Luigifan asks her, "You trying to release Iblis or something?"
- Matt and Dark Matt end up in a Dive to the Heart after Cassandra inadvertently uses them to unlock her power of mimicry.
- When it looks like Cassandra is dead and Mario and Luigi are discussing how Peach is likely to react ("She'll flip!"), Luigi mentions how the only way Peach would be more upset is if Mario died. Mario's response to this is "Please-a don't remind me of that mansion incident." Luigi's response to that is "If I do, you'll probably bring up that time Bowser Jr. framed me for murder."
- While Lily is in the Pikachu Cave, knowing full well that she's dying as she speaks with Legault and trying to tell him goodbye, she says "My time in this world is coming to an end." Author!Luigifan brings up that he almost had her say "What need is there for the shepherd when the wolves are all gone?", and the only reason he didn't is because the Heroes' League's enemies aren't permanently defeated. note
- While helping to revive Marcus, Lucy refers to him as her "special one".
- After Matt horrifically fails at giving Legault a blood transfusion, Luigifan states that Legault may have ended up like Lucy Westenra.
- The Happy Sperm Club is explicitly compared to the villains of Taken.
- The last segment of the story takes place in Spagonia, so shout-outs to Sonic Unleashed are downright inevitable. Especially when the heroes find themselves visiting Professor Pickle.
- Luigifan summons the Elite Beat Agents by yelling "HEAAAAAAALLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs, just like in the game.
- While explaining the events of the roleplay so far to Tori, Luigifan mentions that Cassandra "went 'splodey".
- Synder sees Marion and Marian in Devin's eyes. This is supposed to be a reference to Hare and Guu, where two characters living in Guu's world were visible in her eyes.
And that's why he shakes
With all of the Call Backs this roleplay has, it's no surprise that it's chock-full of Shout Outs as well.
- pommyman's very first post has Collin promising to teach Entegra what Yoshis taste like and Entegra vowing to floss her teeth with Wrapsodi's spine.
- On the very next turn, Collin mentions the infamous Cupcakes fic.
- Matt lost the power of patience! note
- Lily reveals an ability to manipulate spiderwebs, mentioning that she inherited it from Dracula. While he never displayed such abilities in the Castlevania series, he did in the original novel.
- While talking about Lily's pregnancy, Luigifan declares that she will need "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!!" while doing his best Mad-Eye Moody impression.
- After kidnapping Tulip, Wrapsodi dares the Heroes' League to get her back, stating "Come and get me if you want her back! Or else she will die!" a dual reference to Eggman taunting Sonic over the Crazy Gadget intercom in Sonic Adventure 2 and Ganon's infamous rebuke of Zelda bringing light to his lair. Then, after interrupting Felicia by biting her, Wrapsodi asks "What was that you just said? I don't think I heard it over the sound of my venom killing you-" and is then interrupted herself by a lightning bolt from Margaret.
- Upon being compared to Lindsay, Wrapsodi blows it off by saying "I don't get myself into situations I can't get myself out of." Sounds kinda similar to "I don't pick fights I can't win", doesn't it?
- Wrapsodi hops on the Ghetsis-paraphrasing bandwagon.
Sonic: Let's do it to it!
- While bearing down on Wrapsodi, Sonic reuses one of his old catchphrases:
- While bestowing mimicry of Garland on Entegra, Matt declares that it's knocking down time.
- While trying to comfort Rudy, Tori likens him to a "spoony bard".
- The location of Yoshi's Island as stated by Author!Luigifan is meant to correspond with where Lavalava Island is located on Paper Mario 64's world map. note
- The battle with the Color-Hating Koopas is Cassandra's first real chance to show off her newfound power of mimicry. She mimics Demyx to battle Arachise, and apparently Arachise didn't take down her water clones fast enough...
- Wrapsodi tells Annie to "GET IN MAH BELLAY!!!"
- After Annie swats Wrapsodi towards Lily, Tulip, and Rudy (twice), Tulip tells Wrapsodi "Touch me again and you lose your arm."
- Carnation notes that she has a very similar fighting style to Death lots of distracting projectiles that, while painful, are nothing compared to the damage she can inflict with her melee moves.
- Moshelle saves Flora from having her head bitten off by You'reDead by taunting the Color-Hating Koopa into coming after her instead. While provoking You'reDead, Moshelle uses a well-known line:
- Lily mentions that rain is painful to her. Luigifan and Artemis jump to the conclusion that it would make her melt like The Wicked Witch of the West.
- This exchange:Bowser: That is frellin' it, I'm off to kill Daisy and get that bloody mystical sphere so I can wipe out those blasted Dawns once and for all- *Bowser notices Luigi directing a death glare at him.*Mario: Mamamia...Luigifan: Really, Bowser? Really?Cassandra: This again?!?
- After a Call-Back to the roleplays' predecessor, Furry Fiasco, goes on for way too long, Boar drops a reference to This Very Wiki:
- Damien complains that Yoshi's Island isn't enough like Lord of the Flies.
- While shrugging off attacks from the Heroes' League in his X-Noizemaker, Lord Crump tells the heroes to "Cry some more!"
- After Boar angrily refutes Artemis's accusation of incestuous desires towards Tori, Mighty declares "But incest is wincest!" Luigifan, utterly shocked, accuses Mighty of visiting 4chan, and Mighty doesn't deny it. Luigifan's reply is "Be afraid. Be very afraid."
- When Entegra complains about prolific breeding, Luigifan mentions that Annie's parents had eight kids and they're not complaining. Annie bitterly reminds him that her parents are dead.
- What's not a Shout-Out is the similarities between Carnation and Lucina, as Luigifan wrote up the Yoshi's Island arc well before that game was announced. Thus, Carnation's role falls into Hilarious in Hindsight. The first Angel Island arc, on the other hand, was produced afterwards, which results in Matt attacking Wrapsodi's Nohtyp as Robin:Matt: Checkmate! *blasts Nohtyp in the face with an Ignis-boosted fireball*
- After Boar suggests the TV world as a way to get rid of Wrapsodi, this exchange occurs:Luigifan: Is it sad that I know exactly what you're talking about?Shadow: ...Luigifan: Basically, some murderer was throwing people into televisions and letting their own subconscious flaws kill them off. Also, mysterious fog. The guy who looked like the murderer was framed by some crooked detective. Oh, and it turned out that the whole thing was masterminded by a gas station attendant who was actually the Japanese deity Inzanami (sic) testing humanity.
- The scene where Annie gets shot down and rescued by Luigifan contains a few references to the lyrics of Boston's "Corporate America".
- Annie: *trying to rise to her feet after her Flygon's crash-landing* Ugh... gotta get away- *pinned by Manny's Salamence**after Luigifan yanks Manny back with his Chain Link, and is holding the Chaos Sword to Manny's throat*Luigifan: This bastard's had far too many chances to see the light!
- Tulip throws a rock at Manny Green, who has the same reaction as Super Sonic getting beaned by Scourge.Manny: Who threw that?
- Upon seeing Manny's Hydreigon, Luigifan and Forblaze briefly mistake it for being Ghetsis's specimen (even briefly discussing the endgame of Pokémon Black and White) before Manny himself comes into view.
- Luigifan references Drakengard after being muted by Dark Matt.Luigifan: All right, whose idea was it to put me into a pact with Angelus?
- After chopping a devourer's head in half, Luigifan makes a big deal out of the fact that he scored a Critical Hit on an undead. This is normally impossible in Dungeons & Dragons.
- Flora turns undead just like in Dungeons & Dragons.
- Luigifan tries to pass on a hint as to what Annie should name her daughter... by singing snippets of songs from Anastasia. Nobody else gets it. Except for Mysto.Luigifan: Have you heard? There's a rumor in St. Petersburg.Annie: *confused*Luigifan: Dancing bears, painted wings! Things I yearn to remember!
Disgaea: Wedding Bells
- When Cassandra mimics Flame Hyenard, she ends up devolving into Flame Hyenard's insanity, shouting "BURN! BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!" ad nauseum.
Drunk Driving with Tora
- Persephone's Weapon of Choice during her No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on Lily? Why, a whip, of course!
- When Cassandra first casts Tree of Restoration on Lindsay, Lindsay's response is "Phew! Thanks a bundle!"
- Luigifan once again references the Shout-Out that gave Luther his name. All together now: "ATTA BOY, LUTHER!!!!!"
Love at First Blindsight
- Matt mimics a Combot and makes similar robotic noises.
Pretty Fly for a... Fly
- After being swatted out of the sky by Andross, Annie crash-lands on the exact same skyscraper where Sonic the Werehog battled the first Dark Titan of "Skyscraper Scamper - Night". This is explicitly mentioned by the narration.
- Upon being stripped of what little sense he has by Nessie's voice, Collin blurts out "My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels".
- Cosmo advises against trying to "recruit from the enemy", saying that it "only works with medieval lords dealing with crazy dragon people."
- In this roleplay, Andross attacks Flora and Sonja with mutant tarantula-hawk wasps and abducts them, intending to have them eaten alive. Andross, being Andross, is implied to have genetically engineered the wasps to attack foxesnote , but the wasps are also much, much bigger than they should be big enough to actually pose a threat to a human-sized fox. How did they get that big, you may ask? Well, Andross got some help from Dr. Eggman, who was all too happy to test out his newly-developed Extractor machine.
- When the Heroes' League raids Andross's laboratory to save Flora and Sonja (and Lindsay, who also got stung in the interim), the Heroes' League notices the Extractor and considers destroying it. Eggman is horrified, pointing out that if the Extractor is destroyed, Bowser's Castle and everyone inside will be incinerated in a massive explosion. This is also why, during the events of Sonic Lost World proper, the Extractor has to be shut down by Eggman or Tails, as opposed to Sonic just smashing it.
- During the fight scene between Pommy and Regulus, a few lines from the latter's first appearance get thrown out.Pommy: To quote your boss, playtime is over!*some fighting occurs, in which Regulus gets smacked around*Regulus: Tch. I've underestimated you. Prepare to meet your fate.
- Andross battles the Heroes' League much like he fought Fox in Star Fox 64. This includes small details, like his angry groans upon being stunned (by being shot in the eyes, natch), as well as firing a bolt of lightning from his fingertips upon recovering.Andross: Gaaah! You fool!
- Matt has modified his Armored Core with an infinite-ammo headband.
- Luigifan points out Superman's little-known vulnerability to magic.note However, Cassandra's Superman mimicry is thwarted by his much more well-known (and more severe) vulnerability to kryptonite.
- As Randy panics over the danger Margaret has found herself in (e.g. the aforementioned fox-eating wasps), Charmy blurts out "To get through tight spaces, press the circle button to slide!"
- Luigifan calls Antasma (who Cassandra is currently mimicking) the lovechild of Dracula and Cackletta, to everyone else's horror. This is a reference both to Antasma's bat motif (or, more precisely, that he is a bat) and Vampire Vords tendencies, and his overall design being inspired by past Mario & Luigi antagonists, including Cackletta.
- Matt gets so freaked out by Andross trying to eat the Armored Core that he comes down with a case of the jibblies.
The meaning of a song
For tuna the can tolls
- Tori is in complete control over Matt because of her necromancy powers. One thing she forces Matt to become? Neco Arc Chaos.
- Later, he turns into Eren Jeager. His first turn is spent yelling about not having pants before "getting so pissed off I could put something in a chokehold".
- Luigifan name-drops the Fire Emblem recruitment theme:Luigifan: All right, everyone, it's time to fight! TOGETHER WE RIDE!!!!!!
- Knuckles is apparently still using the same kiai from Sonic Heroes. Complete with memetic Mondegreen.Julie-Su: You sound like you're swearing.
- Tails and Sonic's reaction to the Ant God going One-Winged Angel is taken from a quote on this very wiki's This Is Gonna Suck page; specifically Paper Mario X. There's also a minor reference to the script of Sonic Heroes.Tails: Sonic! What are we going to do?!?Sonic: ...We might actually be screwed.
- Flora also uses the line as Mysto explains how she's responsible for making the Ant God more dangerous than ever.
- Part of Tails's freakout after being zapped awake by Margaret is taken from "The Horror", a webcomic from the now-defunct Moogle Cavern which can currently be found on Deviant ART. Specifically, this strip. Compare to Tails's line:GKR34: THEY'RE COMING BACK, MOMMY... I've been a good boy, so why do the moogles bite so hard?Tails: Why does the lightning bite, Mommy?
- After knocking the Ant God unconscious (though he thinks he killed it), Luigifan's Bond One-Liner of choice is a brief quote paraphrased from Django Unchained:Luigifan: And that is the story of you!
- Mysto takes offense to being compared to Adolf Hitler, because Those Wacky Nazis were downright brutal to the Slavic people; indeed, they had planned to deal with them as soon as they were done with the Jews.
- Boar states he wasn't born from a peach when pointing out the obvious fact that, yes, he did have family members during the second World War. Likely a joke on how Momotaro was born.
- Flora finally comes up with a cute pet name for Phillip... Commando Gadget. Luigifan immediately lampshades it. (And by "lampshades it", we mean "collapses to the floor in helpless laughter while singing the Inspector Gadget theme song".)
- Matt and Tori quote the Blues Brothers at the beginning.
- The locations mentioned in the roleplay are all real places in Ireland. The roleplay is based on a vacation Author Luigifan took in Ireland, so all the locations are areas he visited, and he has the photos to prove it on his Deviant ART account.
- The subplot where Lindsay gets sent to the past and is nearly killed by Mayans is a homage to Apocalypto.
- Stands begin to play a crucial role in the plot of this roleplay, and the plot of the Stone Ocean arc is directly alluded to. It turns out that in this universe, Super Sonic killed Enrico Pucci shortly after he acquired Made in Heaven. Completely by accident.
- When the Heroes' League confronts him, Bling taunts them by saying "Welcome, Heroes' League! Welcome to die!"
Future: A shocking diary
Full moon, empty stomachs
- Matt Mokaray threatens Matthew Prower with "a repeat of the Catherine incident".
- Winter intermittently sings "Let it Go" while being rescued.
- When Memori starts tormenting Winter by claiming that she has a guilty conscience, Luigifan likens it to the scene in Drakengard where Manah drives Furiae to suicide.
- Later, as Memori starts trying to kill Winter and Damien [Astarte] directly, Luigifan starts chanting the mantra of the Cult of the Watchers in an effort to exorcise her.
- Damien Kane brings up Luigifan comparing him to Lelouch Lamperouge back in "Devin Bio".
- Blake attempts to use Knights of the Round... key word being "attempts".
- This also leads to Noah mentioning the events of Sonic and the Black Knight.
- One of the jokes Winter has heard a million times regarding her name is being referred to as "The Stark Prophecy".note She also mentions that she knows all of Mr. Freeze's memetic lines by heart.
- When the whole Heroes' League vows to step in to protect Sonja from Elan, Luigifan lampshades it by asking if the group can cut the endless "you have my sword" lines before they go on any longer than necessary.
- Luigifan proclaims "I have a cunning plan!" right before his Fastball Special to stop Lysander from killing Dream.
- The Maid remarks about how "no one remembers the names of trampled flowers", which is an English translation of a less famous line from the opening of Attack on Titan.
In your base, drinkin' your booze
- Flora's main objection to the combination of Tails's prosthetic wings and Reuben and Memori's weight-reduction potion for the sake of enabling flight is that "whoever wears the wings is going to fall to a clumsy, painful death when the potion's effects wear off."
- Drathilox and Lillian briefly get into a bout of Teleport Spam, which Luigifan compares to an episode of Dragon Ball Z.
- Kirby's first line in the roleplay.Kirby: Sorry to keep you waiting!
- The entire Rescue Arc was intended as an homage to Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, and it shows early on. (Later, not so much... until Justin and Snake-Jaw fight each other, that is.)
- Luigifan briefly goes insane while the heroes are lost in the Tropical Jungle and begins quoting pokecapn.Luigifan: All the bacon in the world couldn't save you now! 'Cause! It's a laser! It's a laser! It's a laser! It's a laser! It's a laser! It's a laser! It's a laser! It's a laser!
- The scene where Torch is rescued is a blatant reference to Maria's rescue in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Phillip proceeds to hang several lampshades on this.
- Mysta attacks Tora with "Terror Sign - Mind Twister", and it backfires on him. His response should sound familiar to anyone who's read the quotes for the Oh, Crap! trope.
- Garcia makes an offhanded mention of the legacy of Blaze at one point.
- When Yuga makes his appearance, he re-quotes several of his lines from his original game.
- When Mysta makes it look like he's killed Ne, this exchange occurs:Anastasia: ._.; Oh my God, he killed Ne!Winter: That bastard!!!!
- Having the Queen Ant from Brave Fencer Musashi show up is one thing, but what happens when it's defeated directly mirrors the end of the boss fight in the aforementioned game. Up to and including Justin taking its core.
- Miriam claims that she's investigating reports of Torch's death because she believes that they're greatly exaggerated.
- Ne blurts out "Rosebud" while faking his death for the lulz.
- Cuhalleigh the kelpie is the same kelpie that is fought as a boss in Drakengard 2.
- There's a Shout-Out to Home Alone slipped into Mysta's Motive Rant. Imagine the following line said in a Joe Pesci-esque voice:note Mysta: Ever since I saw the Firecat Kingdom as a boy, I wanted it.
- Mysta's final (normal) Spell Card, "Majora Sign - Lunar Impact", is an incredibly blatant shout-out to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. His Last Word, "Dusk of the Third Day - Lunarian Fury", is an even more blatant shout-out.
- Luigifan tells Phillip and Flora "Congratulations on getting the best ending!", a dual reference to the Multiple Endings of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance.
- This exchange:
- Uma, being very mad at Matthew, yells out "You lose! Good day, pervert!" and "I said good day, pervert!", almost like Willy Wonka did at the end of the original 1971 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory film, though edited to suit Uma's inability to even call Matthew a "sir".
- Leila uses a ventriloquism device to make it appear that Matthew is trying to serenade Uma with a performance of 'Two Fine People'.
- When Uma completely snaps at Matthew, she paraphrases AM while ranting at him.If every cell in my body had the word "hate" written on it 100 times, it would measure only a fraction of the hate I feel towards you!
- Yet another Shout-Out to Home Alone occurs when Janine is cussing out Uma over hurting Matthew's feelings:
Blindly fooling thyself
- When Collin begins using his intangibility powers to dodge Snake-Jaw's attacks even the ones that he shouldn't see coming Snake-Jaw flips out and screams "PEOPLE DIE WHEN THEY ARE KILLED!!!"
- This Hurricane of Euphemisms-laden post is directly inspired by the "common clay, salt of the earth... you know... morons" scene from Blazing Saddles.
- This exchange, regarding Torch's inflated view of Sky's "courage":Torch: Huh? But Sky's so brave, and strong, and adorable... He's saved my life twice now... How can I not be in love with him? *holds Sky closer and cuddles with him*Justin: You got two out of three right.Lydia: Justin!!! You're being too harsh!!!Torch: Huh? You're saying he's not cute?!?Sunlight: He has demonstrated great valor for my sister's sake... though I can see how he could be considered homely...Justin: *facepalm* Argh, you're clueless! You're both clueless!!!!Dandelion: This is gonna end in tears...Mighty: At least it's not beautiful firebird babies-Torch: *glares at Mighty, then returns to cuddling with Sky*Muffy: ^^; Uh...Justin: I'm gonna tell her...Lydia: Don't you dare!Torch: Oh, Sky, you're my hero... *smooch*Justin: Someone's gotta tell her...
- Regarding Necrodeus's defeat and likelihood of attacking Priscilla again, Kirby has this to say:
- The later scenes of the roleplay make blatant references to the plot of Kirby: Planet Robobot.
Sneaky Little Rat
- During the addendum detailing the disintegration of Leila and Nikolai's relationship, Leila explicitly compares Nikolai to Hans, as well as stating that the experience "may just ruin me for ever trusting a Slav again".
Artemis Bio F
May the odds not be in your favor
- Author Luigifan's "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer regarding the myth of Jarilo and Marzanna is more or less lifted from the (in)famous South Park episode "Trapped in the Closet".This is what Slavic pagans actually believed.
- Dream tells Rebecca to "geeeeeeeetttttttt dunked on!!!!!!!!!!" right before swatting her towards the Maid.
Inu and Uma Bio
- Diego makes a passing mention of the recoil of a sniper rifle, referencing a famous quote from an American sniper.
- Trapestry's boast that she will achieve "Complete! Economic! Domination!" is a reference to Albert Wesker's "Complete. Global. Saturation!" line.
- The maid uses a comically oversized tiki mask to scare Sky, just like Eustace Baggs.
- Janine's "I died because I was dumb" line is a reference to one of Space Quest's myriad death quotes.
- Luigifan briefly sings 'Two Fine People' as Matthew rushes to Uma's rescue.
- "Dad told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
- While trying to tweak the Mokarays' emotions to make them apologize to Matthew, Katelyn goes through a lot of undesired results. As she does so, she says "No... no... no... no... GOOD GOD, NO!"
- "Wait, scratch that thing I just said".
- Luigifan reuses the "I have a cunning plan" line, to Dream's immense discomfort.
- Artemis says that the dream world has also been called Magicant and Wonderland.
- It is mentioned that if Matthew had overheard Justin talking about Cashmere scheming to kill Uma, he would be furious... outraged... sick with anger!
- Mysta taunts Sky with the "Welcome to die" line when the heroes confront him.
- Shortly afterwards, after he takes Ivy's soul, he asks her "Would you kindly exterminate Sky?"
- Tori summons Ryukotsuki, final boss of Getsu Fuma Den, and later Spinal from Killer Instinct.
- After Mordred makes several death threats against Ne, Cassandra drags him away, telling him that "We'll have to discuss your... tactics in private."
- While Matthew is protecting Torch, she lampshades that he wanted her dead at the beginning of the roleplay. In response, he tells her "Circumstances have changed", directly quoting her father.
- When Mysta exclaims that he has to kill Torch and Sunlight to make his dream come true, Matthew bluntly tells him, "Your dream sucks."
- Mildred uses Garland's Tsunami attack. It doesn't work, but that's what she planned.
- Ivy mentions a "Carrot guy from that one webcomic" while Sky claims that he isn't cut out be a knight.
- Which is Hilarious in Hindsight as Carrot gets an upgrade around the time of this post.
- Luigifan and Mysta make explicit references to the plot of Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom; it turns out that Mysta is using the events of that game to justify his actions. (Sunlight then considers using fairies as a weapon against Mysta, but Luigifan and Phillip shoot him down.)
Freddie Fun Fest
- The animatronics, Springtrap, and the Puppet use their respective jumpscare screams over the course of the roleplay.
- When the animatronics reveal that they can actually talk, they directly discuss some actual plot elements from the Five Nights at Freddy's games, including the Purple Man having previously dismantled the animatronics before getting killed as a result of the ghosts of the children he murdered herding him into Springtrap.
- Springtrap blurts out "FOUND YOU!!!" upon locating Harry and Leila in the restaurant, much like Albert Wesker does during his first boss fight in Resident Evil 5.
- Right before Freddy and the other animatronics jump Springtrap, Freddy sings the refrain of "Jaws" by Aviators.Freddy: I'm not the crazed killer you think I am! I'm just here ready to see vengeance through! Hatred, bloodlust, they're all irrelevant to the moment when my jaws close down on you!
- Shortly after the Purple Man emerges from the Springtrap suit, he sings the refrain of "I'm The Purple Guy" by DAGames to taunt the heroes. Some time later, after he's made an attempt on Priscilla's life only to be thwarted by Dream, he commends her and the others as Worthy Opponents and declares "Our little horror story's just begun!"
- I did it. I saved the world.
- Bonus points for the spell Priscilla used Megidolaon, a.k.a. the "Fuck you, time to do 10.001 times your max health to the entire party" spell.
Scaredy Fox Training
- Ne yells out "Stop assaulting my worm with minds!" at one point.
- It is repeatedly mentioned that if Miriam kills King mogeko, she may wind up possessed by Lord Prosciutto. This is precisely what happens to Yonaka in the normal ending of Mogeko Castle.
- Leila continues comparing Nikolai to Hans.
- As Momoko eludes the Mogekos, King mogeko irritatedly remarks that this is turning out "just like last time".
- The many bad endings of Mogeko Castle are referenced over the course of the roleplay.
- Bad Ending #0, Everlasting Dream, is clearly referenced when a Mogeko says that "Soon we shall share a fun, fun, everlasting dream on our wedding night".
- Bad Ending #1 is alluded to when Ryu stares at a Mad Mogeko in the dark hallway and begins contemplating who he is (only to end up simply deciding, he is himself).
- Bad Ending #2 happens when Momoko picks the wrong room to hide from Moge-ko in and winds up swarmed by Mogeko Larvae. It is also the first one referenced.
- Bad Ending #3 is caused by Mickey unleashing the Mad Mogeko in an attempt to murder Amelia, though it backfires horribly.
- Bad Ending #4 is referenced when Moge-ko doesn't deny Miriam's claim that she was planning to rape Ne.
- Bad Ending #5 is referenced when Randy has to yank Maxmillian away from touching a Blancfluff Mogeparasite.
- Bad Ending? #6 is given a vague nod by Damien up and proposing to Dream with almost no warning.
- Bad Ending #7 is given a direct allusion to by Ne attacking Miriam under a fit of insanity.
- When Artemis begins sucking the Mogeko "welcoming" party into her shadow, one of them cries out "She's stealing them! And then she's going to steal me! OH MY PROSCIUTTOOO-" before being cut off as Artemis captures him as well.
- When Miriam rescues Mogecuckoo and begins to help him reach the sixth floor, Matt states that he "immediately regrets this decision".
- Matt mimics Dio at one point to assault Miriam with knives... more precisely, butter knives.
- At one point, Miriam declares "King mogeko... I will find you, and I will kill you."
- Moge-ko yells "Murder Time Fun Time" while dropping from the ceiling.
- Luigifan re-uses the Django Unchained reference as he and Miriam flatten Moge-ko with the elevator. It's also Luigifan's first "cunning plan" to actually be cunning.Luigifan: And that will be the story of you!
- Once Luigifan tells Dream just how attractive Damien considers her to be, she is extremely giddy... a little too giddy...
- The necrophiliac tendencies of the Mogekos get brought up once again.
- Moge-ko is in a foul mood after being beaten up by Matt and Miriam...Moge-ko: Gonna kill you and kick you and-
- Torch pisses Matthew off so much that he initially has trouble coming up with a retort other than "MATTHEW SMASH!"
- Matt: WHAT THE *** YOU SAY ABOUT MY DAUGHTER?
- Matt's lines as the Hundred Knight are gibberish meant to sound like the noises the Hundred Knight makes during gameplay.
- Miriam getting knocked out as Samus automatically removes her Power Suit, leaving her as Zero Suit Samus. This is similar to Metroid: Other M, where it was revealed that Samus' Power Suit would be forcefully removed should she get knocked out.
- "Stop right there criminal scum!"
- King mogeko is stated to be able to touch a high school girl everywhere at once.
- Myla has learned over time that the only way to defeat a curse is to burn it.
- BILL's two cents on Saru's rage towards Matt:BILL: "Diagnosis... Puberty".
- Sky's opinion on the subject of the Mokary household having a poltergeist is exactly the same as Ragna's.Sky: Ghosts! Ah!
- Damien, upon finding a picture of Dream's buttocks in a book from the Mogeko Library, claims that a painting of her butt would be more artistic. Perhaps he should commission Waluigi.
- Vaati kidnaps Ivy for pretty much the exact same reason that he kidnapped Princess Zelda in his debut.
- Sonic wields Caliburn to take Vaati on, and Flora openly wonders if he's abducted Amy Rose. This is an In-Joke to a Flash animation that Luigifan has been trying to get someone to make for years.
- Damien asks Troy if she's a bad enough vigilante to take on Vaati.
- The Maid states that refusal will be met with a slap and being asked again.
- Nessie quotes the Major. The Abridged Major.Nessie: Eloria. Calm the calamity. That is. Your Mammaries.
- When Miriam explains how she survived the Light Demons' attack, she mentions that she suddenly "felt strength welling up in my body, ready to meet any challenge".
- As Mordred and Tori resolve their recent issues peacefully (though Tori was kind of being a jerk about it), Flumpty appears as an antagonist.
- Arthur and Collin explain their "interactions" with him, with Collin's story focusing on the sequel. While on the subject, he also mentions that he'd rather be in "some kind of killing game with a deranged bear robot" than deal with Flumpty a second time.
- Ne takes advantage of Flumpty being a dimensional being to gain help from the souls of Flumpty's victims. To hammer it home, the accompanying music is "Finale", the music that plays when the souls God Flowey stole start rebelling against him. It later changes to Hopes & Dreams/SAVE the World when Ne gets enough souls on his side.
- Matt makes an ironically nihilistic version of Sans' genocide run speech.
- Cassandra mimics Sans to help wipe out Flumpty, using the same attacks Sans does in the boss fight with him in the Genocide route. She even uses the same "birds are singing, sun is shining" speech (despite it not really being appropriate in the wake of the mess Vaati just made, which she lampshades herself) and tells Flumpty that he's going to have a bad time.
- After Flumpty apparently kills Ne, Miriam is so pissed off that she mimics Photoshop Flowey, at full strengthnote . Yes. Seriously. It results in exactly what you'd expect.
Growing Pains in the Neck
- While Bowser Jr. is trying to decide how he's going to kill Leila, he refers to the choice as "a delightful dilemma".
- Rosa calls Momoko's breasts a "sacred gift".
- Annie complains about Matt's "chronic and sustained cruelty" as he slaughters several Koopa Troopas (one of whom begs "Please take that thing out of my ass!" right before his ass explodes).
- Matt also yells out Reaper's infamous "Die! Die! Die!" line while doing so.
- Artemis calls Corneria the "Queen Bitch of the Universe".
- Leila compares Nikolai to Prince Hans yet again.
- Luigifan sings brief snippets of "Fixer Upper" while Leila and Nikolai argue (and Dream, Damien, and Artemis are trying to get them to reconcile). However, he fails to change the lyrics of the song to fit the new context, and Hilarity Ensues.
- While trying to get Leila and Nikolai together, Artemis gets frustrated enough to blurt out "YOU WILL MARRY THE IMBECILIC ONE, CHILD OF FLESH."
- Artemis later points out that she doesn't follow normal laws of matter to the Maid and comments "I don't understand how you keep forgetting that".
Scaredy fox training 2
- Darin beseeches Miledy to "stay determined" after she's injured by Moge-ko.
- After having a close call, Miriam repeatedly tells Sean "I'm glad... I'm glad you're okay, Sean...", just like Yonaka does to Shinya in one of Mogeko Castle's flashback sequences.
- Matt claims that there was a one billionth percent chance that Moge-ko could have given him a heart attack, and therefore, whatever he does next is justified self defense.
- The split branches contain a few different Shout Outs:
- "Having a bad time" is frequently mentioned.
- In the Astarte Branch's Damien Route, after Lysander pisses Damien off enough to get him to bust loose from his trap by graphically threatening to bind, rape, and murder Dream (while Damien will be Forced to Watch), Dream tells Lysander, "You really are an idiot" right before Damien pounces on him and begins beating the everloving hell out of him. note
- In the Astarte Branch's Artemis Route, Artemis announces her arrival at Lysander's lair by tampering with the power, causing the lights to go off. Author!Luigifan notes that all we need is the Toreador March to complete the picture of how utterly screwed Lysander is. Once Artemis actually attacks, the scene cuts out in classic horror game fashion. Dark Matt then proceeds to pull a variant of Flowey's signature ring of bullets on Natascha, only being stopped by Artemis requesting that she be on the scene when Natascha is finished off.
Important Character Update
- The pilot of the jet plane Viv hijacked is the very same Pilot from Enter the Gungeon.
- Three of the titles that appear later in the roleplay are "Prince Charmless", "I need healing", and "Legendary Fart Master".
- Miriam tells Viv at one point that "If what you say is true, I will respectfully accept my fate..."
- Viv's breakdown is punctuated by "NO ONE STOPS!!!!", much like Popola from Nier.
- When asked how a Seedrian can even go on a diet, Ivy's response includes "Hard work and Determination".
- While berating Viv for trying to kill her, Miriam points out how "you and Ne - but mostly Ne" were ultimately responsible for defeating Flumpty Bumpty back in "Flight Formation".
Ophelia Memories 1