In 2005, an Australian version of The X Factor was created, consisting of a 13 episode season that was cancelled due to low ratings. However, in 2010, it was Uncancelled via a Channel Hop and, after undergoing a major Continuity Reboot, has been a strong hit with the Australian public until its second cancellation in 2016, partly due to the eighth season being the lowest-rated season of the show, ending the successful ratings streak that began with the second season and that the inclusion of Iggy Azalea as a judge was criticised by fans and critics and blamed for the show's demise (not helped by the fact that she fell into obscurity not long before).
The judges from the 2005 season were:
- Mark Holden, mentor of the groups.
- Kate Ceberano, mentor of the 16-24s.
- John Reid, mentor of the over 25s.
The judges in the current series are:
- Guy Sebastian (2010-2012, 2015-2016), Australian recording artist and winner of the first season of Australian Idol. Known for his down-to-earth approach to his contestants, he balanced kindness with constructive criticism, although draws attraction for lengthy speeches. Won twice with Reece Mastin and Samantha Jade. Returned for 2015 onwards.
- Kyle Sandilands (2010), radio and television personality. Known for his tough critiques, he is one of the harder to please judges the show has had. Left after one season due to the show being to hectic for his schedule.
- Natalie Imbruglia (2010), Australian recording artist known outside her native country almost solely for her hit "Torn". Was a very sunny personality at the judging table.
- Ronan Keating (2010-2014), Member of the Boy Band Boyzone. While usually serious in tone, he knows when to lighten up.
- Mel B, AKA "Scary Spice", (2011-2012, 2016), former member of the Spice Girls. In contrast to many female judges on Idol and other X Factor versions, she is very abrasive in her judging style, even choosing to eliminate her own when she could have taken it too deadlock. Returned in 2016.
- Natalie Bassingwaigthe (2011-2014) Australian recording artist. Known for her Cloud Cuckoo Lander style of judging, and screaming when an attractive contestant came on stage.
- Dannii Minogue (2013-2015) Again. Won with Dami Im. Not known for the best choices in songs or contestants.
- Redfoo (2013-2014) American rapper (LMFAO), who notably did not know about the franchise until being asked to join. Possibly a bigger Cloud Cuckoo Lander than Natalie.
- Chris Isaak (2015) While he seemed like a tough guy at first, his strong bonds with his contestants moved him too tears more then once.
- James Blunt (2015) A bit of an oddball, and managed to cause arguments with all other judges.
- Adam Lambert (2016), American Idol 2009 runner-up.
- Iggy Azalea (2016), Australian rapper, better known for her hit single "Fancy".
Winners, their categories, and mentors:
- Season 1 (2005): Random, Groups, Mark Holden
- Season 2 (2010): Altiyan Childs, Over 25s, Ronan Keating
- Season 3 (2011): Reece Mastin, Boys, Guy Sebastian
- Season 4 (2012): Samantha Jade, Over 25s, Guy Sebastian
- Season 5 (2013): Dami Im, Over 24s (changed from over 25s), Dannii Minogue
- Season 6 (2014): Marlisa Punzalan, Girls, Ronan Keating
- Season 7 (2015): Cyrus Villanueva, Boys, Chris Isaak
- Season 8 (2016): Isaiah Firebrace, Under 22s, Adam Lambert
- Canon Discontinuity: The first season is hardly ever referenced in later seasons.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Natalie Bassingwaigthe and Red Foo fight out for this title. As for the contestants, Dami Im has her moments.
- The Determinator: Samantha Jade was in the Bottom 2 three times, including the the first week, yet still won the entire show.
- Expy: Kyle Sandilands is like an Australian Simon Cowell.
- Final Season Casting: Inverted, the first season's judges and host are different from all the other seasons.
- Funny Foreigner: Red Foo was the only American on an Australian show (before Adam Lambert joined in the final season), and it shows. Dami Im, who was born in South Korea, counts to a lesser extent as well.
- Good Is Boring: Samantha Jade has this thrown at her a lot, with her detractors claiming she has little personality to put into her singing.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Natalie is an Australian recording artist whose very excitable . . . is a sentence that can be applied to both Imbruglia and Bassingwaigthe.
- Transplant: Several. The most obvious one is Dannii Minogue from the British version. Kyle Sandilands was also a judge on Australian Idol for a while and Guy Sebastian won its' first season. All three have/are on the panel.
- Taylor Henderson was originally on Australia's Got Talent before becoming a finalist on X Factor. Interestingly, Dannii Minogue was a judge at the time.