- When Jake is called to Mud at one point, he's not pleased at being summoned like a "mongrel pup". To make it better, that quote is said in the source material by Bill Nighy, Jake's voice actor.
- While playing poker with Jake, Grace asks questions about him and quotes another certain snake at one point. For bonus points, the quote is said in the 2016 version of the Jungle Book by Scarlett Johansson, whom the author has chosen as Grace's potential voice actress."... trusssssst in me."
- There are several instances of quoting the Bible; Grace recalls distinctly John 8:7 in Chapter 5, while Mon Hellsing quotes at different points Luke 10:19, Peter 2:4 and Micah 7:17.
- While angsting over the upcoming court with Dufayel, Rango mutters to himself quotations from Macbeth. Later he quotes A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- A line in the 22nd chapter ("When ya look at me, what'd ya see?") is a deliberate reference to another Rango fanfic, Awake and Alive by Grim Piggles.
- The final line and the epigraph song ("God's Gonna Cut You Down") of the 32nd chapter are inspired by an animash trailer of True Grit (the 2010 adaptation) featuring Rattlesnake Jake.
- Henry is a combination of two characters from Once Upon a Time in the West; he's a Psycho for Hire like Frank and is motivated by the desire to avenge his dead brother like Harmonica.
- "The Scarlet Kiss" Delilah Rangler has more than a passing resemblance to Kissin' Kate Barlow.
Shout Out / Old West