- The fic has several pop culture references, including The Dark Knight, Yotsuba&! (possibly unintentional), Star Wars and Watchmen ("I did it thirty five minutes ago"). The author references one of his other fics in this, noting that it explains more about Roger's "creepy" behavior with a dog.
- The "sign the song that ends the world" bit has to be a Shout-Out to Penny Arcade or Planescape: Torment.
- In Chapter 13, Dark performs a Dragon Ball Kamehameha. However, it's misspelled as the "Kamy Hamy Ha".
- In chapter 16 Dark fights with two swords in his hand and one between his teeth, a Shout-Out to One Piece.
- Odds are, if it's a recent action game, it'll be referenced - Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare, God of War, Metal Gear... even Guitar Hero gets a Shout-Out. Amusingly, a flashforward showed Modern Warfare 3, described as "like the normal game but with laser guns". Then the game is released for real, albeit nothing like that description. And then, a few years after that, Advanced Warfare comes out and does indeed have laser guns. Accidentally Correct Writing?
- "THIS IS A JOB FOR DESK LADY!" she said like superman and flew to the desk except she cant fly cos shes just a normal lady so she just walked but did it extra fast.
- "Some guy told me that im on Tv Tropes now which is like a wikipedia but for tv or something!! THIS A FAMOUS STORY BUT I WONT LET IT GOT TO MY HEAD EVEN IF IM AWSEOM! Im not on tv but i guess death note is and thats why they licked it?"
- At one point, alarms go off "...like NERVE everytime an angel comes."
- The author seems to be a Kanye West fan; both Watari and Day use the "I'mma let you finish" construction, Light's mom "MAKES SOME TOAST FOR THE DOOSHBAG" (i.e. Near), Day has Kanye's spiral haircut and when he gets "burnt and twisted", he becomes a "BEAUTIFUL DARK TWISTED FANTASY" (in a chapter appropriately called "A Dark (YAGAMI) Twisted Fantasy"). He even makes an appearance as shinigami in chapter 43, writing "all his songs in a death note and that's why he kills!".
- Chapter 45, Dark can no longer remember anything about anything. And if he ever did, his head would explode.
- In the first part of the epilogue, it turns out that Mello not only looks like Lady Gaga (an assertion that the author made earlier in the series) but is Lady Gaga. The fic then reveals that he sang a song about his "Papa", who is called "Ratzy".
- Wammy House... sorry, "Watari House" is "a magic school". Light just has one question about it:"IS IT HOGWARTS DAD?"
- Roger, caretaker/teacher/owner/something of Wammy House, refuses to "give them any more" at meal times.
- Is this supposed to be a Shout-Out to Iron Man?"the nuclear in cybertakadas giant chest was spinning at a million miles an hour."
- Samanther is described looking "just like the drummer chick from that scot pilgrim film" (Lynette Guycott).
- Samanther says "MY MILKSHAKE BRINGS ALL THE SHINGAMI TO THE ARENA.", referencing the song "Milkshake" by Kelis (chorus: "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard")
- "ALSO MY FIGHTING IS BETTER THAN YOURS! DAM RIGHT ITS BETTER THAN YOURS" - "Could you teach me?" said dark. "BUT ID HAVE TO CHARGE" (LOOK UP KELIS IF YOU DON'T GET IT BUT IT'S A SONG ABOUT WARMING UP MILKSHAKE AND USING IT TO FILL YOUR YARD WITH BOYS SO THEY'LL TEACH PEEPS HOW TO MAKE MILKSHAKE FOR MONEY I GUESS?)
- The Matrix "Agent Smith tried to stop them" when they went on the internet.
- In the second epilogue-chapter Dark enters Sherlock Forest and finds Robin Hood's treasure-hoard.
- In Chapter 30, Dark and Night are said to be blowing things up in 'Just Course 2'.
Shout Out / Light and Dark The Adventures of Dark Yagami