- Tree really likes to use clips from The Simpsons. One notable Running Gag has him reacting to particularly stupid management decisions with the laughing TV anchor from the Season 5 episode "Deep Space Homer".
- Another Simpsons reference comes in "The Hater's Guide to the 2019 Stanley Cup Final"; after his run-through of the Tampa Bay Lightning's infamous collapse (which consisted of Tree reading the Lightning's equally infamous Twitter post coming off of their series defeat in a deadpan voice while hysterical laughter plays in the background), it cuts away to a TV screen showing "My sides died while returning to their home planet"
- Tree also likes making video game references, as a nod to his past as a video game reviewer:
- He has used music from several different games in his videos, including Cuphead, Dark Souls, F-Zero GX, Halo 3: ODST, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Rome: Total War, DOOM 2016, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. He also occasionally overlays video game sound effects on top of sports footage.
- Go ahead and try finding one of his videos that doesn't have a sound effect from the iconic Super Mario Bros. franchise, particularly the "Mario hitting head on unbreakable block", "Coin", and "1-up" sound effects from the original game (less often, the "Yoshi spitting out a Koopa shell" sound effect from Super Mario World). You'd be hard-pressed to do so.
- He makes frequent use of "Conglaturation!" to celebrate especially bad Epic Failures; while dubious "victories", such as champion of the offseason, are met with the infamous YOU'RE WINNER ! trophy. Both of these are also direct references to his old reviews.
- Embarrassing displays of incompetence by teams are sometimes accompanied by the advisor from Total War: Shogun 2 yelling "Shameful Display!". The seppuku cutscene from the same game was used in "Congrats, Rangers!" (With New York Rangers and Ottawa Senators logos superimposed over the faces of the victim and executioner, respectively), which marked the first use of the sound byte.
- Tree frequently uses The Engineer's "Nope" for quick nos.
- Occasionally, when something goes awry at the end of a sporting event, he would play the Age of Empires II taunt "You played two hours to die like this?"
- Georgia Sports: The Definition of Insanity uses Vaas' speech on the definition of insanity over a montage of Georgia teams choking. A quick snippet of the speech also pops up in "Congrats, Falcons! (2018 Edition)".
- "The Washington Capitals: A Legacy of Failure" concludes with "Party Hard" (which is used as the goal song for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Tree's hometown NHL team) and Tidus' laugh.
- Tree "celebrates" the Cleveland Browns' 0-16 record in 2017-18 by playing Guile's Theme over footage of Coruscant celebrating the fall of the Empire.
- Key players who go down with injury are marked by a clip of the interface announcer from Command & Conquer going "unit lost", along with a Sickening "Crunch!". Really bad examples may also use Pat Summerall saying "Oh no! There's a man down!" in Madden NFL.
- "The Los Angeles Chargers: Professional Football's Diamond Dogs" is chock-full of references to Metal Gear, portraying the players on the Chargers as everything from Genome soldiers with regressive genes all the way up to the Diamond Dogs as soldiers without a border.
- Big leads that end up pissed away are accompanied by Billy Madison's despondent yell of "YOU BLEW IT!!!" Really bad examples may add Robert De Niro as Moe Tilden in Cop Land shouting "[I gave you a chance to be a cop and] You blew it!" and/or Mr. Kincade from the South Park episode "Guitar Queer-o" yelling "You blew it! You had it all and you blew it!"
- The music he plays in the background of his videos are production music from The Ren & Stimpy Shownote and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and is played as Soundtrack Dissonance a la numerous badfic and dramatic reading videos on YouTube.
- "Congrats, Indians!" naturally features "Indians". The infamous 1971 Keep America Beautiful commercial also makes an appearance.
- "Congrats, Nationals!" has the Washington Nationals stuck in a "Groundhog Day" Loop where they constantly lose in the National League Division Series, complete with Phil Connors' alarm clock going off at 6 am to the sound of Sonny & Cher's "I Got You Babe". He then uses the same clip in "This Week In Sportsball: NFL Week 11" as the Washington Redskins blow a 15-point lead against the Saints with less than three minutes left in regulation then lose in overtime.
- In "The Haters' Guide to the 2017/18 NBA Season", Tree says the Pistons are "so fucked they couldn't even buy it for a dollar."
- "Congrats, USMNT!" uses a clip from D2: The Mighty Ducks of Trinidad's fans celebrating.
- In The Baltimore Orioles: Professional Baseball's Avian Flu, the conga line from Baseball Bugs was used when Tree starts going over the O's pitching corps.
- The Washington Nationals: A Legacy of Failure uses the famous "GAME OVER, YEAH!" to punctuate the Expos mid-season collapse in 1989. Tree also refers to the 1994 baseball players' strike, which prevented the Expos from going to the World Series in a year they were favored to win, as "The Montreal Screwjob."
Shout Out / Urinating Tree