Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous is an MTV mockumentary show that debuted in May 2013. Co-created by and starring comedian Bo Burnham, the series features the protagonist, Zach Stone, blowing his life savings on a camera crew to document his "pre-celebrity" life and his attempts to become a celebrity. Each episode features a different scheme of his to gain popularity and how it affects the people around him.
After a 12 episode first season, the show was officially cancelled due to low ratings.
Tropes associated with the show include:
- Aside Glance: Zach's family and friends frequently take to the camera whenever Zach does something stupid.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Zach and his brother.
- Banister Slide: In the first episode, Zach tries to do this, only to break it.
- Bittersweet Ending: Zach and Amy finally get together to begin a relationship without Zach needing to be famous, when Zach is suddenly mobbed by a small group who are now fans of his following his appearance on the news. Zach starts singing his theme song as he signs an autograph and Amy is shown growing unhappier.
- In the first episode, Zach makes an attempt to slide down the wooden banister on his staircase, only to break it. In a subsequent episode, the banister is shown to be put back with duck tape.
- Also, during the pilot's theme song, Zach knocks some mail from his mother's hands. In the second episode's theme, he tries the same, but she quickly moves it away.
- The finale's theme song is a modified recreation of the first episode's.
- Couch Gag: Each episode features a different theme song (while still using the same melody) related to Zach's scheme in the episodes.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Zach makes a few good points, like when he talked about how a person with no talent could become famous and how celebrity chefs are known more for their personality than skill.
- "Fawlty Towers" Plot: "Zach Stone is Gonna Be a Famous Chef".
- Green-Eyed Monster: Nick gets jealous and has an argument with Amy when she plans to spend the night with Zach (and several others) in the "haunted" house.
- I'm Standing Right Here: Zach calls the boom operator "fat" in one episode, and the camera pans to see his unhappy face.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Most episodes are titled "Zach Stone Is Gonna ___".
- Like Brother and Sister: Zach and Amy, as stated by Amy to Nick.
- Oblivious to Love: Zach to Amy (and vice versa when she starts dating Nick).
- Running Gag: Various locations having names ending with "hole"
- Zach putting duct tape over various logos and posters, as he doesn't have the rights to use them
- Straight Man: Pretty much everyone when paired with Zach.
- Though he becomes a straight man to others, such as his boss and the female contestants in "Zach Stone is Gonna Be the Zachelor"
- Waxing Lyrical: In "Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Scary" house episode, Zach recites some of the lyrics of the theme song of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
- Zany Scheme: Zach's attempts to be famous come across this way.