Trail Of Lies, or Amor à Vida in its original Brazilian Portuguese, is a Telenovela created by Walcyr Carrasco and broadcast by Rede Globo in its 9PM Timeslot from May 20th, 2013 to January 31st, 2014. The series follows the wealthy Khoury Family, owners of the illustrous San Magno Hospital in São Paulo, and the primary plotline revolves around the romance between Paloma, a doctor who's the youngest child of the hospital's owners, and Bruno dos Santos Araújo, a simple and hard-working realtor.
12 years ago, after Paloma shockingly discovered that she was actually adopted, she ran off with Ninho while was in a trip in Peru. When she found that she was pregnant, she returned to Brazil, while Ninho ended in prison in Bolivia for trying to traffick drugs. When Ninho was finally able to return to Brazil, he and Paloma got into a serious fight and ended up breaking off. Paloma then ends up giving birth to her daughter in the bathroom of a bar, having several complications and going unconscious. It's in this state that her older brother Felix found her and since he had always secretly wished to get rid off her so that he would no one to compete with for his inherance, he took the baby away and left Paloma there to die.
Felix then proceed to abandon the baby in a trash bin, where she was fortunately found by Bruno, who had just lost his wife and son due to complications during labor. He took her in and with the help of a doctor and his mother, who was a nurse, he had her registered as his own daughter and named her Paulinha. Around this time, Paloma was brought to her family's hospital in time to save her life. There, she ended up meeting Bruno and, unknowningly to either of them, her own daughter. In the present, they are reunited with each other and end up falling in love.
It is notable for featuring the first major gay character and the first kiss between two male characters in a Brazilian Novela, villain Felix Khoury played by Mateus Solano in an acclaimed performance.
The novela contains examples of:
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Though Felix may look like a dedicated son and loving brother at first, in actuality he's a very conniving person who would stop at nothing to ensure that he is the only heir to his parents' fortune and also to take over control of the San Magno.
- Cain and Abel: Felix always resented his adoptive little sister Paloma for taking away part of his future inherance, to the point that he left her to bleed to death after she had a complicated birth in the bathroom of a bar.
- Death by Childbirth: This is the fate of Bruno's wife and son at the start of the novela, and gets subverted in Paloma's case, for while she had a very complicated birth in the bathroom of a bar and nearly bled to death, she got taken to her family's hospital on time.
- Evil Uncle: Felix to Paulinha, considering that he abandoned her in a trash bin when she was just a newborn, just because he didn't want to have another heir to compete with for his inherance. He gets better, though.
- Easily Forgiven: Pilar reveals in the finale that she is the one behind the car crash that killed Cesar`s mistress and is promptly forgiven, made more shocking by the fact that said mistress daugther had recently kidnaped Cesar and druged him to the point of brain damage as revenge for her mother`s death.
- Gold Digger: Valdirene is a comedic example, constantly encouraged by her mother to find a rich and famous husband, or just become famous period.
- Happily Adopted: Though Paulinha doesn't know she is adopted, because her father Bruno had her registered as his biological daughter after found her in a trash bin, she's clearly very happy with her family.
- HeelFace Turn: Felix.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Felix always felt that his father favored Paloma and that no matter how well he did in his job at the family's hospital, it would never be enough for him.