Just like its parent game, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft has a large number of references to pop culture:
Basic and Classic
- Abomination's attack quote "Rip and tear" is a reference to the Doom Comic, where Doomguy says the quote while under the effects of a Berserk powerup. The full quote is "Rip and tear! You are huge! That means you have huge guts!" Quite appropriate for the A-bomb.
- The Battle Cry and flavor text of the hunter card Houndmaster both reference the famous Baha Men song "Who Let The Dogs Out".
- The Black Knight returns as a card, with all the Monty Python references intact. The flavor text of the shaman card Ancestral Spirit also references the same scene. And while The Skeleton Knight is mostly Game of Thrones references, his flavour text is "Apparently it really was just a flesh wound..."
- The warrior card Commanding Shout has flavor text claiming that novice warriors are told to "Shout, shout, let it all out".
- The flavor text on the Hungry Crab card reads, "Murloc. It's what's for dinner.", referencing the famous advertising slogan for beef.
- The flavor text on the warrior card Rampage reads, "Minion get ANGRY. Minion SMASH!" Also, the warrior card Battle Rage has the following: "You won't like me when I'm angry."
- The warrior card Brawl's flavor text asks if you know about the first rule of Brawl Club.
- The hunter card Snake Trap has flavor text referencing one of Indiana Jones's most famous lines.
- Druid of the Fang's entry quote is the same line.
- Another hunter card, the Savannah Highmane, has flavor text that's a twist on the chorus of the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". This reference doubles as a reference to The Lion King (1994) as this is the way Scar probably died - the song is also featured in this movie.
- The paladin card Sword of Justice has the following flavor text: "Arise, Sir Loin of Beef!"
- Lorewalker Cho's flavor text says that his favorite story is one where Joey and Phoebe go on a road trip.
- The Stranglethorn Tiger has flavor text telling us that the wonderful thing about tigers is that tigers are wonderful things.
- The druid card Claw declares that the claw decides who will stay and who will go.
- Shadow Word: Death, a priest card, notes that it leaves a lightning bolt-shaped scar on the target if it misses.
- The text for the druid's Naturalize spell reads, "Another one bites the dust".
- The flavor text for the mage's Blizzard spell is a self-reference to Blizzard Entertainment.
- The flavor text for the mage's Ice Block secret, "Ice is nice, and will suffice", is a reference to Robert Frost's poem, "Fire and Ice".
- The text for the rogue's Preparation spell, "Be Prepared" - Rogue Motto. is actually the motto of the Scouts.
- The flavor text for the Raid Leader and the warrior's Upgrade spell are both references to the "Onyxia Wipe" skit from World of Warcraft.
- The Argent Protector's flavor text is a reference to Morpheus's lines from The Matrix.
- The Arcanite Reaper's flavor text says that, "No... actually you should fear the Reaper," referencing Blue Öyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper".
- The Eaglehorn Bow's flavor text is a reference to The Mask of Zorro.
- The Mage's Frostbolt spell says it's customary to yell, "Chill out!" or "Freeze!" or "Ice ice, baby!"
- The warlock's Drain Life spell says, "I've just sucked one year of your life away."
- Whenever the priest's class legendary, prophet Velen, is summoned he will say, "Not all who wander are lost," a reference to The Lord of the Rings. Likewise, the Shieldbearer will proclaim, "You shall not pass," when summoned, a reference to Gandalf's famous line.
- When the Knife Juggler is summoned, he will prompt you to, "Put this apple on your head."
- The Venture Co. Mercenary's flavour text states: "No job is too big. No fee is too big."
- "Lightning Bolt!! Lightning Bolt!! Lightning Bolt!!"
- Patient Assassin's entry quote is "Go ahead... make my day."
Curse of Naxxramas
- Another Holy Grail shout-out is the Undertaker's battle cry: "Bring out your dead!"
- Deathlord's flavour text simply states "Rise from your grave", but attributes the quote to Kel'thuzad
- The Unrelenting Warrior will have you know that he'll be back - he will be, too.
Goblins vs. Gnomes
The Grand Tournament
- The Maiden of the Lake joins the Monty Python shout outs with her flavour text: "Not a good basis for a system of government."
- Argent Horserider's summoning quote is "Don't worry loves, the cavalry's here!" (Note: The first airing of the Overwatch first trailer was before The Grand Tournament was unveiled)
- As mentioned above, The Skeleton Knight's entry quote is "In the Grand Tournament, you win or you die" and his attack quote is "Pay the Iron Price".
- The flavour text on Saboteur is "Listen all y'all it's a saboteur!"
- There's a reason the elven archer with long red curly hair bears the card name Brave Archer.
- The card's text makes the shout-out more pronounced, as does its entry cry.
- Mukla's Champion's flavor text references Star wars by calling him: "An elegant gorilla, for a more civilised age."
- North Sea Kraken's flavor text lets you know that: "You have no idea how tired this guy is of being released."
- The flavour text for Light's Champion is "When there's something strange (say, a gibbering demon) in your neighborhood, who are you going to call?"
- Flash Heal's flavour text is the fairly predictable "Flash! Ahhhhhhh~"
- According to its flavour text, people like to call the Void Crusher "Wesley".
- There are a lot of references to Portal in the art from the Mage Card "Mirror Entity": It shows a man crossing two portals, that are blue and orange. He is also wearing accesories that look a lot like the Aperture Science Logo, and another one that looks like a Companion Cube.
- Evil Heckler apparently learned to taunt from a certain bunch of French guys.
The League of Explorers
Whispers of the Old Gods
Mean Streets of Gadgetzan
- The flavor text for Kabal Chemist is a reference to Family Guy.
- In the Gadgetzan game board, one of buildings - implied to be one of Jade Lotus' dens - has a katana stuck in its wall. When rapidly clicked, it'll spawn a green magical dragon, similar to one that appears whenever Genji draws his Dragonblade.
- White Eyes: "My life for Aya!"
- Aya Blackpaw's entry quote is "Golems are a girl's best friend!"
Journey to Un'Goro
- Kalimos, when played, says "By the elements combined!" and yells "The power is mine!" when attacking. Both lines reference Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
- Cornered Sentry says "Clever girl...!" as she dies.
- Vilespine Slayer's text paraphrases Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off": "'Cause slayers gonna slay, slay, slay, slay, slay."
- "I am the Voraxx. I speak for the weeds."
- Pyros's text claims that "If you strike her down, she shall become more powerful than you can possibly
well, she'll become a 6/6 anyways."
- Primordial Drake: "Before he became a rap artist."
- "Tar Lord, man... legendary monster? Aw, forget it."
- Thunder Lizard: "What? THUNDER LIZARD is adapting!"
- Evolving Spores's text claims that the best mushrooms are always in boxes marked with "?"
Knights of the Frozen Throne
Kobolds & Catacombs
- Woodcutter's Axe is a lumberjack's axe, and that's okay. Yes, Blizzard loves their Monty Python references.
- "Emeriss uses Wing Blast. It's super effective!"
- Countess Ashmore channels Count von Count: "1 minion
ah, ah, ah! 2 minions
ah, ah, ah! 3 minions
ah, ah, ah!"
- Prince Liam's text reads like something you'd expect from a certain other Liam: "I have a very particular set of skills. Skills that make me a nightmare for witches like you."
- Hunting Mastiff's flavor text reads "Shh! You're going to start a howl!"
- Squashling: "Everyone hail to the squashling song!"
- Hagatha the Witch's card text claims that she is, among other vile things, a Hanzo main.
- A lot of Glinda Crowskin's Easter Egg dialogue during her boss fight is taken from the witches' dialogue in Act IV, Scene I of Macbeth, as is the Cauldron Elemental's entry quote "Fire burn and cauldron bubble!"
- Houndmaster Shaw's text is "They're good dogs, Tess." This references a meme that sprang up when a Twitter account that rates dogs responded to someone criticizing their rating system with the line "they're good dogs Brent".
- Wharrgarbl's Hero Power pulls double-duty: It's named "It's Raining Fin", and its icon resembles the cover for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
- One of the bosses in the Monster Hunt mode is Gustave, a crocolisk (basically a fantasy crocodile in Warcraft verse). There actually is a real life man-eating crocodile named Gustave.
- When playing as Houndmaster Shaw, one of his unique treasures is a weapon. Its name? Shaw's Shank.
- If the player emotes during Tess's Nemesis fight against Captain Shivers, he responds with "You best start believin' in ghost stories, missy."
- Blackwald Pixie's flavor text is a reference to, of all things, The Room.
- Felsoul Inquisitor's text drops yet another Monty Python reference: "Everyone expects an inquisition reference."
- The Glass Knight is a knight come to life from a stained glass window, which also happens to sport Samus's color scheme.
- Everything about the Shudderwock is some kind of Jabberwocky reference.
The Boomsday Project
- Rusty Recycler is a slightly modified WALLE. Its flavor text gets in a second shout-out by referencing Revenge of the Sith: "Ironic. It could recycle others, but not itself."
- Holomancer follow up on the Star Wars references with "Help me, worthy opponent. You're my only hope."
- One of the neutral Legendaries of the set is called Harbinger Celestia, and the card text confirms that the reference is intentional. With this in mind, Mage's Legendary minion from the set being named Stargazer Luna is probably not a coincidence.
- Skaterbot is a thinly-veiled reference to Avril Lavigne's "Sk8er Boi."
- Dr. Boom, Mad Genius: "Of course I've gone mad with power. Ever try going mad without it?"
- Dendrologist's trying to teach his treant buddy to talk. But all it says is "I am Gloop."
- Landscaping summons a happy little tree, and gives him a little friend.
- "Wrecks a dude, any size. Catches thieves, eats those guys. Look out! Here comes a Spider Bomb!"
- Prismatic Lens depicts a crystal refracting light into a rainbow. Apparently, it was mined exclusively from The Dark Side of the Moon.
- E.M.P. Operative: "I said this looks like a job for me/So everybody just follow me/'Cause we need a little E.M.P/'Cause it feels so mechy without me
- Crystalsmith's Kangor's first puzzle in the Puzzle Lab is named after, of all things, the "Just Monika" scene from Doki Doki Literature Club!.
- Phasing Portal, a Puzzle Lab exclusive spell, is an even more blatant Portal reference than Mirror Entity, depicting what's basically a gnome Chell with a portal gun in front of a blue portal.
Rise of Shadows
Saviors of Uldum
- Frightened Flunky◊ looks mighty similar to a certain Shaggy Rogers.
- Pyschopomp offers you to come with him if you want to re-live.
- Oooh, see that wasp! Watch that sting! Dig in the Sandwasp Queen!
- The Cloud Prince of Skywall: "In West Cloudidelphia, born and raised; flinging lightning for the rest of my days."
- Possibly double-duty, considering Could Prince is an air elemental, and genies in WoW are air elementals as well.
- Activate the Obelisk's text is "A one-eyed, one stone, towering purple minion healer", based on a certain Sheb Wooley song.
- Weaponized Wasp was a request from Dr. Boom for wasps with flippin' laser beams attached to their (flippin') heads.
- Sandstorm Elemental (predictably) gets an onomatopoeic rendition of the infamous "Sandstorm" by Darude.
- Diseased Vulture: "He's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket! THIS IS AN EX-VULTURE!" Just in case you thought Blizzard was done with Monty Python.
- High Priest Amet: "All minions are equal, but some minions are more equal than others."
- Kobold Sandtrooper looks a lot like a kobold Deckard Cain and wants you to "Stay awhile, take candle."
- Plague of Flames: "This is fine."
- Hyena Alpha: "Everything the sun touches is ours - as long as it's already dead." Bonus points for its Battlecry summoning two more hyenas.
- The Plague Lords and the fact that they are in an Egyptian setting appear to be references to the Ten Plagues of Egypt, with four of them even drawing parallels to some of the Plagues themselves.
Descent of Dragons and Galakrond's Awakening
Ashes of Outland
- The art for Skull of Gul'dan depicts a hand holding said skull aloft, and Illidan says "Alas, poor warlock" when playing it.
Madness at the Darkmoon Faire
United in Stormwind
- "Forbidden Jutsu", in reference to Shadow Clone, is a joke about Naruto's signature ability to copy himself.
- "IT'S SO FLUFFY", named after a scene in Despicable Me where Agnes freaks out about a fuzzy unicorn plushie.
- "Two-Punch Man" > One-Punch Man.
- "Missing: Holy Hand Grenade" is another reference to a joke from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- "Mine! Mine! Mine!" is taken from Finding Nemo, where a bunch of seagulls chant the phrase to call dibs on food.
- "Burn, Baby, Burn!" and "Disco Arcano" are named for the chorus of the song "Disco Inferno" by The Trammps.
- "Windfast and Windfurious" > The Fast and the Furious.
- "But You Have Heard Of Me" is named for a memorable line from Captain Jack Sparrow regarding his notoriety as a pirate.
- "You've Got A Fiend In Me" > "You've Got A Friend In Me".
- "Burninating the Countryside" is named for a line in the Troggdor song from Homestar Runner.
- "Game Done Quick" > Awesome Games Done Quick.
- "Dude, Where's My Cards?" > Dude, Where's My Car?.
- "An Even Larger Man" refers to a joke from Day9, who was making a crack about Jade Druid at the time.
- "Raiders Of The Lost Cards" > Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- "Girls Just Aranna Have Fun" > "Girls Just Want to Have Fun".
- "Salty Bets" is named after a popular, long-running M.U.G.E.N livestream where the viewers bet on fights between the game's (many) characters.
- "Show Me Your Moves" is a reference to Captain Falcon's popular Catchphrase from Super Smash Bros..
- "Phenomenal Cosmic Powers" is yet another reference to a funny line from Aladdin.
- "Duel of the Fates" is named for an extremely popular song from Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace.
- "No Pathetic Cards" comes from, as mentioned under C'Thun, the Shattered in Madness at the Darkmoon Faire, an iconic line from Yu-Gi-Oh! (incidentally, the achievement requires killing a full-health opponent with C'Thun's Battlecry).
- The first Tavern Brawl of 2017 pitted the player against an AI-controlled Dark Wanderer, who started with three Secrets in play. Triggering all of them summoned a portal that, on the next turn, transformed him into the Cow King, heralded by "You have made it to the Secret Level!"
- One of the weapons in the Rumbledome Tavern Brawl is a Board With a Nail in It.