- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz got a surprisingly clever Whole Plot Reference as "The Motr of Doov" in Adventure comics 394 (June 1970) with Supergirl and her cat Streaky (making his final appearance). Reviewing this issue at Maid of Might, the anonymous critic says:This could so easily have been another throw-away gimmick story; just a transparent rip-off. But instead the readers are treated to an imaginative reinterpretation transformative, even that cleverly references its source and pays it due respect. A Supergirl makeover was in the offing, but this story is a clever, if somewhat quirky, way of leaving this section of Karas adventures on a high.
- The Supergirl story in Adventure Comics issue #420 is titled after the poem "And death shall have no dominion", written by Welsh poet Dylan Thomas. That's why the credit box includes a mention to Thomas.
- In Superman Family #183, Supergirl quotes Isaac Newton:Supergirl: Luck had nothing to do with it, Shyla... I knew you couldn't control your flying ability yet, so I let you get in that last punch... Then I used Newton's Law of Motion— for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction— It forced you back into the Projector's ray!
- The main antagonist in Peter David's run is Buzz, also known as Mr. Aldrin, a reference to the astronaut Edwin Eugene "Buzz" Aldrin, one of the tripulants of Apollo 11 mission, and the second man to walk on the moon.
- In Supergirl (2005) story arc "Girl Power", Kara quotes For the Man Who Has Everything when she tells Luthor:Supergirl: Burn.
Shout Out / Supergirl