- The entire mission of the game is called "Operation Alien Overlord".
- The Rousing Speech in the manual ends with this fragment:
- If you watch the intro carefully, you can see a reference to Aliens.
- On the commentary for the Parasite in the manual:
"The Parasite makes Cujo look like Lassie on Prozac."
- Swimming in the waters of the level "Main Gate", from the Jail unit, triggers the swimming sound from Duke Nukem 3D.
- The level "Cooling Facility" contains a secret room, revealed after all of the unit's objectives are achieved, featuring the Dopefish. The message it displays ("Design Is Law") is also a reference to John Romero's Ion Storm studio.
- The id Software Memorabilia Room in the "Upper Palace" level features a poster of Doom.
- It comes to no surprise then that, in order to reach these areas, the players must use an Environment Suit, the equivalent to Doom's Radiation Shielding Suit.
- The Super Shotgun appears to have been inspired by the NeoStead 2000.
- The Railgun leaves a corkscrewing trail through the air exactly like those in the film Eraser
- One of the enemies is called Iron Maiden.
- Another enemy is called Icarus.
- Ground Zero introduces an improved version with extra health and a Power Shield called Daedalus.
- A crashed drop pod in the "Outer Compound" level of The Reckoning is called Rampage, for the biggest game Xatrix Entertainment did up to that pointnote .
- At the end of the "Industrial Facility" level, at the exit that leads to the "Refinery" level, there's a secret invulnerabilty which can only be accessed through rocketjumping and will vanish as the player reaches for it with the message "No prize for you, Rocketman".
- Multiplayer level XDM3 is called "Reservoir Stroggs".
- Ground Zero:
- The Tesla item is named after Nikola Tesla.
- The Mid Boss of Ground Zero is an improved version of the Hornet with the added capability to summon Flyers. Its name? The Carrier.note
- Multiplayer map RDM5 is named "Stone Hinge", a pun on landmark Stonehenge.
- Multiplayer map RDM8 is named "Styx and Stones", a pun combining both River Styx and the idiom "Sticks and stones".
- Multiplayer map RDM11 is named "Dish It Out", after the "dish it out or take it" idiom.
- Multiplayer map RDM12 is named "Fall from Grace", after the namesake idiom.
- Multiplayer-only item Doppelganger creates a stationary decoy like the Holoduke.
See also the Mythology Gag page
for the Id shout-outs.
- The Grenade Launcher icon is modelled after the M67 frag grenade.
- Anarki's voicelines:
- Angel, when killed by a Railgun, drops this one:
- Biker seems to be modeled after "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.
- Bitterman's face bears a resemblance to the face of Bruce Willis.
- Bones's voicelines:
"Is my brother Skully still hangin' around in the training level?"
- Daemia has been described as a mix of Boba Fett and Philip Marlowe.
"Caramba! I've just enrolled in the WILE E. School of Stupidity."
- Mynx's bio states that she is a cross between Barb Wire and Trinity.
- Tank Jr has these chatlines:
- After he dies because of falling damage:
- The first level from Tier 5, "Lost World", has a section of torn flesh held by metal bars in its ceiling, revealing a fanged mouth. The whole thing resembles the infamous Goatse Shock Site.
- The second level from Tier 5, "Grim Dungeons", has a statue of Jesus with his crown of thorns.
- The second level from Tier 6 is called "The Longest Yard".
- The fourth level from Tier 6, "Apocalypse Void", has Murray in one of the sides of one of the platforms. The egg is also present on "The Bouncy Map". It's absent in Live, though.
- The final single-player level, "The Very End of You", is named after a line from "We're In This Together" by Nine Inch Nails.
- The map "The House Of Decay" from Team Arena was rechristened as "Blue Monday" in both the Dreamcast version and Live.
- Live includes Domination as a gamemode.
- The achievement for knocking down enemies in Quake Arena Arcade is called "This Is Stroggos!"
- The description for the map "Gantry" in the campaign of Quake Arena Arcade is [[Film/Aliens "In space, everyone can hear you scream."]]
to Quake II
is a Continuity Nod
- The Blaster can fire either single, extremely weak shots or more powerful charged shots in a manner similar to the Plasma Pistol or the Dispersion Pistol.
- Whenever you draw the weapon, the sound it makes is similar to the Glock-18.
- The game's version of the Lightning Gun is probably based on the design of the Tesla Gun; furthermore, an upgrade allows it to inflict chain damage.
- An upgrade for the Rocket Launcher allows it to direct missiles by using a laser and fire up to three rockets at the same time.
- The grunt may be a reference to Bane, as he uses an experimental steroid to greatly increase his strength and stamina.
- Like in II, the only female enemy of the game is called "Iron Maiden".
- The four ships transporting the EMP Bomb in Operation: Advantage are called War, Pestilence, Famine and Death. It goes as well as it sounds.
- The appearance of post-Stroggification Kane bears a striking resemblance to Alex Murphy/RoboCop.
- In one of the control rooms aboard the Hannibal there is a holographic table displaying a tactical scheme of a battlefield. Three SMC squads are visible on the scheme, named Badger, Mushroom, and Snake.
- There's a multiplayer map called "Death Before Dishonor", named after the Bushido code of the Samurai.
- A later patch for multiplayer gave serveradmins the option to have the players buy the weapons instead of picking them.
See also the Mythology Gag page
for the Id/Bethesda shout-outs.
- Anarki has the following taunt:
- An update gave Clutch the ability to dodge and dash mid-air.
- Nyx has the looks of Kula Diamond.
- Her "Cehma" costume brings up Vela to mind.
- One of Ranger's Assist voicelines is "I've got no time to bleed".
- Sorlag's "Sorg Spawn" accessory in the "Vanity" category has her, a lizard, carrying an egg on her back.
- Visor's "Vanity" accessory "Tentacles" turns him into Brainiac, while the "Iron Mask" and "Scavenger" accessories, also from the "Vanity" category, brings Predator to mind. He also has an armor accessory which basically gives him Bane's Venom Tubes.
- The award for a frag while on low health is called "Die Hard".
- There are awards for getting the first frag, for killing 5 enemies without dying, and for a headshot with the Railgun called "First Blood", "Killing Spree" and "Headshot". It took 18 years, though.
- The Doom II skin for the Super Shotgun has been given the name of the Boomstick.