Welcome to the Shout-Out page for Pop Team Epic en Chileno. As if the series itself hadn't enough...
- The first you can see as reference is Popuko and Pipimi wearing folklore typical Chilean clothes for "huaso" (male) and "china" (female) characters, respectively.
- Like the half of the titles between gags are phrases and quotes from Chilean memes and viral videos, just to start.
- Plan Z, the Chilean Cult Classic TV program from The '90s, is referenced in some gags (like the band aid) as well in the description of some videos. And coming from the same creators a decade later, there're 31 Minutos references in some titles too. And about Chilean Media, Mi Perro Chocolo and Los Pulentos also appear here.
- Notable Flash Videos Roberto Manfinfla and the Chilean version of Migraine Boy made in the Turn of the Millennium also appear referenced in some videos. Notably the first gag from the episode 6 is the Roberto Manfinfla version of Hoshiiro Girldrop from anime's first episode.
- The "Marilyn Monroe" scream is replaced by "Valentina Roth" (a famous but controversial Chilean TV gossip star.) The Girls ReDub replaced it again by "Kenita Larraín" (an even more controversial local TV star, also doubled for the eponymous character of the Chilean version of Meg Bundy from Married... with Children.)
- Beer gag replaced the slogan of Japanese (M)Asahi for the local Escudo, and the ReDub version (0:48) changed it for the Cristal, another known local beer brand.
- The "Eisai Haramasukoi" gag replaces this for the Chilean ghetto song "Washa Rica." As with "Marilyn Monroe" scream gag, the Girls ReDub changes it again for the first wave Reggaeton song "Papi Chulo", also considered as a ghetto song.
Pop Culture references:
- The first of all, the Running Gag of the hate against YouTube, being mentioned sometimes in the 4koma and in some videos and publications (a parallel to Takeshobo in the original series).
- Being very popular in Chile, there're also some references to Uruguayan youtuber El Bananero (and recently the Argentinian Te Lo Resumo Así Nomás) in some videos.
- In the football/soccer gag, everytime Pipimi and Popuko make shoots instead of "Aura Cannon!" they said "Hadouken!"
- Another non-local references are the gameplay gags where Popuko was seen playing E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and Superman 64.
- The Batman Ninja version of "Are you upset?" gag starts with the quote "Where!? Where's the trigger!?" and the voices for Batman and The Joker are made just like in the movies.
- The xylophone gag has Popuko unexpectedly playing Vicky Vale's "Dancing" song.
- In the Alice Allusion gag from Bob Epic Team, when the rabbit tries to escape running around Popuko, he says "ATATATATATATA!!"
- And about that, did we mention the BET gag when Popuko made the "YEAH! video" with MACINTOSH PLUS?
- Their version of "Let's Pop Together" lampshades the plagiarism of the music video with part of the lyrics:
- The first gag of episode 7, the scene based on Shogun's Samurai that started anime's episode 10, has the shogun named as Zuckerberg-sama.
- A double Actor Allusion reference is the "Your life will end in 30 minutes" gag, where Popuko's male voice was made by Ryusei Nakao, who gave the voice to Frieza in Dragon Ball. Here, the same line was said imitating Gerardo Reyero, Frieza's official Latin American dubber, as how he would say the same line as Frieza.