- Between the first game and the sequel, there are Expies or references to: Kirby and Pac-Man (Dotcom), Tamagotchi (Crowle's Oyajitchi-like design), The Karate Kid, Jackie Chan, and Johnny Cage in one line (Ralph, Chan, and Luke); the "Monkeys-In-A-Barrel Game" (Chimp), Voltron (Voltone), Mega Man (Classic) (the Gigapon/Micro and Negapon line, which is explained fully in the Shout-Out entry below), Niteboat from The Simpsons, Gundam (Gundarn), The Tick (2001) (El Seed), Fantasia (Hippon), Doraemon (Doraepon), Speed Racer (Mock V), Kamen Rider (Rider1, RiderV and Super-1) and finally a double reference to both Cho Bits and MegaTokyo with a Robopon Expy of Chi named "Ping".
- There are shout outs to Mega Man (Classic) in all 3 forms of Gigapon. The text for Gigapon describes him as having a strong sense of justice; his evolution, Protopon, has a sword and shield, like Zero and Proto Man; the third form, Soul, is described as the spirit of justice who fights for never-ending peace. All three robots look similar to Mega Man; Soul even has a jewel on his forehead. There's another reference in Negapon, an Expy of Bass. His later evolutions resemble Slash Man from 7, as well. Clearly, someone from Red Entertainment was a Capcom fan.
- An NPC says "All your vegetables are belong to me!" His wife apologizes for his poor grammar.
- These movie references:Maskman: I could've been a ContendR...
- Brutal calls you a spoony clown, and says he would've succeeded in his kappa-taming plan if it weren't for you meddling kid!
- There's a shout out to Speed Racer in the Robopon Racer and its evolution, Mock V. Also its Evil Counterpart, DriverX.
- Two shout outs to Cowboy Bebop with Jett and Spiky. Spiky even says "...Bang." after you beat him.
- The first tower of Garden Pond is full of unique trainers and references. One of them is a skinny man named Jagg, using sentences like "life goes around and around" and "a rolling stone gather no moss".
- One to Gundam with the family-friendly Gundarn.
- Dr. Zero's floating fortress of doom, the Death Gaia, bears a resemblance to one of Dr. Wily's castles.
- At a costume convention, you meet a man dressed as a convict, he claims to be a character from a fighting game.
- Ralph's description says he is a "a fighter who travels the world searching for new enemies to fight" and Luke being suspiciously similar to Ryu.
- The only overt Pokemon reference comes in the form of a Gateball, which captures cute monsters that can only be seen with a special scope.
- One kid says "Gotta scrap them all!"
Shout Out / Robopon