- The Chipmunks themselves were named after the top executives of Liberty Records, their original label: Al Bennettnote , Si Waronkernote and Ted Keepnote .
open/close all folders
- From Let's All Sing with the Chipmunks:
- At the end of "Ragtime Cowboy Joe":
- The Chipmunks sing "Whistle While You Work" in the form of rock n' roll.
- The original issue of the album depicted three realistic looking chipmunks on the cover with Alvin making a pose like the then-recently deceased Al Jolson. Then when the album was reissued two years later, a new cover was substituted with The Alvin Show animation cel setup reenacting the poses the original chipmunks made but now Alvin is shown making a pose like Elvis Presley.
- The countries Dave and the Chipmunks visit in Around the World with The Chipmunks are Mexico, Japan, France, Arabia, Germany, North Pole, Hawai'i, Italy, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland and England.
- From The Chipmunk Songbook:
- For the ending of "Git Along, Little Doggies" :
) A-yippie-ti-yi-yo, COME HERE, little Chipmunks! Better CLEAN UP THIS MESS before I count to three. Put the saw horses back now, GET A MOVE, little Chipmunks! Or you'll think ya met up with Simon Legree
- The Chipmunks also cover "While Strolling in the Park One Day" (Ed Haley) and "Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two)" (Harry Dacre).
- From Christmas with The Chipmunks, The Chipmunks cover "Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane)" (Gene Autry & Oakley Haldeman), "Up on the House Top" (Benjamin Hanby), "Silver Bells" (Jay Livingston & Ray Evans), "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (Johnny Marks), "Jingle Bells" (James Lord Pierpont), "Over the River and Through the Woods" (Lydia Maria Child), "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" (J. Fred Coots & Haven Gillespie), "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" (Meredith Willson), "Frosty the Snowman" (Walter "Jack" Rollins & Steve Nelson) and "White Christmas" (Irving Berlin).
- From Christmas with The Chipmunks: Vol. 2, The Chipmunks sing "Jingle Bell Rock" (Joe Beal & Jim Boothe), "Hang Up Your Stockin'" (Jack Mann), "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Hugh Martin & Ralph Blane), "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas" (Wilf Carter), "All I Want for Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth)" (Donald Yetter Gardner) and "The Night Before Christmas" (Clement Clarke Moore).
- The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits tribute album not only have Dave, Alvin, Simon and Theodore wearing Beatle wigs but cover said band's hits.
- The Chipmunks Sing With Children:
- According to the notes by Rostom "Ross" Bagdasarian, the chorus was the Jimmy Joyce Children's Chorus, all arrangements made by Pete King.
- The songs Alvin, Simon and Theodore cover are "Do-Re-Mi," "Rag Mop" (Johnnie Lee Wills & Deacon Anderson), "Me Too (Ho-Ho! Ha-Ha!)" (Harry M. Woods, Charles Tobias & Al Sherman), "Mr. Sandman" (Pat Ballard), "Tonight You Belong to Me" (Dottie West), "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," "Tea for Two," "Que Sera Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)," "Mississippi Mud," "Down by the Old Mill Stream" (Tell Taylor), "Hello, Dolly!" and "Puff, the Magic Dragon."
- Chipmunks à Go-Go has The Chipmunks singing "California Girls," "This Diamond Ring" (Gary Lewis & the Playboys), "Mr. Tambourine Man," "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter," "I'm a Fool" (Dino, Desi & Billy), "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" (Lesley Gore), "The Race Is On" (Jack Jones), "King of the Road" (Roger Miller), "Downtown" (Petula Clark), "The 'In' Crowd" (Dobie Gray), "What's New Pussycat?" and "I'm Henry the VIII, I Am."
- Title of 1968 music album by Dave Seville and The Chipmunks is The Chipmunks see Doctor Dolittle, even covering all songs from the movie.
- Among the songs Dave Seville and The Chipmunks cover in The Chipmunks Go to the Movies are "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," "Hushabye Montain," "We're Off to See the Wizard," "The Bare Necessities," "Chim Chim Cher-ee," "Consider Yourself," "You Two" and "The Roses of Success."
- Chipmunk Punk has The Chipmunks performing "Let's Go" (Ric Ocasek), "Good Girls Don't" (Doug Fieger), "How Do I Make You...?" (Billy Steinberg), "Refugee", "Frustrated" (Doug Fieger & Berton Averre), "Call Me" (Debbie Harry & Giorgio Moroder), "You May Be Right", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (Freddie Mercury) and "My Sharona" (Doug Fieger & Berton Averre).
- Urban Chipmunk:
- Not only does the album title spoofs 1980 movie Urban Cowboy, but the cover spoofs the movie's cover as well.
- The Chipmunks cover "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (John Denver), "The Gambler", "Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)" (Robert Emmons & Chips Moman), "I Love a Rainy Night" (Eddie Rabbitt), "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboy Chipmunks" (Bruce Brothers), "Coward of the County" (Edgar Bowling & Bobby Wheeler) and "On the Road Again".
- The album features Jerry ReedSONG(S) , Larry ButlerSONG(S) and Brenda Lee SONG(S) .
- The CD bonus track has The Chipmunks covering "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" (The Charlie Daniels Band)" and "Boot Scootin' Boogie".
- Chipmunk Rock:
- The Chipmunks Go Hollywood has The Chipmunks covering "Eye of the Tiger"note , "Tomorrow", "The Dukes of Hazzard Theme Song", "You're the One That I Want", "Believe It or Not", "E. T. & Me", "9 to 5", "Fame", "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" and "Chariots of Fire".
- The Chipmunk Adventure soundtrack:
- The Chipmunks cover "Wooly Bully" (Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs).
- Also, "The Girls of Rock 'n' Roll" the Chipettes and Chipmunks cover is from The Malibu Bikini Shop.
- Several places are mentioned in "Weekend in France, Italy, England, Amsterdam, Greece...":
) We're not in Holland
) And the chime of Big Ben
Where the guards stand
So straight at the palace
) We're not in England
) And the leaning tower
Even though it is bent. Dave:
) Not Italy
) There is nothing as great as Spain
Or dancing at Oktoberfest
My heart soars in Amsterdam
And skiing in San Moritz
We crawled over
The Great Wall of China
And woke up in Budapest
There is nothing as great as Nome Dave:
) Or sailing down the blue Danube
The royalty of Monaco
) Okay that's it you guys
, hold it right there
. There's no dancing snakes or kangaroos or lions approaching, we're in Greece
! Home of the Parthenon, the Acropolis, the Eiffel Tower! Alvin:
) Dave, the Eiffel Tower is in France
) I knew that! You guys have got me all mixed up! London
, where are we?
- The Chipmunks and The Chipettes: Born to Rock:
- Both groups cover "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (Kim Wilde, originally The Supremes).
- The Chipmunks cover "Faith" (George Michael), "Always on My Mind," "Bad," "La Bamba" (Los Lobos, originally Ritchie Valens), "Mony Mony" (Billy Idol, originally Tommy James & The Shondells) and "Do You Love Me" (The Contours).
- The Chipettes cover "Walk Like an Egyptian", "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" (Belinda Carlisle), "Venus" (The Shocking Blue), "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" and "Pink Cadillac" (Natalie Cole, originally Bruce Springsteen).
- The Chipmunks Rock the House:
- Chipmunks in Low Places:
- Features Billy Ray CyrusSONG(S) , Tammy WynetteSONG(S) , Alan JacksonSONG(S) , Charlie DanielsSONG(S) , Waylon JenningsSONG(S) and Aaron TippinSONG(S) .
- The Chipmunks do "I Feel Lucky" (Mary Chapin Carpenter) and "Down at the Twist and Shout" (Mary Chapin Carpenter).
- Canned Heat is featured singing "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late" on the Chipmunks' Greatest Christmas Hits' only bonus track).
- Compilation music album Here's Looking at Me!:
- A Very Merry Chipmunk
- Featured are Kenny GSONG(S) , Patty LovelessSONG(S) , The Boys Choir of HarlemSONG(S) , Gene AutrySONG(S) , Céline DionSONG(S) and Alan JacksonSONG(S) .
- James Ingram sings "I Don't Want to Be Alone for Christmas (Unless I'm Alone with You)" where none of the Chipmunks participate.
- In "'A' Comes Before 'B'", Alvin mentions several characters while signing.
- When You Wish Upon a Chipmunk
- The Chipmunks and The Chipettes cover "Hakuna Matata", "I've Got No Strings", "Friend Like Me", "Kiss the Girl", "Colors of the Wind", "Be Our Guest", "He's a Tramp," "The Three Caballeros," "Under the Sea" and "When You Wish upon a Star".
- On the album cover, Simon is Pinocchio, Alvin is Genie and Theodore is either Fairy Godmother, the Blue Fairy, either Merryweather, Flora or Fauna if not Tinkerbell.
- "Macarena" (Los del Río), "Vogue," "Stayin' Alive," "Play That Funky Music" (Wild Cherry), "I'm Too Sexy" (Right said Fred), "Turn the Beat Around" (Vicki Sue Robinson & Gloria Estefan), "Shout" and "Love Shack" are sung in Club Chipmunk: The Dance Mixes.
- The A-Files: Alien Songs:
- This 1998 music album title is, of course, inspired by The X-Files.
- During "The X-Files Theme," Alvin and Brittany play Agent Mulder and Agent Scully.
- Also from the song, the alien ask where Roswell Celebration is:
It's near Las Vegas
Oh yes, where Elvis
Elvis is dead. Alien: No he's not
- Throughout the "Venus" song, Jeanette tries to tell Brittany something:
- Alvin, Simon, Brittany and Eleanor portray the roles of Riff Raff, Dr. Scott, Magenta, and Columbia in "The Time Warp" song.
- Alvin mentions Luke Skywalker during "Star Wars: Cantina Band."
- Songs "The Purple People Eater" (Sheb Wooley), "Men in Black," "Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)," "People Are Strange," "Mr. Spaceman" and "Destination Unknown" are also covered.
- Chipwrecked: Music from the Motion Picture:
- Both Chipmunks and Chipettes do a blend of "Born This Way", "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" (McFadden & Whitehead), and "Firework".
- Both groups also cover "Party Rock Anthem," "Bad Romance" and "Trouble." They even cover "Club Can't Handle Me" (Flo Rida) on the bonus track.
- The Chipettes cover "Whip My Hair" (Willow Smith), "S.O.S." and "Survivor". The three even do an amalgamation of "We No Speak Americano" (Yolanda Be Cool) and "Conga" (Miami Sound Machine)" featuring Barnetta DaFonseca.
- BASKOSONG(S) , ClassicSONG(S) and NomadikSONG(S) are featured.
- J. P. Lester the Bedsheet Ghost from "Haunted House" sounds a lot like Jerry Lewis.
- When Alvin's looking through his obnoxious neighbor's house while standing on top Theodore's head who's standing on Simon's head who's standing on Dave's in "Good Neighbor," one of the pictures hanging on the neighbor's wall is a parody drawing Arrangement in Grey and Black: Portrait of the Artist's Mother by James Abbot McNeil Whistler, which coincidentally has a plaque under the picture calling it "Whistler's Mother."
There's also a picture of Mother Goose hanging on the wall.
- After showing Dave and boys a very long list of names supposedly pledged to encourage radio stations to stop playing Chipmunk music in "Squares" in favor of Classical Music:
...and to bring Bach
- When leaving the Seville residence, Ms. Frumpington sings an excerpt from Beethoven's Fifth Symphony before stopping when she hears the sound of dripping water.
- The plot of "Alvin's Alter Ego" has Alvin seeing the results of him working alone and not with his brothers via his devil self and angel self just how George Bailey saw what it would be like if he never was born.
- Some of the inventions Crashcup claims to be his is flight, electricity and the telephone. He also claims to have invented a time machine.
- Clyde appears on a parody of This is Your Life in "This is Your Life, Clyde Crashcup!"
- In "Sam Valiant Real Estate," Sam Valiant points to an old tree with a rope tied to a branch:
And here's the favorite of all children, 'The Tarzan
Tree!' You there, the talkity one! (Goes over to Theodore and pushes him to said tree
) C'mon, don't be bashful! Swing like Tarzan! Ya know, "AaAaAaAaAah!"
- The newspaper first reporting about the stolen necklace seen in "Eagle in Love" is Daily Bugle.
- The dragon Alvin imagines in "Sir Alvin" resembles Cecil.
- Dave's second cousin twice removed on his father's side Chuck Wagon from "Hillbilly Son" wears an equivalent Davy Crockett hat.
- The musical interlude of "Yankee Doodle" plays on the recorder when Alvin tries helping Stanley the Eagle make music with a pair of cymbals during "Eagle Music."
- How Alvin tricks obnoxious social director Roger Marshall into getting into the lifeboat and sending him into the sea from "Alvin's Curse" is like how Gretel tricked the witch by getting her to climb inside the oven.
- Dave and the Chipmunks visit Venice during the "Oh, Gondaliero!" musical segment as well as Paris in "I Wish I Could Speak French."
- One of the masks Dave has hanging on his wall in "Witch Doctor" are the tragedy/comedy Greek theatre masks. Among the masks in Dave's collection, he also has a Yaqui Indian mask, a Peruvian mask, an Inroquois Indian mask and a mask from Tibet.
- Dave exclaiming "I made that record once!" in regards to the Chipmunks wanting to sing the song is in regards to Ross Bagdasarian doesn't consider "Witch Doctor" not being a Chipmunks song, the first true song by the Chipmunk Trio being "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)."
- In "Ragtime Cowboy Joe," the director is (supposedly) based off Alfred Hitchcock, possibly in regards to Ross Bagdasarian appearing in Rear Window.
- Magic shop owner from "Pop Goes the Weasel" is named Sam Merlin.
- The Chipmunks help a guy named Buffalo Bill from "Buffalo Gals" find his long lost girlfriend by singing at a local TV station.
- The president in office at the time of "Alvin for President" would have been John F. Kennedy.
Pun-Based Episode Titles
- "Unidentified Flying Chipmunk": The Chipmunks watch Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
- "The Chip-Punks" = possibly a reference to the New Wave music album Chipmunk Punk by The Chipmunks.
- "Alvin... and the Chipmunk": Episode plot is a spoof of The Prince and the Pauper since both Alvin and the other chipmunk switch places.
- "Santa Harry" = spoof on 1953 Christmas song "Santa Baby" by Senator Jacob K. Javits's niece Joan Javits and Phillip Springer.
- "Rich and Infamous": Alvin makes a reference to Billy Joel, Slim Whitman and Prince.
- "A Horse, of Course" = part of the lyrics to a 1960 sitcom, coincidentally main character Wilbur Post voices Grandpa Seville in his first two appearances:
"A horse is a horse, of course
, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse, of course
That is, of course,
Unless the horse
Is the famous Mr. Ed
- "Some Entrancing Evening" = "Some Enchanted Evening," which refers to a show tune from South Pacific (as well as the name of a Blue Öyster Cult album).
- Fictional show This Is Your Father is a take on classic documentary television series This Is Your Life.
- "Maids in Japan": The Chipmunks are forced to sing "Three Little Girls from School" while disguised in kimonos and face masks.
- "Who Ghost There?": The Chipmunks decide to hunt ghosts while singing a familiar theme song.
- "Stayin' Afloat" = based off the song "Stayin' Alive" by The Bee Gees.
- "The Gold of My Dreams": "We're in the Money" is sung by The Chipmunks.
- "Every Chipmunk Tells a Story":
- "The Heat is On" is sung by The Chipmunks.
- The episode has strong elements from the 1950 Japanese period drama film Rashomon.
- "Middle Aged Davey" = based of the 1980 movie Middle Age Crazy.
- "Teevee or Not Teevee" = Shakespearean quote "To be or not to be... that's the question."
- Fictional The Johnny Letterman Show is a parody of The David Letterman Show.
- "How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm?" = the famous post-World War I phrase "How're you going to keep them down on the farm once they've seen Gay Paree?"
- "I Love L. A." = Shares the same name as a Randy Newman song.
- "Alvin, Alvin, Alvin!" = Play on popular phrase "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" by Jan Brady or Dave's catchphrase "Theodore, Simon, Alvin!" if not "Alvin, Alvin, Alvin!".
- "No Chipmunk is an Island": After Dave says he plans to turn the attic into a guest room:
Who's he thinking of inviting over? Dracula
- "Once Upon a Crime": During the conclusions to Dave's story, each Chipmunk portrays the following fictional heroes:
- "Home Sweet Home": Michael Jackson's mentioned and Stock Footage of him performing "Billie Jean" live appears.
- "The Chipmunks go to the Movies" = title of the last season shares the same name as 1969 album by Dave Seville and The Chipmunks, which is also the final studio album made by Rostom "Ross" Bagdasarian (Sr.) three years before his death, followed by an eleven year gap until the release of the next Chipmunk album Chipmunk Punk by Ross Bagdasarian (Jr.).
- Jaws is parodied in the opening.
- At the end of said opening, Alvin does the MGM lion roar imitation.
Shout Out Episode Titles
Episodes With Role-Play
- "Cinderella? Cinderella!" casts Brittany as Cinderella, Miss Miller as the wicked stepmother, Jeanette and Eleanor as the wicked stepsisters, Simon as the fairy godmunk, Theodore as the palace messenger, godmunk's assistant, and himself, Alvin as the Prince, and Dave as the King.
- "Chipmunk Vice" features Dave as a bartender at the Lavender Orchid and Alvin as a detective.
- "Dreamlighting" features Brittany and Alvin as Bratty Hayes and David Alvinson, Jeanette as Ms. Dapest, Simon as Simon le Simon, Eleanor as Ms. Snoop, and Theodore as the Nose.
- "Elementary, My Dear Simon":
- "Food for Thought"
- Alvin plays Christopher Columbus, a pilgrim and General George Armstrong Custer; Simon plays Queen Isabella's High Councilor, a pilgrim, and Chief Sitting Bull; Brittany plays Queen Isabella and a pilgrim; Jeanette plays a pilgrim and Betty Ross; and Eleanor plays a pilgrim.
- When naming Columbus's ships:
The Niña, the Pinta and the Titanic
- After telling the Pilgrims had to build houses, Alvin explains they built three different houses out of [[Literature/µThe Three Little Pigs straw, hay and bricks]] and when the wolf shows up, Simon cuts in.
- Theodore wants to hear about the Pilgrim's feast known as the first Thanksgiving:
They sent out for shakes and fries from McPilgrim's
- "Treasure Island" features Alvin as Jim Hawkins, Simon as Dr. Livesey, Theodore as Squire Trelawny, Dave as Long John Silver, and Brittany as Mrs. Hawkins.
- "Alvie's Angels" features the Chipettes as the Angels, Alvin as "Alvie Seville", Theodore as Ted Bombley, and Simon as himself.
- "Maltese Chipmunk": Alvin's dream ends with him saying "this could be the start of a beautiful friendship."
- "Alvin in Netherland" casts Alvin as Peter Pan, Brittany as Wendy Darling, Simon as John Darling, Theodore as Mr. Smee, Dave as Mr. Darling and Captain Hook, Jeanette as Tinker Bell, and Eleanor as Princess Tiger Lily.
- "Merry Christmas, Mr. Carroll" casts Dave, Theodore, and Simon as the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.
- "Daytona Jones and the Pearl of Wisdom" casts Alvin as Dr. Daytona Jones, Simon as Dr. Seri-Toga Jones, Theodore as a guide, and Brittany as Bambi.
- The Frankenstein Parody episode features Simon as Dr. Victor Frankenstein and Alvin and Theodore (at various points) as Frankenstein's Monster.
- "Star Wreck: The Absolute Final Frontier" includes Alvin as Captain James T. Dirk, Simon as Speck, Theodore as Dr. Moamz McRoy, Jeanette as Lieutenant Uhaha, and Eleanor as Ms. Supra.
- "Batmunk" casts Simon as Brice Wayne/Batmunk, Theodore as Happy the Butler, Brittany as Nicki Nale of the Chipmunk Quarterly, and Alvin as The Jokester
- The Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back Parody features Alvin as Luke Skywalker, Simon and Theodore as C-3PO and R2-D2, and Dave as Darth Vader.
- "Bigger!" features the three Chipmunks as "Alvin, Simon, and Theodore Smith", with Dave as "David Smith", while the three Chipettes play the three members of the Babes, Barbie, Annabelle, and Samantha.
- "Robomunk" features Alvin as Officer Malone/Robomunk, Simon as Dr. Simonize (likely a takeoff on the name of auto-care manufacturer Simoniz), Brittany as Officer Violet Bronson, Eleanor as The Mayor, and Theodore as Mr. Pinkie.
- "Irrational Buffoon's European Vacation" casts Dave as Clark Sevillewald, with the three Chipmunks playing Alvin, Simon, and Theodore Sevillewald, while Brittany shows up as Alvin's girlfriend. The episode also spoofs America's Funniest Home Videos.
- "Chip Tracy" features Alvin in the title role of Chip Tracy, Jeanette as Bess Blueheart, Theodore as Kiddo, Brittany as Breathmint Baloney/The Glove, Dave as Police Chief Bland, Eleanor as the doorwoman at Grumble's club, and Simon as Professor Laboratory.
- "Sploosh" includes Jeanette as Princess Montana, Simon as Trusty, Alvin as Dr. Buford Bubbles, Brittany as Miss Dalia, Eleanor as Montana's Maid, and Theodore as Montana's servant, Godfrey.
- Fictional "The Johnny Letterman Show" host Johnny Letterman from "Teevee or Not Teevee" is an amalgam of Johnny Carson and David Letterman.
- Name of the little girl Alvin, dressed as Santa Claus, asks during his scheme to make enough money to buy himself another Golden Echo Harmonica in "A Chipmunk Christmas" is Cindy Lou.
- Golfer Elmer Palmer in the episode "Match Play" is a parody of legendary golfer Arnold Palmer.
- Grandpa Seville's voice actor previously voiced two farmers, Aaron Slick of Aaron Slick from Punkin Crick and Farmer Smurf from The Smurfs.
- Show host Bobby Leach from "Dave's Dream Cabin" is a parody of Robin Leach of Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous.
- Name of the Chipettes' guardian while at the Australian orphanage in "A Chipette Story" was Olivia, a possible gender bent reference to Oliver Twist.
- The psychologist Alvin sees in "Alvin in Analysis" is Dr. Wiesenhiemer, a parody of sex therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer.
- In the first stanza of the opening theme song "It's been a while but we're back with style" may refer to the fact there was a decade hiatus of Chipmunk songs since Bagdasarian's untimely death and his son taking the mantle of Dave Seville in 1981.
The lyric "coming on stronger than ever before" may refer to their first cartoon show.
- Alvin gets a job to buy himself a TransGoGo Bot toy in "Alvin's Summer Job".
- The Chipmunks sing "I Enjoy Being a Girl" in "A Dog's Best Friend Is His Chipmunk".
- Dave's TV message to Alvin in "Grounded Chipmunks" makes a reference to Mission: Impossible by saying "Your mission, should you choose to accept it..." and "This tape will self-destruct in five seconds."
- In "Help Wanted: Mommy", the Chipettes sing "I Wanna be Loved by You" from the 1928 Good Boy musical.
- The place Dave's parents live in "Grandpa and Grandma Seville" and "How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm?" is called "South Spoon Ranch", a parody of Southfork Ranch.
- In "The Cruise," Simon pretends to be Sherlock Holmes and Theodore as his assistant, Doctor Watson.
- Lawrence Welk is mentioned in "The Return of Mr. Adventure."
- Publishing Wearhouse from "Big Dreams" is a parody of Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes.
- "Dance of The Hours" from the opera La Gioconda opera was specially given lyrics for "Mother's Day".
- Public Court from "Tell It to the Judge" spoofs The People's Court.
- Will Smith hosted the "Rockin' Through the Decades" special under the alias "Fresh Prince" and the "Witch Doctor" intro melody in was, in order of appearance, done in the style of Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen.
- Original Chipmunk song "Alvin's Harmonica" is heard in the background while Will Smith is on The '50s set.
- Clips from an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show with Rostom "Ross" Bagdasarian (aka Dave Seville), The Alvin Show musical segment "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" and "A Chipmunk Christmas" performing "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" are shown.
- Also, during the fifties era, Theodore sings "Tutti Frutti" and Alvin sings "Heartbreak Hotel" while both are dressed as the respective musician.
- On The '60s set, The Beatles, The Byrds, The Turtles and Three Dog Night are mentioned by Will.
- Will mentions Donna Summer, Stevie Wonder and The Bee Gees while on The '70s set.
- While singing "Crocodile Rock", Simon's dressed as Elton John.
- On The '80s set, Will mentions Michael Jackson being one of the musical giants.
- On The '90s set, while talking on the phone:
What do you mean Paula Abdul
's not available!? She didn't want to upset the cast? What about Janet Jackson
? Still on tour!?
- In order, Ben Vereen, Richard Moll, Kenny Loggins, a young Raven-Symoné, Shelley Duvall, Markie Post and Little Richard appear as themselves.
- During the end credits, clips from The Alvin Show, Alvin and the Chipmunks (episodes done by both Ruby-Spears and DiC/Mukarumi-Wolf-Swenson and The Chipmunk Adventure are shown.
- In "Cookie Chompers III," Alvin refers to himself as "Hulk Alvin."
- When both Chipmunks and Chipettes are shipwrecked on an island during "Island Fever," they decide to build houses and use what they can find to survive.
- Fictional Lifestyle of the Truly Fabulous from "Dave's Dream Cabin" is a parody of Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous.
- "A Rash of Babies" has the mention of Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel and The Rolling Stones.
- Episode plot of "The Gang's All Here" has the Chipmunks as well as the Chipettes rallying up a gang and failing to face against a gang called the Steam Rollers like in gang film Switchblade Sisters, where replacement leader Maggie and a couple of the Dagger Debs (Donut and Bunny) recruits Muff (played by Marlene Clark) and her gang of African-American militants from across town to take on newly arrived gang led by Crabs. Janice Karman, who voices both Theodore and all three Chipettes, played Bunny.
Also, how the Chipmunks faced the Steam Rollers at the roller rink with the Chipettes given them support as cheerleaders, is similar to a scene where the Dagger Debs and their male counterparts, Silver Daggers, have a showdown against Crabs' men in a roller rink. Only difference being when Theodore and his brothers need help against the Steam Rollers, do the Chipettes assist them and the Steam Rollers. Both Dagger Debs and Silver Daggers loose when the roller rink scene in Switchblade Sisters proves disastrous when Crabs' men show up armed with rifles and killing the boyfriend of the Dagger Deb's leader, who's brutally assaulted thus causing her to miscarry.
- Both Chipmunks and Chipettes attend Thomas Edison Elementary School.
- In one attempt to get Dave to remember himself in "Too Hip to be Dave," Alvin plays "Witch Doctor", "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't be Late)" and "We're the Chipmunks" on the piano.
- Through the show's run, the two groups done songs by The Go-Go's, Michael Jackson, Jack Silverman, Blondie, Irving Berlin, Olivia Newton-John, Queen, The Boomtown Rats, Gene Autry, The Beach Boys, Francis Scott Key, Stevie Nicks, Kenny Rogers, Leslie Gore, Kool & the Gang, Johnny Rivers, Billy Joel, Matthew Wilder, Pat Benatar, Neil Sedaka, Ella Fitzgerald, The Beatles, Bob Seger, Stray Cats, The BusBoys, Willie Nelson, Bill Haley & His Comets, Phil Shenale, Devo, The Cars, Kenny Loggins, Shirley Temple, Steppenwolf, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis and the News, Little Richard, Ray Parker Jr., ZZ Top, Bonnie Tyler, Madonna, Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, The Drifters, Sammy Davis Jr., Glenn Frey, Patti LaBelle, Pointer Sisters, The Who, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, The Bangles, Aretha Franklin, Robert Palmer, Randy Newman, John "Jellybean" Benitez, The Angels, The Isley Brothers, Jennifer Warnes, Sheb Wooley, Ben E. King, Otis Redding, Steve Lawrence, Linda Ronstadt, The Coasters, The Supremes, Kim Wilde, Buddy Holly, Wang Chung, Eddie Cochran, The Clovers, The Andrews Sisters, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Elvis Presley, The Searchers, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Ronettes, The Contours, The Moody Blues, The Everly Brothers, Ritchie Valens, Ray Charles, Tom Whitlock, James Brown, The Move, Fine Young Cannibals, Johnny O'Keefe, Iggy Pop, Roy Orbison, The Exciters, Paul Simon, Bobby Pickett, Scandal, Thin Lizzy, The Arrows and Giorgio Moroder, either more than once or two versions of the same song.
For the animated filmsnote :
The Chipmunk Adventure
- As Dave goes over his suitcase, Alvin comes running into the room:
Please Dave! I need a little culture in my life! The Eiffel Tower
, the Vatican
City Sistine Chapel, the Louvre in Rome
The Louvre is in Paris
- Dave goes on a business trip.
- When the race starts, the Chipmunks head off to Mexico City and the Chipettes get caught up in Hurricane 3 Arlene that Simon warned Jeanette about before reaching Bermuda.
- The Chipettes travel to Egypt where they pass Sphinx.
- When deciding on a shortcut, the Chipmunks camp in a jungle on uninhabited coral island Howland Island located just north of the equator in the central Pacific Ocean.
- Upon discovering Eleanor brought along the baby penguin, the Chipettes head to Antarctica where they discover Klaus and Claudia's ploy.
- Not the first time some native tribe mistook a character for a god.
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman
- References to the original Wolfman:
- Alvin recites the poem from the film.
Alvin: Even a man who is pure of heart, and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf's bane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.
- The Seville's new neighbor is Lawrence Talbot who's based on Lon Chaney, Jr.'s Larry Talbot. It's implied that he's the grandson of Larry Talbot from the films.
- Just like in the film, Talbot frantically grabs a person (Dave).
- Alvin explains that silver kills werewolves. Later, Madame Raya suggests hitting a werewolf with a silver cane, which was how the Wolfman was brought down in the original film.
- Mr. Talbot carries a cane with a silver top shaped like a wolf's head, similar to the one that slayed the Wolfman. Dave uses it to defend himself when Talbot transforms.
- One of the lyrics in "Monster Out in You":
Alvin & Simon:
How do you do?
What's up with you?
Little brother, Mister Hyde
How come you're howling at the moon tonight?...
- Both Chipmunks and Chipettes are in the school production of Jekyll & Hyde with Simon in the lead.
- The Chipmunks and Chipettes now attend "Clyde C. Crashcup Elementary School."
- While talking with Madame Raya, Alvin and Simon identifies Theodore as an "uncle".
- Film title reflects earlier Abbott and Costello horror spoofs like Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man.
- When Theodore transforms into a werewolf for the first time, an Alvin doll and a Simon doll from The Chipmunk Adventure are seen.
- On the Alvin and the Chipmunks Scare-Riffic Double Feature DVD, there's a werewolf on the front and back cover, which was supposed to be the wolfman from here but it's the wolfman from Monster Mash.
For the live-action filmsnote :
Little Alvin and the Mini-Munks
- A butterfly helps Lalu with the banner at the beginning along with a frog and cockatoo also helps Lalu around the house. Sounds familiar?
- After Gilda states the caution tape wrapped around the furniture is not only for kids but for frogs:
- While singing "Dump for Someone New," Alvin dresses up like Elvis Presley.
- Jeanette's not the first character who didn't use contractions.
- Honking from a car is heard outside:
- Alvin plays the role of Peter Pan whilst Lalu is Captain Hook.
- Simon shouts "IT'S ALIVE!" when he thinks he brought a dead plant back to life.
- Lalu reads The Blue Bird to the Chipmunks and Chipettes.
- Lalu's toilet isn't the first talking toilet around.
Alvin and the Chipmunks
- Coming home from getting fired:
- Alvin does the crane pose when playing with Simon and Theodore at Ian's mansion.
- In a couple scenes, the Chipmunks watch SpongeBob SquarePants, in what is most likely a nod to director Tim Hill's work as a writer on that show.
- While "helping" Dave on his date with Claire:
- Ian's show is a pun of King John Ill's dedication.
- When the Chipmunks deliberately ruin the concert after realizing they've been tricked by Ian, Alvin shouts "Yippee ki yay, mamacita!" alluding to his voice actor Justin Long appearing in Live Free or Die Hard as Matthew 'Matt' Farrell.
- Alvin plays Project Gotham Racing 3.
- A Guitar Hero CD is seen at one point in the movie.
- At one point, Alvin plays Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- The rocket Alvin fires at Simon and Theodore slowly knocks them backwards as it flies past them in Bullet Time.
- And the Chipmunk trio aren't the first rodents to go on a coffee rampage.
- Covers for The A-Files: Alien Songs, Sing Again with The Chipmunks, The Chipmunks Rock the House , The Chipmunk Adventure soundtrack, Christmas with The Chipmunks, Christmas with the Chipmunks: Vol. 2 (album), The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) (single), Chipmunk Rock, Alvin's Harmonica (single), Let's All Sing with The Chipmunks, David Seville and the Chipmunks sing Ragtime Cowboy Joe (single), The Alvin Show soundtrack, Sing Again with the Chipmunks, The Chipmunks and The Chipettes: Born to Rock, David Seville and The Chipmunks presents Alvin's Orchestra (single), Rockin' Through the Decades soundtrack, Chipmunk Punk, Alvin for President by David Seville and The Chipmunks (single), and Chipmunks in Low Places are seen at the end of the credits.
- In The Stinger, Ian Hawke tries to get three squirrels to sing, a nod to scat singing virtual band formed in imitation of the Chipmunks known as The Nutty Squirrels that had a Top 40 hit in late 1959 with the song "Uh-Oh."
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
- While looking for Theodore at the zoo, Toby is asked to "look among the lions, the tigers and the bears."
- When the Chipettes introduce themselves to Ian, Jeanette mentions often feeling like an "Olivia", a nod to the girl who first took care of the baby Chipettes in the 80s/90s cartoon show.
- "You dirty rat!" is said twice, the first one to an actual rat.
- When Ian's taking the Chipettes to his "penthouse apartment:"
- Upon the Chipettes entering Ian's 'penthouse', Eleanor mentions that it's the best tree house ever, referring to the tree house they lived in during the 80s/90s cartoon show before they moved in with Miss Miller.
- Looking out Ian's so-called apartment window:
- Alvin sings part of Daydream Believer.
- "The name's Seville, Alvin Seville."
- To Ian:
- Toby: There are going to be fists of fury a flyin'.
- Anna Faris previously voiced an intelligent, bespectacled character in a movie released three months prior.
- Another movie starring Alvin's voice actor Justin Long is referred to during dodge ball, between Alvin and Ryan:
- While playing dodge ball:
- Alvin sings a parody of "Stayin' Alive" when trying to open the bag of cheese balls.
- Upon entering classroom:
- "I'll take 'Frightening Thoughts' for $500, Alex."
- During the football game:
(he and team are huddled in a circle
) All right boys, time to bring out the Big A. Alvin:
(Jumps onto Ryan's shoulder
) I'm gonna crush them! I'm bringing the pain! The Alvinator
is in the house! Xander:
A chipmunk? Ryan:
Coach said we need to go with a secret weapon. Time to make history boys. Alvin:
(to opposing team member, after everybody gets into position
) I'm gonna crack you like an acorn and eat you for dinner! With some fava beans and a nice chianti
- When the Chipettes are singing to Ian on the rooftop, a poster advertising 24 can be seen in the background.
- An Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull poster can be seen.
- Honor Society, Charice, Quest Crew and NASCAR mascot Digger the Gopher appear.
- The cover case for Soul Calibur III appears on a table.
- To Ian, after rescuing the Chipettes on the borrowed scooter:
- When Toby's sleeping in bed, a Fallout 3 video case is seen next to him.
- The Chipmunks watch Meerkat Manor on TV, which ties in with their need to live with each other as family.
- After their first day of school, the Chipmunks are playing the Wii Bowling game with Toby.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
- In the teaser trailer, a portion of Céline Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" can be heard at the beginning.
- Not to mention in both said trailer and movie, Alvin's standing at the bow's railing:
- Alvin tears off his pajamas to reveal a white tuxedo.
- Both Chipmunks and Chipettes become shipwrecked on an island.
- Captain of the ship is named Captain Corelli.
- After Simon reassures Dave that he wasn't gambling, a pit boss brings him a basket of chips:
- Ian mentions turning down Justin Bieber twice.
- Theodore is seen watching Big Time Rush.
- Zoe has been stranded on an island for too long and has five sport balls for friends.
- Zoe's basketball friend resembles Totoro.
- She even has individual names for each ball. Rawling, the baseball, is named for baseball equipment maker Rawlings. Spalding, the basketball, shares its name with an American sporting goods manufacturer. Callaway, the golf ball, is named for the Callaway Golf Company. And Nerf, the football, is named for the toy brand best known for foam-based weaponry and similar toys.
- At one point Zoe's basket ball rolls straight after Jeanette and she sprints from it as if it were a giant boulder.
- When Eleanor grabs a hold of the mango that she, her sisters and the Chipmunks are fighting over:
- In the end, Ian reveals that he sold Zoe's story to Hollywood and actress Keira Knightley has expressed in playing her, thus restoring his career.
- While on the island, toward the end, Jeanette sees a basketball heading her way, invoking her to run from it.
- Simon's alter ego 'Simone' somewhat resembles Pepé Le Pew.
- Simon was first referred to as 'Simone' (pronounced "See-mon") in the Chipmunks' 1967 track Sorry About That, Herb.
- There's even a log bridge scene.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip
- In-universe, the Chipettes host American Idol.
- Suggs stops an elevator door from closing and as it reopens he says "Heeere's Suggsy!"!
- A highly disturbing example that will sail over the heads of any kids/average filmgoer. In defense of John Waters insulting his manners, Alvin snipes "No thanks, I saw Pink Flamingos."