XHDRBZ (stylized as XHDЯBZ, pronounced "Equis Hache Derbez"), also known as "XH Derbez", is a Mexican humor TV show created by Eugenio Derbez. Its name comes from the initials "XH", which are satellital code for Mexican radio and TV, and the letters "DRBZ", which are consonants for "Derbez", creator of the show. It gets its name because the show emulated a TV channel.
It premiered July 15th, 2002 and finished airing March 10th, 2004 on Canal de las Estrellas. Nowadays the show is aired in the pay channels Distrito Comedia and Comedy Central for all of Latin America, as well as occasionally at weekends in the afternoon by Canal de las Estrellas (over-the-air TV).
XHDRBZ provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Backwards Я: The show is known for using this letter in place of the actual R in every written sign and card.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Miguel Luis from "Sección Imposible" says redundant things to which the segment says "Palabras inmortales de Miguel Luis" (Immortal words from Miguel Luis), and writes the quote as if it was a memorable phrase.
- Double Entendre: The whole purpose of the sketch "Hablemos Blanco" (Let's Talk Wholesome)note
- Literal-Minded: Hans Pujenheimer note from the segment "¡Que alguien me explique!" (Someone Explain To Me!) when he hears and complains about Mexican sayings.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: "Las 5 Herencias" stars the calm, forgiving Simón Paz and the irascible, judgmental Nelson Guerra.