A list of Shout-Outs made throughout the Trolls franchise.
- Trollzart's name is clearly a pun between "Mozart" and "Troll". Adding to that is his official full name, "Wolfgang Amadeus Trollzart".
- King Trollex's name is likely another pun with Skrillex.
- Hickory and Dickory's names are a reference to the nursery rhyme Hickory Dickory Dock.
- Bridget's makeover as "Lady Glittersparkles" is a notable Cinderella Circumstances example, even down to the lost rollerskate as a Glass Slipper.
- Gwen Stefani's and Justin Timberlake's "Hair Up" is a remixed version of Edvard Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from Peer Gynt, which is meaningful due to the fact that Grieg's hometown is Bergen, Norway. (It's also played during a scene in which the hero escapes from a vengeful troll king; here, it's played during the introduction of the Bergen king, which is followed shortly by an escape from his city.)
- There are several nods back to DreamWorks' previous film Madagascar, like the bigger-fish sequence and Poppy's trek through bizarrely contrasting environments.
- The adult Gristle Jr. is introduced riding a tricycle down a hallway.
- During Gristle and Bridget's date at the pizzeria, a Pac-Man machine can be heard in the background.
- Chef's line "He who controls the Trolls controls the kingdom" resembles the Arc Words from Dune ("He who controls spice controls the universe.")
- In Branch's flashbacks, he accidentally knocks a deceased Troll's body out of its casket at a funeral, much like what happened in the infamous "Lost Scene" in Clerks.
- There's a song that didn't make it onto the soundtrack, featuring the Bergens being introduced to "Clint Eastwood".
- The opening of the "Crazy Train" scene is a reference to the chase scene from Mad Max.
- The disguises that the Snack Pack use to infiltrate the Rock Trolls make a number of Rock 'n' Roll references:
- Biggie and Mr. Dinkles' are meant to be similar to Elvis Presley. In Biggie's case, his outfit also has a notable resemblance to the Trash Can Trolls (a spin-off card series to Garbage Pail Kids based on the Troll dolls that ran in the 1990s) card "Performin' Norman/Bob Slob".
- Satin & Chenille and Smidge's are based on characters from Grease (the cheerleaders and Jan, respectively).
- Guy Diamond's is likely based on Buddy Holly.
- Tiny Diamond dresses as a T-bird/"Greaser".
- Legsly's is made to look like the outfits of the dancers from Jailhouse Rock.
- In the Tourist Map video, Ozzy Osbourne's nickname of "the Prince of Darkness" is referenced when Cloud Guy calls Barb "the Queen of Darkness".
Shorts, TV series and specialsTrolls: The Beat Goes On!
has its own page
has its own page