Wrecked is a comedic Lost Parody on the network TBS. The show's premise starts off with a plane crash onto a tropical but barren island, with many survivors including the main character, a seemingly cynical flight attendant named Owen. Other characters include Danny, a Consummate Liar; Pack, an anxious sports agent; Emma, a podiatrist who dies from mengshu fever within the first few episodes; Florence, a street smart Straw Feminist; Karen, a depraved statistical analysis executive for Bing; Todd, a spoiled Jerkass; Jess, Todd's girlfriend and later wife; and Steve, a New Zealander.
The show premiered on June 14th, 2016 and has been renewed for a second season in 2017 and a third season in 2018.
This show provides examples of:
- Artistic License – Medicine: In season 1, Emma identifies an ambiguous disease, which she calls it mengshu fever (a la Lost). The disease almost instantly kills anyone who is infected and the symptoms include paleness, high fever, dehydration, and vomiting blood. It is unknown how it is transferred from person to person.
- Asshole Victim: Played with. Steve tries justifying his murder of Turdhole as this when he's revealed posthumously to be a Neo-Nazi. The others however are quick to remind him he didn't know that, and he still murdered a guy.
- Black Comedy Cannibalism: During a starvation (or drug)-induced hallucination, Pack consumes part of a corpse, after some coaxing.
- Chekhov's Gun:
- "Always shoot the hostage." Danny tells Owen to shoot the hostage in a hostage situation, if one of them or anyone else is held at gunpoint. In the season 1 finale, Owen shoots Danny in the leg and ambushes Steve.
- "The Florence Way." Florence pretends to lose her bra in season 2 to distract the pirates so that the survivors can ambush them. It comes back in the season finale when Danny pretends to lose his pants to get away from Corey.
- Deserted Island: It wouldn't be a Lost parody if the characters weren't on a deserted island, right?
- Island of Mystery: The second island in the season 2 finale. The island is full of land mines and it is possible that they are being watched by some people.
- Lost at Sea: Todd and Florence find themselves lost at sea the next morning when trying to escape, with their food, supplies, and a deadly sick Emma floating away from them.
- Married at Sea: Todd and Jess on the pirate cruise ship, with the ceremony officiated by Corey.
- Pirate Booty: Pack and Steve find over $100,000 worth of ransom money on the cruise ship.
- Rape, Pillage, and Burn: The pirates capture a Hot Chili Red Peppers parodied cruise ship, and attack the ship boarders.
- Running Gag:
- Nobody knows who Corey is, even when he introduces himself on several occasions.
- All the summaries in DirecTV always end with "The island makes a discovery that could change everything."