Sonic World Adventure Rush has numerous shout outs to various corners of the Sonic universe. Here is a concise list with cross references where need be.
Main List of Shout Outs:
- Captain Westwood, in the comics he was taken from, was heavily modeled after Albert Wesker of Resident Evil fame, so much so, he became a traitor to all parties involved at some point. These traits carry over into the story.
- Most of their junk food derived from the characters Improbable Food Budget has humorous names that reference the far corners of the Sonic universe. Products include:
- Pingas Potato Crisps
- Colours Fruit Snax
- Chaos Soda and Chaos Cola become replacements for the Speed Cola item.
- Mean Beans Jellybeans
- Warpnik-O's Cereal
- Not to mention most of the food items from Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight
- Chip's Chocolate
- Not to mention the alcoholic drink Double Jigger. Which means two different things while simultaneously being a shout out to the boost drinks in Nazi Zombies.
- Aside from Chaos Cola, Chaos Soda, and Double Jigger, the other boost drinks are given a shout out too in the form of a real alcoholic drink, real vile grapefruit flavored soda, and a real energy drink. Of course this is all inspired by the original Adventure Gamebook idea where the characters of the story had various powerups ala Sonic Chronicles.
- The sheer amount of real life food product are ripe for the pickings too, yes, including the infamous horribly deformed ice cream (which Sonic is disgusted by).
In Sonic the Hedgehog's Story:
- Tails keeps all his gadgets from Tails Adventure within a gym bag he scored from Beijing.
- Now that Roger Craig Smith is the voice of Sonic, and Captain Westwood is heavily inspired by Albert Wesker, chances are, the dialogue between the two will include a few Resident Evil 5 quotes.
- Tails sees a Double Rainbow over Aqua Lake
- Tails thinks over his past, which is a Wild Mass Guessing about his true position in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the Tails Alone mode of said game, and even Tails and the Music Maker.
- When Knuckles confronts Li Yan, he finds that while he is a crime boss himself, he answers to a higher authority, who also supplies some of his gang.
In Shadow the Hedgehog's Story:
- Agent Topaz, a character from Sonic X and the tie in comics, wore a police uniform that resembled the ones worn by those in Virtua Cop.
- She even says she joined the VCPD because she was inspired by her father, who was a brave firefighter
- Several of the files stolen by the mystery hacker are Metarex Technology, Drakon Technology, Project DURAL, and Artificial Chaos technology.
- The Commander mentions Wiki Leaks.
In Silver the Hedgehog's Story:
- While taking in the sights of Empire City, this exchange occurs:
- Chip: Look! It's the Statue of Happiness!Silver: You mean Statue of Liberty, Chip.
- When Silver asks Ashura why Blaze didn't come back after the events that led to her sacrifice were erased, his reply was "...poor writing on the universe's part.".
- While writing Ashura's dialogue, the author realized he was subconsciously writing him as the Tenth Doctor, despite not watching much of the show at all. In a case of self Ascended Meme, it stuck and wound up handing out Lampshades to everyone.
- An Empire City coffee shop is named City Perk
In Blaze the Cat's Story:
In Jet the Hawk's Story:
In Wave the Swallow's Story:
- Morgan laFey (portrayed by Shade the Echidna), raises the remains of the true King Arthur (Sonic). The whole thing, down to the line "Rise from your gave" is a big shout out to the Genesis classic Altered Beast.
- When Arthur is turned into the Ilwolf, a Dungeons & Dragons inspired party goes after him. They should be familiar to anyone who played any Golden Axe game.
- Nack the Weasel is known by his Japanese name Fang, and acts as a thief/rogue type. His competition in claiming the reward on slaying the Ilwolf? Ever play Popful Mail?
In Nack The Weasel's Story:
- Nack remarks that he wasn't going to kill Bean's brothers Bin and Pin. Those two originated in Dynamite Dux. Bean was designed for Sonic the Fighters explicitly as a reference to this game, as they were both made by Sega's AM 2 arcade division. Bean's alternate costume is Bin!
- Nack and Bark are disturbed by Bean's love of KFC. Considering they were a blatant Product Placement in Dynamite Dux in the arcade, perhaps the craving runs in the family?
In The Brotherhood Of Metallix Story:
- The concept of Metal Sonic (called by his Japanese name Mecha Sonic in the story) fighting Mephiles the Dark came about long before it was discovered that Metal Sonic had his own mission set planned for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)! Which leads to a case of Hilarious in Hindsight.