- A story about the origins of the story of Santa Claus, bringing happiness to a grim town despite the actions of its cruel leaders, as told by a kindly postman, complete with a schoolteacher as the love interest. The movie, in fact, comes off as something of an homage and a Decon-Recon Switch of the well worn plot.
- A few characters have facial features that strongly evoke Rankin-Bass characters, as well.
- Some of the architecture comes across as an homage to Whoville.
- Similarly, Jasper barely snagging the bag of toys before it goes over the cliff with only his own body holding it back is a clear homage to the Grinch's iconic HeelFace Turn where the same thing occurs.
- Margu playing with her new toy looks pretty similar to Jim on his solar sail, which the director had previously worked on.
- Also Jesper telling Klaus he'll write his letter using monosyllabic words is a nod towards the banter between Dr. Doppler and Captain Amelia.
Shout Out / Klaus (2019)